Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to handle the transaction when finace owing

Options
  • 12-02-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭

Ok, so here's the story:

I'm interested in buying a car from a guy in the uk (private sale). I rang him and discussed the car and it's fine, and he's willing to accept my offer.

He tells me (without me asking) that there's finance owing on the car with the dealer he bought it from (It's only 8 months old so that's understandable). I told him that for me to give him cash wouldn't be wise, as obviously I can't know if he's paid the finance or not.

He suggested that I could pay the finance for him as a way of carrying out the deal.

Now what I am wondering is how I handle this transaction cleverly.

I could do with advice on how to make it as safe as possible and and help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Arrange to go to the Financial Institution with the seller and pay the outstanding balance over the counter. Get a receipt and/or letter from them stating that the HP/loan has been settled in full.

Advertisement