Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trek Hybrid

Options
  • 12-02-2008 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

Anybody know where I'd get a Trek Hybrid for a good price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Trek pricing is pretty standardised and they have a strict "dealer only" policy. Joe Dalys in Dundrum are a very good bike shop and Trek dealer- I'd try there.

If you are looking second-hand, www.buyandsell.ie, www.gumtree.ie and www.adverts.ie are your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I would have always recommended the UCD bike shop, that's where I got mine years ago and I've sent a few friends to get theirs there too, like my flatmate who also got one only a few months ago for a really good price. They're all ex-rental, kept in really great condition, and are only renatals for something like 6 months to 1 year. Mine's lasted me 6 years so far, and counting!

However, apparently the UCD bike shop is under new ownership now, as of a month or so (according to my flatmate who went in the other day for new brake blocks) and they're not the nicest people (they also replaced the 'buckled' wheel without asking her and charged her €45 for it - there was nothing wrong with her wheel that a tightening of the spokes wouldn't have fixed).

So basically, they seem a bit dodgey now so perhaps they might not be the best to go to (I'm not even sure if they still do the ex-rentals any more now that new people are running it) but definitely give it a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Didn't know about that change of ownership. I've always found UCD Bike Shop to be very good indeed. Are the two Robs still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I don't know to be honest, I've not needed any repairs or anything in a while so not been in there for about a year now, but my flatmate said the person who randomly changed her wheel etc said that it was under new ownership. I always found them really nice and really great mechanics too so I was pretty surprised by what she said. I presume they're not, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

EireEV wrote: »
    Hi,

Anybody know where I'd get a Trek Hybrid for a good price?

Any reason you want to limit yourself to one particular brand?

If the prices are fixed it maybe be harder to get a discount. While bikes on www.chainreactioncycles.com and http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/ can have a good 30% off, and decent brands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

cosmic wrote: »
    I would have always recommended the UCD bike shop, that's where I got mine years ago and I've sent a few friends to get theirs there too, like my flatmate who also got one only a few months ago for a really good price. They're all ex-rental, kept in really great condition, and are only renatals for something like 6 months to 1 year. Mine's lasted me 6 years so far, and counting!

However, apparently the UCD bike shop is under new ownership now, as of a month or so ...

+1 for that. My commuter is from there and it's perfect - sturdy, tough and reliable.

The two Robs were legends so I was very surprised to go in the other day and there to be no sign of them. I wouldn't agree about the new folk being unfriendly as the guy working there when I was in was very helpful. Still though, since UCD isn't handy for me anymore I'll look for a new place - I was only going back for the two Robs - great mechanics and great characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

keep an eye on adverts.ie, buy and sell etc. i picked up a brand spanking new trek 7.5fx for 450. srp is £500/800.

re: campus bikeshop, one of the robs was in a serious cycling accident and i'm not sure whats happened wee rob, he was there until a few weeks ago. I made a point of doing all my business in there and was going to get my hybrid there - only the one on adverts was to good to miss. When the shop was busy the lads used to lend tools to say put on a wheel if you knew how - the new owner seems to have a new policy. One of the newlads (a helpful chap from somewhere in eastern europe) was reluctant to lend me an allen key to attch a bottle and cage i'd just bought, mainly on the basis he'd get a bollicking over it. Based on the way the lads had ran it, i thought it strange but new owner would explain a change in policy.

Advertisement