Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overuse of technical words

• 12-02-2008 9:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭

I am reading what claims to be a "non-technical summary", yet it contains words like "interrelates" and "disamentity".

If I want to complain, is it correct to call the text verbose? I have a feeling I'm wrong. Comments welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

what does disamentity mean?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

CSU wrote: »
    what does disamentity mean?:confused:
    A lack of amenity. An state of environmental nuisance.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disamenity
    disamenity (plural disamenities)

A disadvantage or drawback, especially of a location

Example: The noise and dust from the steel works created substantial disamenity for the nearby retirement home.

My original definition (in the wiktionary history) was "Containing any undesired and unpleasing feature(s)."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Victor wrote: »
    I am reading what claims to be a "non-technical summary", yet it contains words like "interrelates" and "disamentity".

If I want to complain, is it correct to call the text verbose? I have a feeling I'm wrong. Comments welcome.

I would say verbose would not be the correct term to use.

Verbose ,to me would be the use of far too many words to describe a simple deed ,thing, or action.

So what word would you use? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I wouldn't use verbose either, why use one word? two words would probably describe the sentiment more accurately. Something like 'overly complex' or just plain 'too complex' sounds right to me.

• Advertisement

I think I'll go with "Inappropriate use of technical / complicated language".

No don't go for that. "Inappropriate "suggests something that is not suitable or could be offensive.

"Not user friendly:)"

Its meant to be something that ordinary people can read - plain English. I contend it is inappropriate as it creates an information barrier.

What about "Use of inappropriate technical...etc" rather than "Inappropriate use of technical.etc." ???

Advertisement