Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing motherboard with XP installed harddisk.

Options
  • 12-02-2008 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭

hi guys:)

my mobo is broken ,so i am changing a new one,unluckily i cant get the exact same one.
    i have this harddisk with my stuffs inside before the mobo gone (with windows XP installed) and i have a completely new harddisk.

i heard that there will be problems if i just simply change the mobo and connect with the XP installed harddisk?

any suggestion?thank you in advance.

*both HD are SATAII

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Virgil°

I got away with switching mobo's with an xp install on a hard drive.I changed from a p965 to a p35 . Its a hit and miss thing as far as i know. Might as well try it. Just be prepared to format.
    In fact if you manage to get into windows at all id back up yer stuff and format anyway.Just to have a clean start.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

+1. Chuck your stuff onto an external USB HD or something and reformat. Why not give your lovely new mobo a clean bed to lie in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

right then...now i need to find a way to backup stuffs on my other external HD...how do i do that?since i have no cable to connect that internal HD to my laptop?

it wont do harm if i still try that internal HD with new mobo right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

You might get welcomed by blue screens ;)
    if you haven't got an external just put the sata into a friends pc and back it up you can use windows backup .

got the mobo from Dabs.ie today,not bad,5days delivery.

anyway,i still havent backup my old HD stuffs at my friend's house,just wondering,

if i am gonna try to connect my new HD to the mobo,install XP,then,connect my old HD to the mobo,hows tat sound?should i do it while the XP running or turn off everything?i will use the new HD as my main drive anyway,the old one will be formated and for using as a 2nd drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭x keo21

hey i will be doing this also, when you get around to doing this will you post the outcome ? etc
    sorry but could you say what system spec you have?

havent tried this:) maybe tomorrow,busy these days

mobo:gigabyte m56s-s3 AM2 socket
    CPU:AMD X2 6000+

Advertisement