Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pc remote

Options
  • 12-02-2008 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

hey all have been getting very lazy of late so i decided i wanted a remote for my pc, so i goggled this little mod when looks fairly simple nd many people have had success with:
    [HTML]http://www.instructables.com/id/PC-remote-control/[/HTML]

the serial version is much less complex compared with the usb counterpart, needs drivers, onboard programed pic ect.

now my mb (giga-byte P35 DS3R)does not have a serial port on it but has a serial header. does anyone know if i can creat a socket that i can wire directly into the header or where i can get the port connection for this?

thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

This should help

cpx102_2p7.gif
    Line 1: CD - carrier detect
    Line 2: RXD - receive data
    Line 3: TXD - transmit data
    Line 4: DTR - data terminal ready
    Line 5: GND - system ground
    Line 6: DSR - data set ready
    Line 7: RTS - request to send
    Line 8: CTS - clear to send
    Line 9: RI - ring indicator

Note - line 1 of ribbon cable is marked red.

I might have a header --> Serial connection PCI bracket I could send you, ill have a look

Btw seems like loads of work, you can get similar bluetooth solutions for 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

do you mind to give web/shop name where from i can get it in 20€
    conzymaher wrote: »
    This should help

cpx102_2p7.gif

I might have a header --> Serial connection PCI bracket I could send you, ill have a look

Btw seems like loads of work, you can get similar bluetooth solutions for 20 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

hey thanks for the links, could not find a deacent solutioin for under 60 euro before, obviously lookin in the wrong places.

its not that hard to build to be honest about 15min soulderin, im an engineer salvaged all the parts from other things the serial port was the only draw back.
    but that dealextreme does look quite nice, if you have a spare serial bracket i might take it off ur hands for compensation of course are u going to midlans?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Nope I have no PC atm... :D

Ill have a root around for that bracket, it could be anywhere, I can post it to you or give it to papu, hes going to midlans...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭poggy

conzymaher wrote: »
    Nope I have no PC atm... :D

Ill have a root around for that bracket, it could be anywhere, I can post it to you or give it to papu, hes going to midlans...

ya sure if you have it send it with him it would be much appreciated, but dont go to any extra trouble. set ur price:)

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭WEST

Hi,
    Some greats deals in that site. I'm thinking of getting the €15 remote from Dealextreme. Would anyone know if it works with either Microsoft Media center, GB-PVR or Media potal?

Thanks,
    W.

Advertisement