Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats this about? (Oil)

Options
  • 12-02-2008 10:12pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Driving a 99 Golf, i put oil into it yesterday after the red light came on the night before. Anytime i turn the ignition since ive got a message saying Service: Oil where the trip counter normally is underneath the mileage of the car. Its only there for 10-15 seconds and then goes again.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Its a service indicator.. This can be easily reset... Usually ties in with the mileage covered since the the last reset

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anyway i could do it myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

The car just needs an oil and maybe filter change. When was the last time the car was serviced? If it was recent then they for got to reset the service timer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

It was serviced in August when i bought it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

* Turn on ignition.
    * Hold down Right trip button and continue to do so whilst turning off ignition.
    * Still with Right trip button held down turn ignition back on.
    * Release Right trip button.
    * With ignition still on turn Left trip button to the Right and release.
    * Turn off ignition.

Service reminder should now be reset when you next start the vehicle! This will reset if for 10,000 miles or a year whichever comes first. Car doesn't need anything more than likely, service indicator only counts down miles/date since it was last reset, has no diagnostic capability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement