Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much to Borrow?

Options
  • 12-02-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

Myself and the missus are looking at taking the plunge and buying a property and I'm wondering if you knowledgeable folk could suggest the maximum mortgage we should have without being over-stretched. We are both teachers with a combined salary of around €80k. We have no current debts and a deposit of around €30k.

We have only started to look but I'm wondering what should be the maximum priced house we should look at without the rest of our lives being a total misery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Estimated amounts vary widely even within banks however with secure jobs and no debts I would say €400k. Its a pure guess but it'd be in the ballpark I'd imagine. EBS i found very helpful with my enquiries.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

as teachers you will qualify for close if not 100% mortgage, on the plus side your income is guaranteed to rise as you both moe up the scale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

I'd have a chat with a mortgage broker first. He/she can give you an indication of how much you can get, but also how much you can afford to pay.

Best way is one recommended by a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭confuzed

well, it also depends upon your age. For how many yrs you want mortgage. One sensible idea is, keep your mortgage around 1/3 of your income. It will allow you to enjoy your life (holidays), save a little money for other mishaps (they do occur, it's life after all).
    I have seen few young couples having squeezed their life to job and mortgage only because bank gave them huge amounts for big homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭El Stuntman

have you considered the likely direction of the property market over the medium-term? All indicators are that continued large falls will continue for years as the bubble bursts and prices subsdide to long-term equilibrium.

You may be better off to continue renting, saving and you will be able to pick up a better house in 2/3 years time - far cheaper and with more favourable mortgage terms

Don't rush this decision, it may affect your life for decades to come

• Advertisement
Advertisement