Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the real forests now!

Options
  • 12-02-2008 10:47pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

There seems to be very little deciduous forest around, i know of only one good one near me in dublin/wicklow it is truly amazing. Its about 100-150 acres filled with beech and oak and even yew all under pinned with holly and hazel... Its a magical place and not many people go there!! I seen some in the galitys mts and bits and pieces in around carlow but unsure if they were private or not.. There are large tracts of oak up near glenmalure but its all fenced of...
    I just cant stand that other standard factory forest.. any one got any good spots the found.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

I know that theres over 100 hectares of ancient woodland in Stradbally in Laois. Theres also native woodland around the Lough Derg area in Clare.

Down where I am, theres a bit in Lismore but thats all really.

Hopefully this will change in the future with the increase in broadleaf afforestation happening now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

Did you hear that coillte intend to plant a more varied range of tree species in their future planting programs. They intend to mix conifers and deciduous together in a 1.2:10 ratio.. prob a good idea but it would be great to see more natured sites even 10acres here and there would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

If only coillte could get over its clearfell policy. If other countries can operate selective felling policies retaining with canopy cover, why not us? Grant aid has changed the forest landscape by offering higher grants for broadleaves over the last 10 years. The future is looking better.

Advertisement