Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

After Death - How does the Will Work

• 12-02-2008 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

My mother made a will a few years ago and I (her son) and the executor. There are a few of us in the family and everything is split evenly including the family home.

My question is, do the solicitors who hold the will try to get some of the estate for themselves? Or do we pay tax on any inheritance that was willed to us i.e. money, our share of the sale of the house etc?

Thanks

GF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dats_right

1. The solicitor will not charge unless you instruct them to administer the estate, you don't have to of course, this is a matter for you.

2. You are entitled, as executor, to have the will released to you. You must then extract a grant of probate and administer the estate according to the terms thereof. (More usual for solicitor to do it, but not impossible for layman to do it. Many forms to fill-out, such as inland revenue afidavit, oath of executor, obtain valuations etc.) Then if you are keeping family home, after grant has been extracted, you will have to have property transferred into your names via deeds of assent then register with land registry or registry of deeds depending on the type of title involved.

3. Re Inheritance tax properly known as CAT you will need to visit www.revenue.ie and thoroughly familiarise yourself with rules. As a general guide a child can receive about €500,000 from a parent tax free, but previous gifts from parent are taken into account so any previous gifts will reduce this accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pjimjim

I am a beneficiary of my brothers will but my other brother who is the executor is refusing to show me the will. I just want to see it to make sure all is in order because my brother already tried to cheat me out of inheritance before. Does anyone know if I have a legal right to see the will before it is proven?? Also there was no reading of the will to the beneficiaries, is this legal? Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

ahhhh money

it really brings out the best in people

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Contact your solicitors.

No legal advice.

Please read the forum charter and stickies before posting again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement