Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

338 Lapu mag and f-class

Options
  • 12-02-2008 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Is there many 338 Lapua mag rifles been used for F-class, ifso are they winning their fair share of matches, paul.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭pestshooter7

Not into this type of shooting but im pretty sure 338 isnt used that much!
    Its more a big game caliber i think!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I think a few are licensed in Ireland{gunshop rumours:D} never heard tell of them being used in comps.I Believe their not allowed in Bisley because they chew up the backstops too much.Anywho,the 6.5 284's and 7mm's are plenty good for 600 and 1000, when we get the latter in Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Hi ranger4,

There was a guy using a .338 down in the Midlands. It didn't prove to be very good in competition against the 6.5's etc. Expensive to run with lots of barrel wear, same for the 300win mag.

Fired the RPA .338 over in Bisley before the restriction, done that, big bang and bought the T-shirt.

RPA .338.JPG

Leave this type of thing for the posers:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

I do not shoot this discipline but a few things I have observed over the years.
    As Remmy & V Bull wrote, the 6.5mm and 6mm cartridges rule this game.

It is all about recoil and cost.
    Think about this scenario: The first relay allows unlimited sighters to zero-in, a typical stage -string of fire- will be either 10, 15 or 20 rounds in the same number of minutes . And you do that 3 times, with a rifle that is limited to a maximum of 10 kg/22 lb. (F-Open), that is including scope (and bipod if used). AND ....No Muzzle Brakes Allowed. The .338 @ 10 kg/22 lb. (F-Open) with no muzzle brake......is very punishing for that kind of shooting. It should probably weigh 30-35 lb...
    The top shooters will do 90% or better on X count. On a 1/2 moa X ring.
    Anyway from 600 out it is all about reading the wind. Not the rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This has been annoying me all day.

I thought there as an 8 mm limit

.338 is over 8 mills so I thought it was not a calibre allowed for F-Class

• Advertisement

Vegeta,
    In F-Class there are two shooting categories, Open and F/TR. in Open class, in addition to a scope and rest you are also allowed to shoot most any caliber you want. In open class shooting with a tripod front rest and a rear bag is allowed as well. The other category in F-class is for F/TR. F/TR rules at this years national championship, are: 308/223 only, weight limit of 18.15 lbs. (includes anything attached to the rifle), shot off a bi-pod (no rail gun or return to battery set up).
    http://f-classinfo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The reason I ask is because I asked an F-Class shooter were many people using the .338 lapua mag and he told me it couldn't be used due to a limit of 8mm

Taken from the www.dcra.ca who I think were one of the originators of F-Class
    (i) Any rifle of up to 8mm calibre may be used (see also Rule 11.21), but 'rail guns' and similar devices which provide positive mechanical method(s) for returning to the precise point of aim for the prior shot are not permitted (see also Rule 11.15(2)). The rifle may, incorporate an integral or attached mechanism for raising and lowering its butt. See also Rule 11.05(2)(d). Rule 11.05(1) also applies. NB: This maximum calibre limit of 8mm applies only to Connaught Range and Primary Training Centre; calibre limits for events held at other venues may differ, so must be determined and promulgated in advance by the organizers of those events.

So basically its a range thing, each range can have their own calibre limit but 8mm seems to be the norm

Cool thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

So in theroy a 338 with a brake can be used for OPEN F-class, is this correct.

ranger4 wrote: »
    So in theroy a 338 with a brake can be used for OPEN F-class, is this correct.

Hi ranger4,

Incorrect.
    No Muzzle Brakes Allowed.

As per DARCA:

" 11.05 Rifles

(1) Rifles - General. The principles of Rule 12.21 apply to all types of rifle used in DCRA fullbore competitions. In addition, no rifle shall be fitted with a muzzle brake, flash eliminator, flash hider, tactical vent or similar device which may cause muzzle blast to stir up dust or to be deflected towards nearby competitors. If such a device forms a permanent part of the rifle, its vents shall be covered in a way that does not permit muzzle blast to leak past the covering or to blow it off. All rifles shall be fitted with a trigger guard."

http://www.dcra.ca/welcome.htm

Advertisement