Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best method to wire thermostats/actuators

• 12-02-2008 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Trying to figure out exactly what way the heating zones are controlled in our house, I had a look at how it's all wired up, and was a bit shocked to find:

A power supply cable, all cables from actuators (10 of them) and thermostats (8) go into a length of nice white plastic conduit. Behind the cover there is a jumble of 2-way connectors (the plastic ones with screw fittings) with the spaghetti of all the brown, blue and earth wires all over the place.

Is this the way it's always done, or can I buy a purpose-designed junction box with a single power supply connection (L, N, E), and for each thermostat/actuator pair a connection to thermostat (L, E, L return) and to actuator (L, N).

I also noticed that some of the chassis' of the thermostats seemed to be live (at least my phase tester lit up) when turned on, which is not what I expected. I'm puzzled.

Any info will be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭youtheman

Have alook at the typical wiring diagram for a dual solenoid system :

http://www.myson.ie/install/controlpack.pdf

If you have 10 actuators and thermostats then it will obviously be more complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Doodler

youtheman wrote: »
    Have alook at the typical wiring diagram for a dual solenoid system :

http://www.myson.ie/install/controlpack.pdf

If you have 10 actuators and thermostats then it will obviously be more complicated.

Thanks youtheman, however I think I understand how the wiring to the thermostats and zone actuators is supposed to go, I'm just wondering if I can purchase a neat junction box to use for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭youtheman

You should be able to get a plastic Junction Box from a good electrical wholesaler. In work we use Newlec Boxes, see typical example on page 206 of this brochure:

http://www.neweyandeyre.co.uk/pdf/197-258%20Wiring%20Accessories.pdf

With plastic you can drill entries for the cables. You can even use glands to keep the IP (Ingress Protection) rating.

Youtheman, I checked out those junction boxes. Thanks, but that's exactly what I don't want. Putting a jumble of spaghetti inside a neat looking box is more or less what my plumber (or electrician) has already done.

I am looking for a suggestion on what products are available (either purpose-designed or otherwise suitable) that will mean the power supply gets connected to one set of L,N,E terminals (as opposed to 10 in my case) and the wires going to and from the room thermostats and to the actuators are connected in a neat way that perhaps can be labelled as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

it shouldn't be too hard to get a suitably large enclosure and use din rail connectors. most din rail connectors have the facilty to be numbered (though I've no idea where you get the plastic number inserts) and that would make a nice neat job of it without too much expense (presuming you know what you're doing). I wouldn't trust a phase tester as far as I would throw it by the way, get an electrical tester/probes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

you need a 'terminal block 'with aux contacts for boiler /pump if necessary.leds on the terminal block are handy for troubleshooting zones etc.you can connect your actuators and stats to this they come in like 4 way 6 way etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eoghan.geraghty

Is this what you had in mind?
    I can order you one with my next order, how much of a rush are you in cos I won't be ordering again for a week or so, got stuff delivered today.
    Its 15 euro if you want one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Fair play to you Eoghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

that looks right as long as it'll do 8 zones

Is this what you had in mind?
    I can order you one with my next order, how much of a rush are you in cos I won't be ordering again for a week or so, got stuff delivered today.
    Its 15 euro if you want one.

Eoghan, thanks very much - looks like the kind of thing I had in mind, OK. Hard to know from the glossy whether it does my 8 zones, seems very good value if it does - Are you by any chance in Northside Dublin?

Sparking thanks for that info - I'll go up to O'reillys this morning and see can I get that stuff - then I'll find out if I know what I'm doing :).

Doing the proper electrical tests this morning, already found some interesting things...

• Advertisement
Advertisement