Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 8800GTS is dead (I think)

Options
  • 12-02-2008 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭

I've had this card for 5-6 months, and on Friday the computer just started to randomly turn off. I went away for the weekend, assuming it was only a slight problem. When I got back on Sunday evening, it happened again, only this time, when the computer turned on again there was no display on the monitor at all.

So I'm wondering, is this the card? The computer seems to boot up fine, but the fan on the card goes very fast, devices that are plugged in (MP3 player, mobile HD) etc all seem to function fine (though I can't see anything on the screen. Is this the graphics card, any opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭TheThreeDegrees

Can you see the post screen at all?

check the connections.

specs?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Usually if there is a severe Graphics card problem / no graphics card, the PC will refuse to boot, or give some form of error beep...

Anything out of the ordinary? Do you have a old pci card to test?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

sounds like the power cable is loose goin into the graphics card, make sure the connection is solid.

also, have you added anything to youre computer recently? could youre psu be struggling under the load?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

No, I haven't done anything to my computer since I assembled it when I first got it, that's why it's quite strange. There is no display on the screen at all, the monitor doesn't even get recognized.
    I don't think it's the PSU as it's a 600W Corsair and I've never had power problems before.

Any suggestions? I've no other PCI-E card to test on the computer but a friend said he would test my card on his PC at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

i used to have that with my last computer, the solution was basicaly fiddle with the power-cables..(all of them) and reseat the graphics card

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Aye, sure I'll give that a go before I take it out anyway. Cheers.

Advertisement