Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Argos in Waterford

• 12-02-2008 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

There's a new Argos planned for Waterford.....anybody know where its planned for or dates its ment to open?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Surely its not in the city? Would make no sense if it was..

If I could take a guess it will be where there putting that new shopping center up from the apple market.. if thats where its going..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

I have heard they are going into Bolands old show room on the cork rd

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Suppose to going in next to B&Q
    I think with the new B&Q and Argos on the Butlerstown roundabout on the ORR and DID, Homebase and Next on the other side, along with the plans for Waterford Crystal, First City Quarter, Waterford Retail Park and others, Waterford could become a day trippers shopping dreamland. We could finally reach out to the 500,000+ potential punters in the region, but we need to attract the Big Guns down here NOW, the likes of M&S, Brown Thomas, Starbucks etc.

Taken from here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

sm123_irl wrote: »
    This would actually be a great premises for them to move into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

sm123_irl wrote: »

I wouldn't think it was going there as they seem to be demolishing it atm. If you go into the car park at PC World you can see they only have the steel frame of the building still standing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

any place that has parking would be great, I bought weights there a couple of years ago and had to carry em to city square car park people got a great laugh off me struggling through john roberts square:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That is a good point. Not fun carrying anything heavy from Argos in waterford. Parking is always far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Apparently on the six cross roads in that new business complex, b&q going there as well.Love argos but hate the waiting time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I'd be very surprised if we were not left without an Argos in Waterford for six months.

Now, I've to be careful what I say here, as I remain quite friendly with one or two staff members there, but as an ex-Argos Waterford worker, what I can tell you is this:

Some of the staff in the current Argos branch have been there 10 years and more. Some of them are heavily unionized and dying to be made redundant. Some of them don't want to work and making them lift a finger to even get a few catalogues out on the shop floor causes a full blown argument. Have you ever walked in there and found the place messy, dirty and totally unorganized? Try getting some of the staff to actually do what they're paid to do and take care of it. That branch is in a shambles. Throughout all the branches in the UK/ROI, Waterford is known (to Head Office and other stores alike), to be "a problem store". No manager can last there.

Now I don't know if this is true or not, but it was suggested to me at the time (and I'm talking over a year ago now), that in order to avoid the hefty redundancies that it would cost the company, they must close the current branch, wait at least six months, then re-open at another location. I must stress that I don't know how true that was / is. It's just interesting that there's apparently going to be a new Argos location for Waterford.

Meatwad wrote: »
    Apparently on the six cross roads in that new business complex, b&q going there as well.Love argos but hate the waiting time.

Thats not the retail park where B&Q are going. They are going into the one on the Butlerstown roundabout, and if I was to guess, thats where Argos will end up also if they are indeed opening up a second store in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

benifa wrote: »
    Some of the staff in the current Argos branch have been there 10 years and more. Some of them are heavily unionized and dying to be made redundant. Some of them don't want to work and making them lift a finger to even get a few catalogues out on the shop floor causes a full blown argument. Have you ever walked in there and found the place messy, dirty and totally unorganized? Try getting some of the staff to actually do what they're paid to do and take care of it. That branch is in a shambles. Throughout all the branches in the UK/ROI, Waterford is known (to Head Office and other stores alike), to be "a problem store". No manager can last there.

I've never been a big fan of Argos (I hate the Soviet style filling of dockets and queuing twice business :D)

But I have to say that the Waterford store was the most frustrating one I've ever used - some of the staff really needed a good going over by the 'Hustle Fairy' - they just didn't move at all! Thankfully a (decent) Argos opened in Wexford and my role as fetcher-in-chief came to an end - I'd never go back to the Waterford branch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Have you ever walked in there and found the place messy, dirty and totally unorganized?

Ain't that the truth

Planning application in todays Examiner, From "Bulterstown Development company" for Retail unit No 2, the application is for change of use to a Catalogue store which will carry Heavy white goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭mad man

I'd be very surprised if we were not left without an Argos in Waterford for six months.

Now, I've to be careful what I say here, as I remain quite friendly with one or two staff members there, but as an ex-Argos Waterford worker, what I can tell you is this:

Now I don't know if this is true or not, but it was suggested to me at the time (and I'm talking over a year ago now), that in order to avoid the hefty redundancies that it would cost the company, they must close the current branch, wait at least six months, then re-open at another location. I must stress that I don't know how true that was / is. It's just interesting that there's apparently going to be a new Argos location for Waterford.

I heard back in December by a former senior menber of the chamber of commerce and probably one of the better leaders that Argos was closing in town along with Penneys.It didn't make sense at the time to me because I thought Argos were thriving.I eventually thought the guy was spreading a rumour to add fuel to the whole retail/planning controversy in Waterford.What you said makes sense now though and puts it into context..I've been in quite a few Argos in Ireland and in a lot of them the staff have atitude problems.However Argos in Waterford I think is the worst I've seen and filthy like you said as well as being the slowest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭rohe

mad man wrote: »
    I heard back in December by a former senior menber of the chamber of commerce and probably one of the better leaders that Argos was closing in town along with Penneys.It didn't make sense at the time to me because I thought Argos were thriving.I eventually thought the guy was spreading a rumour to add fuel to the whole retail/planning controversy in Waterford.What you said makes sense now though and puts it into context..I've been in quite a few Argos in Ireland and in a lot of them the staff have atitude problems.However Argos in Waterford I think is the worst I've seen and filthy like you said as well as being the slowest.

Would definetly have to agree about the attitude problems, in several yearsi could count on one hand the amount if times a member of staff has been pleasant in there oh and there sooooooooooo slow and usually has only one till open whilst the queue is out the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Thats not the retail park where B&Q are going. They are going into the one on the Butlerstown roundabout, and if I was to guess, thats where Argos will end up also if they are indeed opening up a second store in Waterford.

On the subject of B&Q, a cousin got a job there and had an induction day today. Apparently it is opening on 24 April.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Kahless wrote: »
    On the subject of B&Q, a cousin got a job there and had an induction day today. Apparently it is opening on 24 April.

There is a big sign by the road saying that for a few weeks now :)

I've not been on that road:)

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

mad man wrote: »
    I heard back in December by a former senior menber of the chamber of commerce and probably one of the better leaders that Argos was closing in town along with Penneys.
    :confused: So is Penny's closing in the city too? I thought they were extending the premises into the buildings beside it? If Penny's closes and Argos, then I'm sure many more will follow! The city will be a ghost town soon!

They are seeking permission to extend into Egans as well as doing up the existing premises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

racram wrote: »
    :confused: So is Penny's closing in the city too? I thought they were extending the premises into the buildings beside it? If Penny's closes and Argos, then I'm sure many more will follow! The city will be a ghost town soon!

It already is.Mainly thanks to one serial objector and a Trades Coucil which is supposed to encourage job growth - not object to new jobs. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Penny is closed already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Sully wrote: »
    Penny is closed already?

He means the town is already a ghost town.

It was announced last week that an Argos Extra will be built out in the Butlerstown Retail area and the current one in Waterford City Centre will be upgraded also.

Not sure if it was supposed to be an April Fools as it was on Tuesdays paper.

Advertisement