Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on the Fitzwilton hotel, Waterford city?.

• 12-02-2008 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of heading down in April for two nights and would appricate any opinions from locals on it and its surroundings please?.

I read all the tripadviser comments, which were great but like I said I'd appricate the opinion of locals.

Also I'll have my twelve year old daughter with me, will she be bored?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Alright,i dont live too far away from it,its just over the bridge in waterford city,only been in there twice for a drink so iv only seen the bar and the lobby,both very small from what i seen but nice and clean.dont know a child probably would get bored there and you would need to take care,its on a very busy road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

I haven't stayed there myself (being from Waterford an all!) but friends of mine came to stay there and said the rooms were lovely.

I've been in the lobby/bar area, and it's nicely done, very quiet though. It leads out onto a busy main thoroughfare, and it's about a 5 minute walk to the city centre, so your daughter should be fine for stuff to do with you to keep her entertained. Cinema, shopping, etc. Local museum and arts centre (if you are the educational fun type!) is straight down O connell st, opposite the hotel as you walk out the main door, about a 3 minute walk.

If you're driving, they have a parking area at the hotel for residents, and then you have more scope for getting out and about to do stuff with your daughter - there's a swimming pool on the Cork road (waterford crystal), a bowling alley on the Dunmore road, and of course then you can spin about whereever you want anyway. Tramore is only 7 miles away, although it'd still be very quiet that time of year. Theatre Royal is a bit of a walk away, down the far end of the quay from where the hotel is, again dunno if you or your daughter are into that type of thing but no harm to know about it in case you are!

Hope you enjoy if you decide to visit :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Ok stayed there last year and am a local , The hotel is very nice , nice rooms got a very good price on line ,good ,professional staff ,the restaurant is pretty good ,The hotel is non-smoking. The bar small and quiet. The Hotel is located next to a very busy road but it's a very very quiet area of the City (shops and entertainment wise) You will be a good 5-10 min walk for the Centre of the City. As for your Child the City has a few things to offer, the new Storm cinema is pretty good but pricely, there are quiet a few good shops in the city centre that are ideal for young teenager girls, If you are driving there are a few things to do within a half an hour drive of the city there is three or four horse riding school in and around the city, Tramore and spashworld or lazerblast could be worth checking out , or the bowling centre in Ardkeen (15-20min drive)
    Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

GREAT HOTEL - NEW SO RATES ARE GOOD -
    NOW DOING APPARTMENTS FOR WEKENDS - WEEKS - WITH GOOD PRICES -

best value in town for weekend stay -
    restaurant quiet and not great -
    nice bar -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

mairt we don,t want your kind coming to our city haha just kidding with ya bud well its only a stones throw from the rail and bus stations but a bit of a hike to get to the city centre if you don,t have a car with ya but nice looking place none the less!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

GREAT HOTEL - NEW SO RATES ARE GOOD -
    NOW DOING APPARTMENTS FOR WEKENDS - WEEKS - WITH GOOD PRICES -

best value in town for weekend stay -
    restaurant quiet and not great -
    nice bar -

Do you work for them or have any connections with the Hotel?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Never stayed or set foot inside the hotel but it looks fantastic from the outside. Plus, they got permission to do a pretty big extension to the place so business must be doing well!

TripAdvisor is normally fairly accurate review site, and if the majority of people like it - it must be good (your always gonna get some bad reviews, some might just be made up!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

mairt we don,t want your kind coming to our city haha just kidding with ya bud well its only a stones throw from the rail and bus stations but a bit of a hike to get to the city centre if you don,t have a car with ya but nice looking place none the less!

Bit of a hike to get to the city centre???????????????

It is at the other end of O Connell Street - I would expect to walk to Red Square in .......................less than ten minutes even with a 12 year old!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey, thanks for all the helpfull replies guys.

But a skin full of Guinness+credit card+& internet @ 3am this morning mean's that I've booked a week in the Crowne Plaza, Times Sq. Manhattan instead!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭somebaldyfela

Sure beats the deise :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Mairt wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for all the helpfull replies guys.

But a skin full of Guinness+credit card+& internet @ 3am this morning mean's that I've booked a week in the Crowne Plaza, Times Sq. Manhattan instead!.

Bit of a difference there all right.

However, given the choice, Times Square over Red Square anytime. My favourite city on earth!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

scout353 wrote: »
    Bit of a difference there all right.

However, given the choice, Times Square over Red Square anytime. My favourite city on earth!!

I took this photo of some graffitti @ Ground Zero (WTC) last time I was there...

<snip - LINK images please!>
    Did you write that ¬¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭henboy9

NY-NY great city espically around the soho area.hope you have a good time but if you do get a chance come visit the sunny sount east . but at the moment you just might have to bring the sun with you

Advertisement