Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

LHD for everyone and special speed limit for foreigners?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭

Err,

I don't think anyone has raised this issue I heard on the radio this week, sorry if somebody did it, could not find anything related here...

I heard some deputy has proposed to switch the Irish roads/cars to the right side, like in Europe and another one has proposed to force foreigners or people on holiday here to drive at 80Kmh on motorways down here (Well we ain't have so many motorways in Ireland, do we?).

Well I heard this thing a few minuntes only and a friend of mine told me the rest of the story today, not sure if everything is correct.

So my understanding is that the second DP said foreigners are causing a lot of accidents in Ireland, anyone has the officials stats from the relevant authority (RSA?), because I find this hard to believe.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Was a Proposal i dont see how it would work its discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Was a Proposal i dont see how it would work its discrimination.

Well sure it sounds stupid enough to me, but I would be curious to see official stats from the RSA.

It is like Irish people saying there are more and more crimes in Ireland because of the foreigners, and when you actually have the Garda annual report in your hands, the majority of crimes are drug/traffic/murder related and are comited by Irish people most of the time.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

This was done a few times last week alright.
    Anyhow, it wouldn't work and apparently he knew this when he said it. He was trying to emphasise the (alleged) dangers on our roads from foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mick.fr wrote: »
    Well sure it sounds stupid enough to me, but I would be curious to see official stats from the RSA.

It is like Irish people saying there are more and more crimes in Ireland because of the foreigners, and when you actually have the Garda annual report in your hands, the majority of crimes are drug/traffic/murder related and are comited by Irish people most of the time.

I'd imagine any statisitcs are based on the proportion of foreigners. There may be more crashes or crime per head for foreigners than Irish people. It'd be a worrying stat if foreigners were the biggest problems on pure numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was a similar thread done on this afaik last week.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    There was a similar thread done on this afaik last week.

Alright sorry missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Alright sorry missed it.

Wasn't giving out, just letting you know for info.

I have checked the RSA website, can't find any report on accidents...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mick.fr this was all over the media last week. Consenus - deranged w@nk

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I have checked the RSA website, can't find any report on accidents...
    Ah, but thats not how the DoE do things here. They don't bother with facts, figures and statistics, just have a brainstorming session and go with whatever sounds most pro-active.

Have you, for example, seen many accidents caused by not having the county of registration printed on the registration plate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

if we were to go LHD, then now is the time to start selling all new cars in LHD form. then where would all our RHD cars go, abroad more than likely or an expensive conversion. No one could do a driving test in a RHD car as it would be illegal, I presume. Signs, traffic lights, street kerbs, parking lines, warning signs on road surfaces and signposts would have to be re-arranged. Buses would be required as no one could be expected to queue in the middle of the street.

On the other hand, just look at Kabul or Rangoon.....:D millions of RHD in a LHD country.

Advertisement