Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

when Irish odometers change over to km

Options
  • 13-02-2008 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

What year was the change to KM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

2005 AFAIK, UK imports would still be in miles of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

04 im almost sure. Maybe it came in late 04 and was mandatory from the start of 05.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

My Mas Car Only Has Kph she was fecked going up the North :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Start of 2005 for certain :)

I bought a car in 2004 in
    mikes..

New again in 2005, and was km only

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Some cars have electronic speedometers and odometers and can switch from one to the other. Honda Civic for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭c1979

2005 it is thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There will be a few 2005 cars driving around with mph speedos which are not UK imports. They may well be 2004 model year cars which were registered in early 2005.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

20 January 2005 was the day we officially switched over to km/h, so any Irish car on an 05 plate or newer should be in km/h. Of course many cars in km/h can tell you how many miles per gallon etc you're doing, and the mileage on most German cars can be switched so the odometer can tell you how many miles rather than km are on the clock too.

It is not a legal reqirement for new Irish cars to be fitted with km/h speedos,because it is contrary to the free movement of goods in the EU or something like that, though any Irish spec car will have km/h as standard, but because it's not a legal requirement for km/h to be there, if you want a new car with an mph speedo, you can request it(though why anyone would want that is beyond me unless you do a lot of travelling across the border).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

My 01 has KM and KMPH, French import I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,805 ✭✭✭✭L1011

E92 wrote: »
    It is not a legal reqirement for new Irish cars to be fitted with km/h speedos,because it is contrary to the free movement of goods in the EU or something like that, though any Irish spec car will have km/h as standard, but because it's not a legal requirement for km/h to be there, if you want a new car with an mph speedo, you can request it(though why anyone would want that is beyond me unless you do a lot of travelling across the border).

VOSA in the UK won't let you do a change-of-residence import of a car with a km/h only speedometer, though. An acquaintance brought his Irish spec (higher spec but smaller engine) Panda Sporting back to the UK with him and got stung for the cost of a new instrument console as VOSA/the DVLA refused to let him import it without an mph speedometer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭j14

I was told by Mazda that "All BRAND new cars imported after 1st October 2004" were in KMH. I'm not sure if this only applied to the Mazda Range but I bought a brand new Mazda 3 in October 2004 and it has KMH no sign of MPH anywhere on the dash. Now I'm driving a 2007 Civic Type S and it has the digital dials that can be switched between the two.

Advertisement