Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in Balbriggan?

• 13-02-2008 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭

Lads and lassies,

Are there any B&B's or Guest Houses in Balbriggan? Before anyone says it, yes google is my friend but google seems to only want to give me the hotel. :p

Surely there's a few B&B's here, at least?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Unbelievably apparently there aren't any. We were having this discussion a few months back and none of us could think of any. I suppose B&Bs are sort of going out of style now with all the cheap hotels?
    Anyone who has a B&B in Balbriggan feel free to advertise here;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I remember at the time of the ardgillan concerts, there were none then. The nearest was Skerries. Not sure if any has opened up since then.

Anybody know what happened to the white house on Drogheda street? That used to be a b&b? Is it just a regular house now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭Benjy

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Anybody know what happened to the white house on Drogheda street? That used to be a b&b? Is it just a regular house now?

Bought by the Health Board for their clients living in the community afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,787 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The closest (searching within 5km radius) I could find on the interweb was Woodview Farmhouse in The Blackhills.

I can't believe that there are no B&Bs in Balbriggan itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

I got stopped by a french couple one evening and asked where the nearest B&B was. Couldnt think of any either. Unbelieveable there is none left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

wow sierra wrote: »
    Unbelievably apparently there aren't any.
    Why? I find it very believable.

There is nothing in Balbriggan that would mean you have to base yourself there aside from the small bit if industry of which the hotel caters for.

There must be at least 25 Hotels that are within a twenty minute drive of Balbriggan. The cost of a B&B is not much less than the cost of a mid range hotel.

I disagree. There are probably 12 to 15 B&Bs (at least) in Skerries that are busy year round. There's obviously a market for that level of accommodation in the area. And I'm sure that people visiting Balbriggan wouldn't want to be based 20 minute's drive away.

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I disagree. There are probably 12 to 15 B&Bs (at least) in Skerries that are busy year round. There's obviously a market for that level of accommodation in the area. And I'm sure that people visiting Balbriggan wouldn't want to be based 20 minute's drive away.

They don't need to based them self 20 minutes away, there's a 50 bed room hotel there where rooms can be booked from 80 euro which isn't far off a B&B rates, in some cases even better. My understanding is that the majortiy of people staying in Balbriggan are either part of a wedding party and stay in the hotel or are visiting due to business and stay in either the hotel or a hotel near the airport. At least one large industry in the town uses the hotel and if full would only consider another hotel. I've known of people visiting Balbriggan on a business related trips who requested to stay further away than 20 minutes.

I rebut the the comment that there are 12 to 15 B&Bs that are busy all year round. It's simply not true, busy at times but not all year round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Why? I find it very believable.

There is nothing in Balbriggan that would mean you have to base yourself there aside from the small bit if industry of which the hotel caters for.

There must be at least 25 Hotels that are within a twenty minute drive of Balbriggan. The cost of a B&B is not much less than the cost of a mid range hotel.

I find there is lots in Balbriggan, and its surrounds, which encourages people to stay with me - unfortunatly I cant charge them (being friends and family and that;);)). I have a small house so sometimes they have to stay in the Hotel which is very affordable and as I said in my post, I suppose B&Bs are dying out because of affordable Hotels. The fact that we have one in the town would be a reason why B&Bs are less necessary - not because there is no reason why people would want to stay in Balbriggan.!!!

I rebut the the comment that there are 12 to 15 B&Bs that are busy all year round. It's simply not true, busy at times but not all year round.
    In response to your rebuttal (this is a like a 5th year debate) - If I said "a steady year-round trade" as opposed to "busy"- would that be acceptable to you or is that "simply not true" either?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

The Hackett family used to run a B&B at the knock cross. I believe it's still operational. Ard Na Croi B&B it's called, googled it briefly but didn't find it.
    there's a 50 bed room hotel there where rooms can be booked from 80 euro which isn't far off a B&B rates

€80 Bluetonic!! They sure are some fancy B&B's you stay in. Any optional extra's?:D:D:D

Rush also has a good few B&B's. Someone who opened one recently described business to a friend of a friend as 'flat out' although maybe I should requote that as 'busy'

Octopus wrote: »
    €80 Bluetonic!! They sure are some fancy B&B's you stay in. Any optional extra's?:D:D:D
    The first two B&Bs I hit to get prices from Skerries come up at:
    Option one: 40 euro pppn in low season and 45 euro pppn high season
    Option one: 40 euro pppn in low season and 45-50 euro pppn high season

http://www.skerrieshomepage.f2s.com/acc.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Hacketts dont do it anymore.Not sure about the Clintons one in the Blackhills.But with a decent enough hotel in the town and a biggish one in Gormanston (City North) they are the options close at hand (never mind 29 mins.There is 1 still operating (and as far as I know does as decent enough airport trade) down at Blakes Cross.

It's a bit more than your average B&B these days, looks nice

www.airportviewhotel.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

I definitely think there is call for some B&Bs in the Balbriggan area... I'm surprised that nobody has opened any recently with all of the houses that have been built and the general growth of the area. The Hotel is not an alternative at 90euro a room (cheapest). I would expect a room at a B&B to be half that price. There is enough people passing through Balbriggan for weddings or nights out or whatever to justify having one. anyone fancy opening one?
    :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

gotta disagree with you too Bluetonic. From a personal point of view, I'd sometimes prefer to stay in a B&B over a hotel, especially if neither of the town's hotels had swimming pools. You normally get a room that is equally as nice as a hotel room and the fries are definitely better than hotel fryups :D

B&B's work out a LOT cheaper than hotels too, did you ever try and book a room in a hotel when there is a wedding or some other big occasion on? The room rates are dramatically increased.

100gSoma, how about we kickstart a B&B? ;)

sirpsycho wrote: »
    B&B's work out a LOT cheaper than hotels too, did you ever try and book a room in a hotel when there is a wedding or some other big occasion on? The room rates are dramatically increased.
    Did you ever try and book a room in a B&B in Skerries during the races or some other big occasion? The room rates are dramatically increased.
    100gSoma wrote: »
    The Hotel is not an alternative at 90euro a room (cheapest). I would expect a room at a B&B to be half that price.

I would be surprised if there were many B&Bs about these days who offer en suite facilities at 22.50 euro per person in North County Dublin.

If there was a market for a B&B in the area believe you me it would be already in existence. Recently a custom built B&B with approx 10 en suite rooms etc.., was built beside the baptist church just past the golf club on the R132. It remained unsold for a year. Do you not think that if there was money to be made then the business would have been snapped up? The premises was available to run as a lease at the time. It ended up being sold and changed to a private house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

In true boards sense, how come nobody has recommended YORE MA'S as a place of respite.....

Ah well, at least I tried... *** door slams behind Chopperdog*** ...sniff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

In true boards sense, how come nobody has recommended YORE MA'S as a place of respite.....

Ah well, at least I tried... *** door slams behind Chopperdog*** ...sniff...

Hehe, now that' I'd love to see. We could begin the take-over of The Brig with a DCN-Boards.ie B&B...with "Yore Ma" being the logical name, of course.

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Hehe, now that' I'd love to see. We could begin the take-over of The Brig with a DCN-Boards.ie B&B...with "Yore Ma" being the logical name, of course.
    The lads in BG&RH may not be to happy about using the name of their bar for a B&B. Maybe you could discuss a franchise agreement with them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Recently a custom built B&B with approx 10 en suite rooms etc.., was built beside the baptist church just past the golf club on the R132. It remained unsold for a year. Do you not think that if there was money to be made then the business would have been snapped up? The premises was available to run as a lease at the time. It ended up being sold and changed to a private house.

Is that not a nursing home now or something?
    Havana house, I think?

Advertisement