Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

demand for electricians

• 13-02-2008 12:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hi again,

No washing machine problems this time :)

Ok, I am thinking to get into electrical work, as in train to be an electrician as I am have become very very interested in it, and my impression of it is that there is a shortage of electricians around the country but due to construction slowing down big time I'm not so sure this will still apply.

Does anyone have any insights or advice about getting into this kinda work?

Thanks a mil. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'm thinking of starting a career advice type thread actually.

I'll have a chat with stoner, and we'll see what we can come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Actually, more apprentice electricians go through the system every year, more so than any other trade. It's increased every year for the past 6/7 years. Electricians will never be that much, if at all, in demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Electricians will never be that much, if at all, in demand.

Welcome to the platen earth.... On this part of the planet there seems to be a shortage of electricians.

In Ireland there has been demand in the construction sector beyond our wildest dreams! The demand for electricians has been massive! My phone rings sevral times a day with people looking for electrical work to be done and I have not been contracting in over a year!

Are you an electrician that can not find work?
    I have not met an electrician in Ireland that could not find work as far back as I can remember.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but in 1991 I started serving my time. Since then I have never been out of work until I returned to study full time by choice in sept 2006

I have also noticed a large amout of foreign electricians in Ireland trying to meet the demand.

If you are a qualified electrician there are lots of courses you can do to build on your expertiese (instrumentation, PLC programing etc.). There are jobs in the maintenance sector as well as construction. Even when a building is wired it is impossible to future proof it 100%.

I think that if you are a half reasonable electrician you will always be able to find work.

I will be interested to see if any electricians post here telling me that I am wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

"I think that if you are a half reasonable electrician you will always be able to find work."

That's it in a nutshell, the good guys will always get work, the cowboys will fall by the wayside.

And, there have been a lot of cowboys on the wagon train in recent years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

That's for sure.

On the flipside, standards have improved immensely, since say 1991, when fishdog started (I'd be in the same ballpark myself).

Generally standards are good, in my experience, but like the little girl, when they're bad, they're horrid.

Anyway, any thoughts on a career sticky, to answer questions like the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

TBH in Ireland we register a huge amount of electricians, very similar to the amount in England , although they are not registering enough due the the practice of sub contracting stopping the need for big contractors to hire apprentices, so that says something I guess, also there are a lot of guys looking for work at the moment in the industrial, domestical, commercial market.
    It might be the the case that Irish sparks will be back over in the UK again as unless they start taking on apprentices again their skilled workforce will age.

standards have improved immensely, since say 1991, when fishdog started

...and clearly the implication here from RoundyMooney is that this is not just a coincidence:D:D . I have to admit one or two others did help a bit!

Thanks!
    TBH in Ireland we register a huge amount of electricians
    Do you mean we qualify/train too many electricians??
    although they are not registering enough due the the practice of sub contracting stopping the need for big contractors to hire apprentices
    Or not enough??
    there are a lot of guys looking for work at the moment in the industrial, domestical, commercial market.
    Or too many??

Sorry, I dont follow what you are trying to say Stoner

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

There are currently nearly 2000 electrical appprentice registered with Fas in various stages of training , those numbers are down on this time last year but not by much , I would say there are plenty of registered apprentices in the system .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Fishdog,

I'm saying that getting a job as a sparks now is a little harder then last year, i.e. there are more sparks out there.

The UK guys are not bringing enough apprentices through the system, they dont want the hastle factor (it's huge here too, it's next to impossible to deal with an apprentice with their whole special place in employment law) So companies want a flexible dynamic workforce that they can up and down as they please, so they hire subbies as they finish up after a contract and can have the labour cost fixed. They subbies go from job to job and cant keep apprentices in work // contineous work so they are not taking them on.
    That as I understand it is the case in the UK, so it might be a good market again for Irish sparks

I see what you mean. Thanks Stoner.

I still think that if you are a good sparks and not afraid of hard work you will always have work and be able to make a few bob.

• Advertisement
Advertisement