Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing ceiling water marks

Options
  • 13-02-2008 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

hi does anyone know the best way to remove some water marks from a ceiling, im told they re-appear if i just paint over them, any ides

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I heard that if you paint oil paint over it and then immulsion that it works?

Dunno I never had to do it myself.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 mollflickers

yes if you paint an oil paint eg gloss paint over the mark and then emulsion it covers it

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Had same problem..
    read same comments about stains reappearing, but couldn't find any product in shops that I thought would do the job.

So I just started painting over the old paint... and low and behold the paint in the larger area where the water marks were came off the ceiling. In fact the entire ceiling paint came off at the end once it was wet (with a bit of scraping here and there)

So I might have been (un)lucky, but while it took a few more coats in total, ceiling is just great now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

There's a product called 'Stain Block ' they sell up in Woodies. I haven't used it myself but I'm sure it does the job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

Reyman wrote: »
    There's a product called 'Stain Block ' they sell up in Woodies. I haven't used it myself but I'm sure it does the job

Had the same problem and 'Stain Block' did exactly what it said on the tin. Stain never reappeared (the source of the leak was eliminated first).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 the pants man

cool stain block it is then thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭jj1310

Ditto for stain block, used it last week and no sign of stain since. When you spray it on d,ont hold it too close and spray for too long as it gathers and drips. Just quick sprays across affected areas. Repeat if necessary. Works a treat

Advertisement