Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Government looking to ban illigal downloaders.

Options
  • 13-02-2008 2:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

First off, I know this does not perfectly fit into this forum, but I think it will be of some interest to people here. If the mods do not want it here , then I do appologise.

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/602043/illegal-downloaders-to-be-banned-from-internet.html

Basically the British government is looking to impose a law where all ISP's will have to track their traffic. If they (the ISP) find anyone to be downloading movies or music illegally then they will send an email to the culprets. If it happens a second time, then there will be a suspencion of your server , on a third stike your line will be disconnected. If an ISP does not do this then they will be heavily fined.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

First off, I know this does not perfectly fit into this forum, but I think it will be of some interest to people here. If the mods do not want it here , then I do appologise.

http://www.custompc.co.uk/news/602043/illegal-downloaders-to-be-banned-from-internet.html

Basically the British government is looking to impose a law where all ISP's will have to track their traffic. If they (the ISP) find anyone to be downloading movies or music illegally then they will send an email to the culprets. If it happens a second time, then there will be a suspencion of your server , on a third stike your line will be disconnected. If an ISP does not do this then they will be heavily fined.

Will never work, Couldn,t work :)
    Good laugh though!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Another example how they have lost the Plot. Along with ASBOs (don't work), Security Cameras (most surveyed country in World, does not stop crime, though if pics GOOD can help solve it), Proposed pointless ID card, Hospital IT system, etc ..

Indeed it can't be done. If it could it would be a breach of human rights/privacy if done without a Court order or reasonable cause. No different to tapping phone or bugging (oh wait they doing that already) or opening Royal mail.

It should need a specific court order per person. Is some Medja company funding Mr. Brown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

I'm glad to hear you say that Watty. Me, I think they will of course do it. They'll keep trying until the 'net is theirs, even if they do mess it up a la ASBOs, ID cards etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

watty wrote: »
    Security Cameras (most surveyed country in World, does not stop crime,

Makes for great TV though, nothing like watching drunks kick the crap out of each other at 2 in the morning.

I'd agree that it couldn't work too. How exactly are an ISP supposed to know whether you paid for what you're downloading or not? Are the to request billing details from the website you're downloading from? Or what about P2P, there is legal as well as illegal content on P2P networks, how do they distinguish between them, especially if you encrypt.

Hair brained idea, designed to make headlines and scare people into stopping their torrents. Probably the BPI behind it somewhere.

By the same token, should manufacturers of CD and DVD writers monitor their usage to make sure we don't copy CDs/DVDs? Where does it end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

Previous penalty for getting caught was a day in court and a hefty fine (albeit a rare occurance), but they've now reduced the penalty to a strongly worded email?

Totally takes the scare tactics out of it in my opinion? Could only back fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Rather than the ISP monitoring what you're downloading, maybe this proposed law allows copyright organisations / studios etc to contact the ISP if they trace your IP? And that's how they "monitor" you? Or does the law specifically require that the ISP does all the monitoring?

I can imagine a situation where you get those MediaDefender type companies making a living by grabbing IP addresses from illegal torrents and handing them over to the ISPs / fuzz, who then hand out the warnings / bannings. :confused:

Advertisement