Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help on how to study for...

Options
  • 13-02-2008 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭

Biology and History.

These are my two worst subjects as I barely scrape C2s, ironically these are my favourite subjects. In class tests, I can do fine and get Bs, however for Christmas/Summer exams, I crash and burn.

So, let me tell you what I do.

Biology, I read through my notes in my notebook several times to get an understanding. Then I go to my textbook and as I read this, I'm able to predict the following information. I also take scraps of paper, write down titles such as "Photosynthesis" and use key words, e.g "chlorophyll" and then do the why/where/how/when. I also have a ReviseWise book whose pages are dog-eared from reading.

History: Bascially, readreadreadread notes over and over again until they go in. Tomorrow (Wednesday), I'm practising writing in 42minutes max, but I'd like some tips on what to do.

So, my questions if you can't be arsed to read are:

Has anyone got any tips on studying for Biology and History?
    Any tips for writing history essays?
    Any tips for learning biology experiments?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭eoins2345

Well im only in fifth year but i can help you with history!Well each essay is marked out of 100.The first 60 go for your paragraphs.Each one is marked out of 12.Its impossible to get 12 so if you write a half page for each paragraph with a decent amount of facts each youl get 7 -8 iout of 12 in each paragraoh.Next the examiner will read it again and give your essay a mark out of 40 as a sort overall evaluation.To get 30 plus you will need to address the question in the intro and conclusion and where possible in your body paragraphs.This includes giving your opinion on it.each essay should be about 4 pages a4 of average hand writin.Just look over the case studies and the chapters around them more then the rest of your notes

In the actual exam spend 40 mins on each essay and the documents q and then 10 mins at the end to read over it and add in or take out info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Gizz

Biology and History.

These are my two worst subjects as I barely scrape C2s, ironically these are my favourite subjects. In class tests, I can do fine and get Bs, however for Christmas/Summer exams, I crash and burn.

So, let me tell you what I do.

Biology, I read through my notes in my notebook several times to get an understanding. Then I go to my textbook and as I read this, I'm able to predict the following information. I also take scraps of paper, write down titles such as "Photosynthesis" and use key words, e.g "chlorophyll" and then do the why/where/how/when. I also have a ReviseWise book whose pages are dog-eared from reading.

History: Bascially, readreadreadread notes over and over again until they go in. Tomorrow (Wednesday), I'm practising writing in 42minutes max, but I'd like some tips on what to do.

So, my questions if you can't be arsed to read are:

Any tips for writing history essays?
    Any tips for learning biology experiments?

Thanks.
    Hey

You should check out www.revisewise.ie it has biology mcq's for quick revision as well as top tips! I think the mcq's make revision alot easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

When i study bilogy i read each chapter carefully and underline the important stuff.

Then i use the edco papers because they have a list of when each chapter came up and what questions they came up in and then i just do those questions. .....it works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Sparkles...

Biology and History.

For biology at least, trawling through exam papers is the best thing to do methinks.
    The same questions come up year after year like, if you throw enough sh!t at a wall some of it has to stick!!:p..
    Its boring, but I find its a fairly sound way of revising all aspects of the course..;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

Pictures!! :D

For biology at least, get coloured paper, coloured markers, draw your diagrams and stick 'em evrywhere!!!

And about experiments, when your revising, imagine yourself doing the experiment, and really ask yourself why your doing each step!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

VITAL BIOLOGY TIP:
    Focus MOST of your study time on UNIT 1 (Biology The Study Of Life), Unit 2 (The Cell) and ALL the experiments.
    This is roughly half the course (because Unit 3 is very long) BUT it accounts for 80% of the paper.

For Section C you are practically guaranteed:
    1 Question on ecology / habitat study.
    1 Question on Genetics (and possibly Cell Reproduction / Continuity)
    1 Question on either Photosynthesis or Respiration.

BAM! 3 of your 4 long questions answered. Ad if you know all the experiments, you have full marks in Section B.

The short questions have to have material from Unit 1 (probably questions on food) and Unit 2 (cells).

By carefully studying past exam papers, you can make reasonable predictions as to what areas from Unit 3 will comprise the remaining 20%. And hopefully, you'll know enough to answer your fourth long question and the remaining short questions.

Obviously you should do as much from Unit 3 as possible! But if you find yourself caught for time, or if you need to devote a lot of time to other subjects, make sure you know every experiment AND that you know all about ecology, cells and genetics. 80% of your paper, DONE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭boobookitty

^ ooh, good tip. :eek:

Thanks for that and everyone else who posted.

Advertisement