Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robbie Keane

• 13-02-2008 6:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭

right, having read through some stuff about it i was wondering what the wider opinion of Robbie Keane is? bit like george best or ryan giggs? i.e. great players but wasted cuz of poor teammates internationally? or is he just an average player who is on a long hot streak for his club

soory its so extreme but i just want clear opinions here

Which of these is Robbie Keane to you? 40 votes

Great player and shame we havent more like him
    0%
    Poor player who is made look good at club level
    100%
    WhiteWashManPHBPepe LeFritsRaskolnikovV9Corben DallaswoodygquarrymanweemcdFozzySuprSiJackaboSnake PliskenJazzyAndrew 83chopperbyrnewhiskeymankincsemandrewie~Rebel~ 40 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Used to think he was a bit of a gimp but had 2 great seasons for spurs and looks like continuing.
    The thing is Jol + Ramos take no ****e from him and tell him where he's playing whereas with Ireland he's given more leeway.
    So a big kick up the arse from Trappatoni should hopefully sort him out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Didn't we just do this the other week? Oh hold on, yes we did

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055226763&highlight=robbie+keane

Well I suppose I'll just have to say again how overrated he is so second option for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

you forgot the 'great player who is made look crap at international level' option

oh, i believe he is currently in top 20 actim premier players at the moment as well.

Or the good players he plays with at club level are making him look good. He doesn't have the same quality of players to pick up the slack at international level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ahh xavi, very true, we did do this last week, i totally forgot, apologies, but then again, you didnt have to post again did you? just cant keep your nose out though i suppose......

anyway as the poll was done last week feel free to delete mods

kryogen wrote: »
    ahh xavi, very true, we did do this last week, i totally forgot, apologies, but then again, you didnt have to post again did you? just cant keep your nose out though i suppose......

anyway as the poll was done last week feel free to delete mods

It's topic very close to my heart that splits the nation so I felt the need. Plus work is quite boring. Maybe a merge would suffice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

He's a good player but he needs good support. Also when he plays for Ireland he stops being an out and out striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Keane is a very good player with a very good goal scoring record both at International and Club level.

Thing is he has struggled the last 3 years at international level to score in the big qualifiers which has damaged his confidence/reputation.

He's still only 27 so plenty of life left in the legs.
    The one thing i do notice is that when he has a tall target man playing up front with him who holds it up gets the flick ons he plays his best football and gets lots of goals.

Quinn and Keane letal for Ireland in the qualifiers/world cup 2002 run.
    Berbatov and Keane letal for spurs last 2 seasons.

I can understand the frustration people have with him in an ireland shirt as he does seem to run about like a headless chicken but with the service and the right kick up the hole to tell him stay up front he will get us goals.

Robbie's record for Ireland is 34 goals in 78 games which is very impressive. He is all time leading goal scorer and holds the record for number of goals at a world cup 3 in 4 games. So to say he's poor is way over the top.

On a side note wasnt Trappattoni the Inter Milan manager when Keane signed for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Xavi6 wrote: »
    It's topic very close to my heart that splits the nation so I felt the need. Plus work is quite boring. Maybe a merge would suffice

how is it close to your heart, did Robbie Keane screw over one of your family through his 'over-ratedness' at some point?

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    how is it close to your heart, did Robbie Keane screw over one of your family through his 'over-ratedness' at some point?

Sarcasm. I apologise if it didn't work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,426 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sarcasm. I apologise if it didn't work

An appology? That doesn't right the wrong, does it? No point in appologies....

cross boards reference ftw!

Tauren wrote: »
    An appology? That doesn't right the wrong, does it? No point in appologies....

cross boards reference ftw!

:D I like. Apologies are only words I suppose!

Or the good players he plays with at club level are making him look good. He doesn't have the same quality of players to pick up the slack at international level.

its a team game. unless robbie keane plays all his international games on his own.

although, it would explain a lot about irelands performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭pd101

He's niether. He's somewhere in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

he was permanently surrounded by players who couldnt complement his abilities at club level until he moved to Spurs.he no has a good team around him and making his job easier.and bringing out his true talent

unfortunately he does'nt have the same quality surrounding him on the international scene.and it drags him down into international mediocrity which is a place he does'nt belong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's a striker, an incredibly intelligent striker. He feeds off clever passing and movement. He kinda reminds me of a Sheringham. We have little to none of that in the Irish team. A good manager will make him the focus of our entire team, and he will be our best player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i would echo PHB's comments so no point in writing them again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

woodyg wrote: »
    On a side note wasnt Trappattoni the Inter Milan manager when Keane signed for them?

No, it was Lippi.

Robbie Keane is a fanatastic player and entering his prime years as a player. Under proper management now i expect him to be our top scorer in World Cup qualifying with at least a handful of goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Nunu wrote: »
    Robbie Keane is a fanatastic player and entering his prime years as a player. Under proper management now i expect him to be our top scorer in World Cup qualifying with at least a handful of goals.

By having Trappa on the management Robbie will miracalously recover from his general 4/5 year drought and turn into Cristiano Ronaldo? If anything one of my biggest hopes of Trappa is that he will drop Robbie if he doesnt prove his worth.

Although, then again, if Trappa indicates this will be his policy, maybe it will give Robbie the kick up the arse he needs. I have to be fair, in his last 7 Ireland matches he has played well against Brazil, Denmark, Germany and Wales. But it still leaves 3 poor performances against Cyprus, Czechs and Slovakia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

20 goals now for the season, 2 sy off last seasons total.

Cant be that bad :rolleyes:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

KdjaCL wrote: »
    20 goals now for the season, 2 sy off last seasons total.

Cant be that bad :rolleyes:

kdjac
    Ireland's all-time top goal scorer by a garden mile and still only 27.

Is currently keeping a £17 million player on the bench and has forced one of the brightest English talents to pack his bag.

What a rubbish player, let's put Stephen Hunt up front instead. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Keano is the man works great with Berbs, its great his hit the 20 goals, I mean if you watch Spurs games week in week out he plays very deep to support the midfield, if not he'd be getting more goals, He'll be the Full Spurs Captain once King retires (very dodgy knee word is he'll retire sooner then later)

Spurs fans player of the year, i honestly cant argue with fans of a club picking their player of the year.

Tbh player of the year awards should be made up off the leagues clubs fans of the year.

Keane is irelands best chance of a goal and as been for years.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The only thing that Spurs have that Ireland don't is a world class striking partner for Keane. Its a big deal, but its not like there is a stark contrast in quality in both teams.

I would say Ireland is more creative than Jenas, and Andy Reid is a more intelligent player than Huddlestone. Duff and Lennon are similar, and I love Malbranque, but McGeady has more brilliance.

The only thing that Spurs have that Ireland don't is a world class striking partner for Keane. Its a big deal, but its not like there is a stark contrast in quality in both teams.

LOL theres ****ing miles between them, they pass it we dont. Keane plays ball to feet we dont.
    I would say Ireland is more creative than Jenas, and Andy Reid is a more intelligent player than Huddlestone. Duff and Lennon are similar, and I love Malbranque, but McGeady has more brilliance.

Obviously van Boxtel didnt have your weed :eek:

Can i have what your smoking

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

After his interview on the LateLate, which followed Ireland limping out of possible qualification - I think he's a bollix. "Some of the lads don't like coming over to play for Ireland anymore" Boo fooking hoo.

No time for him.

Plays with a deadly touch for spurs and with clown shoes on for Ireland. Some of his finishes are laughable for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, at least the bias towards Ireland is back :)

Let's look at the front 6 of each team as you put out

Berbatov
    Keane
    -Malbranque-Jenas--Huddlestone--Lennon
    vs.
    Doyle
    Keane
    -Duff
    Reid
    Ireland
    McGeady

Ok, first off, how you can possibly say McGeady has more brilliance than Malbranque is utterly beyond me.
    Duff is nowhere near the levels that Lennon is at, he used to be, but not anymore.
    Maybe Ireland is more creative than Jenas, but he's slower, nowhere near as good a passer, offers probably less of a goal threat, and is less intelligent, oh and worse defensively. That said Ireland will improve hopefully.

But you really topped it off with the idea that Reid is near Huddlestone. Aside from the fact that Zokora is in front of Huddlestone, and is much better than Huddlestone and Reid, Reid has just moved up to the premiership to Sunderland, and has never shown himself to be a hugely better player than Huddlestone, and Huddlestone is only what, 22?

Keane plays in a much much better team with Spurs, a huge difference in quality up front. The idea that Ireland could even come close to beating the Arsenals reserves 5-1 is absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

"Some of the lads don't like coming over to play for Ireland anymore" Boo fooking hoo.
    Can you blame him? I'd hate to be trying my best for my country only to have some gobshíte barstoolers berate everything I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Duff - Malbranque
    McGeady - Lennon
    A.Reid - Huddlestone
    S.Reid - Jenas

That'd be the most similar comparisons. Spurs are better but we're not a million miles off their level, let's put it that way.

Judging by the Arsenal game, S.Reid's game has changed completely from the player I knew. He's all about movement and simple passes now. He's the playmaker in the Blackburn midfield. I never would have thought of him as that type of player in a million years. It shows what a player can learn from watching from the sidelines for so long. And Spurs wanted Reid before his injury (even Man Utd were linked). Fingers crossed all our players stay fit for the rest of the season so we can see them play together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

PHB wrote: »
    He's a striker, an incredibly intelligent striker.

I've always thought of him as a player with all of the potential and ability, but lacking the football intelligence to fulfil the potential. Anytime I've watched him, live or in the pub, when he gets the ball, when the crowd shouts 'Shoot' he passes, when the crowd shouts 'Pass' he shoots (anyone else notice this?) It's like he regularly makes the wrong decisions, hence he's incredibly frustrating. That's why I think he doesn't have the intelligence and maybe why Alex Ferguson made that famous comment about him. He needs someone to take him aside and teach him how to make decisions during the match. IMO there have been a number of Ireland games in the last few years where he should have been substituted instead of whichever second striker was playing better, but the captains armband may have saved him. He's always complaining on the pitch aswell - very frustrating. Hate the celebrations. Terrible captain material. But hopefully a new manager will get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Can you blame him? I'd hate to be trying my best for my country only to have some gobshíte barstoolers berate everything I did.

Yes, especially when some of them seem to be showing a distinct lacking in the "trying my best for my country" department and I'm not saying that from a barstool, but from every home match and 3 aways.

After his interview on the LateLate, which followed Ireland limping out of possible qualification - I think he's a bollix. "Some of the lads don't like coming over to play for Ireland anymore" Boo fooking hoo.

No time for him.

Plays with a deadly touch for spurs and with clown shoes on for Ireland. Some of his finishes are laughable for Ireland.

but, its the truth.

roy keane said the same.

ao many players prefer to play for their club, and have no pride in the shirt any more. personally, id say he was bang on the money.
    whatever people may think about his decision making ability on the pitch, no one can ever say that he doesnt give 100% in every single game he plays.

Advertisement