Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light The Spire Green for Paddys Day

Options
  • 13-02-2008 9:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭

Friend in the know says it would cost them only 2k.
    Given that they can throw 500k at fireworks and even NYC can light the Empire State Building green, then shouldn't they make a little effort ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Pal wrote: »
    Friend in the know says it would cost them only 2k.
    Given that they can throw 500k at fireworks and even NYC can light the Empire State Building green, then shouldn't they make a little effort ?

Great idea!
    Wonder if the lights at the top could have been changed to green too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

thats what I mean.
    they can change the tubes inside the Spire to green ones for very little money.
    takes very little time to hoist down the white ones and up the green ones.
    (and they can use them next year too)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

If the lit it at all, it'd be a big improvement!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

oh right... thought you meant using those massive search lights to floodlight the whole thing up green.
    Would really be a nice touch. They should do more 'ambience' things like that. It's something Dublin really lacks IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

It cost over 2K€ per day to change the light on the top of the blood thing, I think changing the inner tube will cost a hell of a lot more.
    Pal wrote: »
    thats what I mean.
    they can change the tubes inside the Spire to green ones for very little money.
    takes very little time to hoist down the white ones and up the green ones.
    (and they can use them next year too)

• Advertisement

EUR 600 for a green tube set
    EUR 500 for a bracket
    EUR 500 to hoist down white tubes
    and pull up green ones (or double time 1,000 if done at night)

Thats what my friend in the know says

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The lights they use aren't very strong because of fears O'Connell St might look like airport runway. Green lights that couldn't really be seen wouldn't be worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

jdivision wrote: »
    The lights they use aren't very strong because of fears O'Connell St might look like airport runway.

Your joking right!? A small line of lights a mere 120 metres in the air, in the middle of a city would hardly look like an airport.

. That's the reason they give for not having the full lights that they originally promised. Don't forget a plane recently though Santry Cross - a 16-storey tower in Ballymun was the airport!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

The hotel in Ballymun has four red lights - one on each corner and is close to the airport.

From an angle I can see why this could look like a runway.

O'Connel St - I don't think the same mistake could happen.

• Advertisement

I agree it sounds unlikely but that's the way it was explained to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Sounds like a good idea. Bounce a some green light upwards from the surrounding buildings would look good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

jdivision wrote: »
    . That's the reason they give for not having the full lights that they originally promised. Don't forget a plane recently though Santry Cross - a 16-storey tower in Ballymun was the airport!!

Ah... I see... I just thought the final result was far less impressive than it was expected to be. I always expected the Spire would some how be luminous or would have spotlights shining on it and reflecting off it as a result.

Instead it has two fecking fairy-lights at the top and middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

just put green gel on the white lights... its what they do for tv to make lights different color a meter of the stuff is a 10er.. cover all the lights in it and it should give off a green glow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

It will cost too much and take months of planning ffs. Anything they try to do is a farce, take anything for example :rolleyes:.

it will take them a couple of hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Diy way , don't know if they'd stick to the spire though:
    http://www.dotlight.de/shop/product_info.php/cPath/244/products_id/757

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

I think that's a great idea and should have been included.

You could email the festival organisers with your suggestion and see what sort of response you get.

http://www.stpatricksday.ie/cgi-bin/feedbackControl.cgi?Site__site_id=4&Page__page_id=384

That link mightn't work but it's in the feedback section at www.stpatricksday.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Furkin_Bastage

*Happy St Paddy's Day*

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S1470431.shtml?cat=10054

The Tourism Ireland agency wangled a deal for major world landmarks _ including the Sydney Opera House, London Eye, Toronto’s CN Tower and New York’s Empire State Building _ to be bathed in green floodlights as part of a marketing push on four continents.

WHAT ABOUT THE SPIRE ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I could only imagine how much they'd spend doing that.
    My brother in the know informed me that the company he worked for at the time charged the government €250,000 to package the spire (in segments) before it was moved to O'Connell Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

All of these "light xyz up with with green lights" ideas are awful. I wish Leprachaun day would go away.

Does anyone remember when they tried to make the Liffey green? And all of the other stupid Oirish things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

The-Rigger wrote: »
    I could only imagine how much they'd spend doing that.
    My brother in the know informed me that the company he worked for at the time charged the government €250,000 to package the spire (in segments) before it was moved to O'Connell Street.

Charged the state more like. Fianna Fail didn't pay for the spire out of their own pockets!

Advertisement