Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in a rental hellhole

Options
  • 13-02-2008 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Living in a flat/bedsit.It's a house split into 5 flats though only 4 are occupied at the moment.Yes, it's small but good location, it's modern and rent is reasonable.

Landlord seems fine and is registered by the PRTB.
    I signed my lease and it states the flat is only for one person to live in. Of course visitors or your bf/gf are allowed but rent is set lower as the landlord does not want couples and so there is less wear and tear. Also, each tenant has a "security" key for the front door which apparantly can't be copied by a locksmith. This way the landlord knows that each tenant has just one key.

The flat below me is making my life a misery. It's rented to one middle-aged Polish girl who from day one moved her Irish boyfriend in. Since they only have one key me and the other tenants are constantly getting buzzed on the intercom to open the door NOW!
    They seem to work shift, maybe 4pm-12pm so I'm awake often 3am or 4am listening to their TV blaring and them making noise.

I'm fairly quiet but I don't stand for that so I often lash out and roar through the floor (I'm above them) or bang heavy gear off the floor. Sometimes they stop, sometimes they don't.
    Of course, I get sworn back at in a variety of languages but I don't know what else to do.
    I ain't walking downstairs and politly knocking at the door, it's long past that stage.

I've rang the landlord and they said they cannot move them out or issue a warning as she cannot prove there are two people in the flat and are breaking their lease. At the same time, I was told I can't quit my lease or I'll lose my deposit.
    I don't think the landlord is being vindictive, they just want to sit back and collect rent and avoid any decision making. The lazy option!

Any advice? I'd prefer not to leave as I like the location or dealing with the hassle of flat finding. I CANNOT afford to lose my deposit if I do leave. Oh, I'm here 18 months. I signed a 12 month lease and we renewed it for another 12 months at the same rent. So I'm good tenant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Firstly, I would always attempt to reason with the people themselves. Are things too far gone here for that?

Secondly, I would expect the landlord to fix this. If they are not doing so, I would remind them of this. If you can get other tenants from the other bedsits to complain as well, your landlord is going to find it hard to ignore you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭LouOB

Earplugs

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I don't think the landlord is being vindictive, they just want to sit back and collect rent and avoid any decision making. The lazy option!
    Yeah, sounds like it. The experiences of the other tenants is sufficient proof of a second person.

In any case, the tenant is clearly causing a nuisance, which would also break the terms of her lease so the issue of a second person is irrelevant. Continue complaining to the landlord. Every time it happens, ring the landlord and make a complaint. It will feel like you're pestering him, but it'll get the problem sorted in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭martian1980

how about simply not buzzing them in when they ring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

The next time they buzz the intercom just ignore it, dont even pick it up to tell them feic off. Tell people that you have coming over to ring you on your phone to let them in. That way the neighbours will soon get the idea that buzzing you is a waste of time.
    As for the rest of it, i'd get on to Threshold the tennants rights agency and tell them the story and get them to speak to your landlady on your behalf. A boot from an official body can motivate the laziest of landlords in to doing something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

What do you mean "we" renewed it? Slip of the tongue?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

dellas1979 wrote: »

two parties to every contract. Landlord and tenant in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Probably meant herself and landlord.

Seems strange the person without key wouldn't just buzz the partner already inside their flat. Why buzz neighbours? You can only get them into the building, not the flat.

You can write a letter stating what goes on and that there are more than one person living there. Ask the other neighbours to sign it. The landlord can't ignore that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Tell him/her you are withholding half your rent every month until s/he addresses the issue. That way you can move out after 2 months of and not lose your deposit if they dont sort the issue.

kmick wrote: »
    Tell him/her you are withholding half your rent every month until s/he addresses the issue. That way you can move out after 2 months of and not lose your deposit if they dont sort the issue.

I wouldn't recommend this. By withholding rent you are breaking your contract. Continue to pay in full, but make more complaints to the landlord. I'd advise contacting Threshold or the PRTB to find out your rights in this situation.

I'm moving this to Accomodation & Property.

dudara

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Seems strange the person without key wouldn't just buzz the partner already inside their flat. Why buzz neighbours? You can only get them into the building, not the flat.
    He probably doesn't have a key, so when his slag is out working, he buzzes the neighbours to let him in.

I would definitely go with the ignoring approach, even if it's 4am. Try get the other 3 tenants onboard. Not entirely a great idea (you'd be breaking the terms of your lease), but maybe get a knowledgeable mate to disconnect your buzzer for a week or so and tell your mates to ring you on the mobile if they want to be let in.

dudara wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend this. By withholding rent you are breaking your contract. Continue to pay in full, but make more complaints to the landlord. I'd advise contacting Threshold or the PRTB to find out your rights in this situation.

I'm moving this to Accomodation & Property.

dudara

Yeah and by the girl downstairs living with her boyfriend she is also breaking her contract and the ladlord could not gie a flying toss. The only thing that will get their attention is monetary loss. Threshold or the PRTB will do precisely nothing to help you. Help yourself is my motto. Only those that break the rules win in this situation - those who live by them get screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Mazeire

Yeah and by the girl downstairs living with her boyfriend she is also breaking her contract and the ladlord could not gie a flying toss. The only thing that will get their attention is monetary loss. Threshold or the PRTB will do precisely nothing to help you. Help yourself is my motto. Only those that break the rules win in this situation - those who live by them get screwed.

If you are suggesting the OP witholds his/her rent, then thats a really bad idea. The op signed a contract/lease agrreing to pay x a month. Not paying the rent will result in the op being out on the street and loosing their deposit. Not good.

Yeah and by the girl downstairs living with her boyfriend she is also breaking her contract and the ladlord could not gie a flying toss.

Irrelevant. you need to maintain your contract in order to keep your roof over your head.
    kmick wrote:
    The only thing that will get their attention is monetary loss.

So will constant phonecalls from you and the other tenants.
    kmick wrote:
    Only those that break the rules win in this situation - those who live by them get screwed.

Not a very nice way to live life. The smartest operators are those that maneouver within the rules.

Only those that break the rules win in this situation - those who live by them get screwed.
    And all landlords are scum too :rolleyes:
    Those who break the rules get evicted. The landlord hasn't done anything in this siutation that warrants withholding rent. Not yet, anyway.

If the landlord receives constant complaints about this pair, he will have to act.

I agree pressure on landlord is probably best route but they have already contacted their landlord and s/he just says meh. Plus its not up to them to form some sort of quasi union with the rest of the housemates.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Photos of boyfriend arriving at 4am?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

If you need to prove that she has moved her boyfriend in you could take photos of post that has arrived for him.

If he's not living there then no post should arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Firstly, tell anyone who is calling over to you, to ring your mobile.

Then disable your intercom, and tell your neighbours you are doing so, as you're sick of letting the little bas*ard in. Tell/show them how you are disabling it, in case they want to do so also.

When he gets the message that no-one will answer, he may come over less.

Advertisement