Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Neighbours alloys stolen...

Options
  • 13-02-2008 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

My neighbour has a Mercedes C180 Coupe, identical to the one below with the same alloys. The alloys were stolen last night (generously left the nuts behind) so if anyone happens to see a set for sale with brand new tires maybe they would mention it here. The lady of the house is due their first baby tomorrow, what terrible luck :mad::mad::mad:.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=790869

House is on Glascairn Lane, on Fairyhouse Road in Ratoath.

Head

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

I'd say they have been stolen to order for another car, probably wont end up on the open market.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Sorry to hear that. Out of interest though, would there be any way to prove that the wheels had come from your neighbour's car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Anan1 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. Out of interest though, would there be any way to prove that the wheels had come from your neighbour's car?

No there probably wouldnt actually. I havent spoken to them yet but I doubt it as it looks like they didnt have locking nuts either.

When I posted the thread I was just very angry about it and wanted to do something to help but thinking logically now its not likely they will ever be found :(.

With all the frost recently I have been leaving my car running outside the house to heat it up in the mornings, I dont think I'll be doing that now. Silly to do it in the first place to be fair so I should consider myself lucky!

Out of interest is there a surefire way to prevent alloys being stolen? I'm sure theres a way around locking nuts?

Head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Could there be a chance the VIN of the car is stamped on them, check with a Merc dealer. I know some manufacturers stamp this on parts, whether the wheels are included in this I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Head wrote: »
    Out of interest is there a surefire way to prevent alloys being stolen? I'm sure theres a way around locking nuts?

Head

At the end of the day if a thief is determined enough they will get them. The thing is though that most of this sort of thing is done by your typical opportunist scumbag looking to sell the alloys on quickly to pay for his next fix.

While locking nuts may not totally prevent the alloy wheels from being stolen, it will slow the average scumbag down and probably make them move onto another car which doesn't have the hassel of undoing locking nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

bazz26 wrote: »
    While locking nuts may not totally prevent the alloy wheels from being stolen, it will slow the average scumbag down and probably make them move onto another car which doesn't have the hassel of undoing locking nuts.

Right then, five sets of locking nuts it is then :cool:.

Head

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Locking nuts aved my rear wheel recently. They managed to take off 4 of the 5 nuts.
    Initially I thought the wheel had just worked lose as I had recently had a wheel bearing replaced. However the only one left was the locking nut. Herself was driving the car with just one nut!! Scary stuff.
    She had left it overnight in the airport business park, the week I spotted the missing nuts. The weekly wash paid off here, it is a good time to do an over all inspection of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Yep my new wheels are worth about a grand and the car is parke dout on a main road rather than at my house. RObbing the wheels is bad enough, but the damage the cause if they dont put it up on bricks, i hear soemtimes they'll just rob the wheels and let the car drop which wouyld wreck the the car.

Im getting 2 different sets of locking nuts to make it more difficult, i think 2 cheaper sets would be more hassle to remove than 1 good set??

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Do not use more than 1 locking bolt per wheel as they are not designed to take the stresses that an ordinary bolt takes.

Advertisement