Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Private Speed Cameras...Some Good News

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

E92 wrote: »
    Why do they need Jags or BMWs? If they need something with a bit of power, there are loads of much cheaper cars that would easily offer the same levels of power as these big expensive cars?

We're talking about value for taxpayers' money here, not oh we'll get them a BMW because it has a much nicer badge or because when we're arresting people, we wouldn't want to be cramping their style in a "mere" Skoda, and all the other things like ride comfort, noise etc might make a car better, but at the end of the day these cars are being bought to catch criminals cause the current Garda fleet can't keep up with a lot of criminals these days, so none of the usual criteria that apply matters, all a Garda car needs to be able to do is be reliable, and be able to go fast when required at the best value for the taxpayer.

Sure, no problems with that. I was merely suggesting the UK as an example, the cars I mentioned are all in their motorway fleet. Sure they drive a lot of corsas too. As far as I know they tender for the fleet with certain spec and go with the best value in both jurisdictions. At no point did I suggest any element of badge snobbery, not sure where you go that from. Just reckon the Gardai should be as well as equipped as possible so they can do their job in safety.

http://www.policecaruk.com/new/photos.htm

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Victor wrote: »
    All these schemes tak in a lot of money at the start and that drops substantially when people start obeying the speed limits.

True - but.... can you give an example of any country operating speed cameras at a loss?? Even the most widely publicised and highly visible camera systems still make a profit - therefore they don't work. A cop in a car will save countless more lives on the roads but this would mean spending money - of which, after the hefty pay raises in governvent, there's no more left!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[breaking news]Just heard on Newstalk that the cabinet have give privately operated cameras the green light. No sign of anything on the news sites though, anyone know any more?[/breaking news]

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭orbital83

Process to rollout speed cameras 'at advanced stage'
    26/02/2008 - 19:07:07

Following it's weekly Cabinet meeting this morning, the Government have announced that the tender process for the rollout of a national speed camera network is at a very advanced stage.

They said that contract negotiations with the preferred bidder will get underway shortly.

This is in line with the Road Strategy policy, and is sure to be welcomed by road safety campaigners, many of whom have critced the lack of progress in this area so far.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojauqlmhid/

Woohoo! Crack open the champagne. Looks like we don't have much longer to wait!! :rolleyes:

One question always springs to mind for me.
    On a wide single carriageway like the N4, if you need to overtake, do you have to stay within the 100km/h limit to avoid getting flashed?

For instance, if you're travelling at 100km/h and need to overtake a lorry travelling at 80km/h, and road conditions are wet, I'd imagine the maneouvre will take about 300 metres to execute safely.
    If you want to do it without speeding you'll have to spend 54 seconds on the wrong side of the road :eek: and that assumes you can accelerate from 80 to 100 instantaneously.

If the vehicle ahead of you is doing 90, you'll be on the wrong side of the road for nearly two minutes. Dead safe.

I imagine the gardai exercise common sense in such scenarios. However, privately operated speed cameras aren't reknowned for common sense.
    How does this work - or do I need to start practising now?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

The situation of the slow overtake happened when penalty points came in. It happened for about 4 weeks.

People were overtaking at just a few mph above the other car and taking a dangerous amount of time on the other side of the road. Particularily bad on the N5 to Castlebar. I remember it as it is an awful road with little room for a good overtake and people were taking so long in overtakes that I got really frustrated.

As for the guards having common sense....friend overtook a slow moving tractor on a straight stretch of road in Cork and got done for speeding over 100kph. It was a diesal 307 and got to 115kph on the overtake. He was approching at 100kph before the overtake. When he explained to the guard (and it was obvious), the guard expliained he was traffic corp and that he had to give the ticket for speeding. If he was a local guard he may have let him off. Makes absolutly no sense but it is true.

• Advertisement
Advertisement