Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the craic with repeating a year?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Yeh so can anyone tell me what I need to do or whatever ya know!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Brimmy

Contact the Programme office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

There doesn't seem to be any craic with repeating a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

There doesn't seem to be any craic with repeating a year!

took the words straight out of my mouth,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

its fairly poor from a standards point of view that someone can repeat a year at all, for non-extraordinary circumstances (e.g. medical, bereavement etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Agreed, although it keeps the money rolling in I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

no craic my fren,no craic for you if ya repeat.

all your mates will be one year ahead of you and you probably will drop out due to too much pressure all over you.And you will very likely to get a nervous breakdown when you get one of your subjects fail,again!then you will end up spending the rest of your life in some insane asylum....and the legendary man with bat wont be there for ya!

i know this is horrible and very unkind speaking...but it's truth ya know!

p/s:today is a bad day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

Theres loads of craic in repeating a year as long as you have friends in 4 year courses (presuming yours is a 3 year one), or who've also failed years, or who're going on to masters programs. As long as youve still got people to have lunch with and go drinking with its great craic, even less work to do than in a normal year of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

depends what youre repeating though, a whole year or just a few modules, still though itll test whether you really want youre degree so I suppose the standards thing doesnt really come into it, now maybe if youre repeating the year for the 2nd or 3rd time, like a certain student in science we all know and love(maybe)

btw seraphimvc that post was really really depressing and Im not even repeating anything, nada

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Four-Too

If you have loads of free time, spend the year gambling....nothing better to beat boredom. Except when you look at your bank balance at the end up. Great way to spend a repeat year in my opinion, if you've only 1 or 2 modules :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

AdamDee wrote: »
    Yeh so can anyone tell me what I need to do or whatever ya know!

Go to your programme office, if they mention anything you can do so you dont have to repeat the year do it. Repeating is not at all fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

woop wrote: »
    btw seraphimvc that post was really really depressing and Im not even repeating anything, nada

:Dah,comon,i admit that was a bad morning!but my no candy for ya post must have just saved a corrupted 1st yr pal:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

you have not lived until you've repeated a year, best days ever, 2 hours a week, 3 days off, wow *longs for those days again*

from an academic point of view it was the best thing i did (or had to do), you actually cop on to yourself that you have to do things like actually enter the library and start your coursework days in advance instead of 3 hours before the deadline...

however the repeating system seems awfully messy now, i know a fair amount of people in this 'Stage X' instead of simply repeating what they failed the previous year (like it previously was) and they are aimlessly floating about not knowing what the f**k is going on with their course, doing 2nd and 3rd year modules hand in hand, concentrating on passing those capped 2nd year modules instead of aiming for honours in their 3rd year modules, extortionate fees for repeating modules and exams eating them alive.... repeating in UCD as far as i'm concerned is now nothing but a money making scam to the detriment of students education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

There has to be a severe financial penalty to repeating a year, otherwise, every jackass would be doing it. It's not a money making scam, it is a punitive fee system.

The fact that you can repeat at all is contentious. If you have to repeat, IMO, it is unlikely you are suited to an academic environment and are wasting peoples time. University is a place for academic subjects to be read. If you're not into academics, they you shouldn't be there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Sean_K wrote: »
    There has to be a severe financial penalty to repeating a year, otherwise, every jackass would be doing it. It's not a money making scam, it is a punitive fee system.

2004/2005 it was €193 or so to resit all of your subjects, now in 2007/2008 to resit it's €200 per module.

that means if student in 2007/2008 failed all their modules and has to repeat the exam they pay a whopping €2,400 vs €193 to same student in 04/05.

don't get me wrong, i agree a financial penalty is a good deterrent to get students of their ass to make sure they pass their exams but a €200 fee to resit one module exam is absolutely f**king obscene, its fleecing and nothing else.
    The fact that you can repeat at all is contentious. If you have to repeat, IMO, it is unlikely you are suited to an academic environment and are wasting peoples time. University is a place for academic subjects to be read. If you're not into academics, they you shouldn't be there.

I failed 1st year, had to repeat the year and 2 years later in my final year i'm heading for a 1st class honours, my case alone proves that providing students with the opportunity to repeat their exams or to repeat the year is an absolute necessity. extortionate repeat fees being charged now by UCD is only going to make students who failed but have the ability to well to drop out of this university for good

Advertisement