Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asthma - later years?

Options
  • 13-02-2008 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here develop asthma in their twenties? I never had a prob until last August, when got bad chest infection. Been in and out of docs and hospitals since then...put on loads of inhalers steriods etc...

Never knew this could happen and its gettin really annoying at this stage. Its like havin a bad cold everyday :mad: Steriods may be bad for you but ya feel way better on them tho!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I was diagnosed in my 30s. It hasn't restricted me too much but it's really annoying. Every time you get a cold it turns into a chest infection that takes forever to clear. The dry tickly cough at night time drives me (and the OH) nuts. It can be managed though, there are 3 asthmatics in this house so I've had to make a few changes.
    Eliminate as much dust from your house as you can especially the bedroom.
    Get rid of carpets.
    Change your pillows and duvet to non allergenic ones.
    Open the windows as often as you can, dust mites hate cold breezes. It kills them off quickly.
    Get rid of dust gatherers (teddies and the like)
    Don't spray your furniture with polish, just use a damp cloth to wipe everywhere.
    This might sound like a lot of trivial nonsense but these steps make a HUGE difference. These are all recommendations from the British asthma society.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,766 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

yeah cheers for that Jos28, at a fairly bad stage at the moment coughing up alot of stuff n feelin week etc...once it clears I'll get rid of the carpet etc. Thanks again

It might seem like a lot of work but it does help to reduce the amount of meds you have to take. Try to get as much fresh air into your lungs as possible. Lots of walks on the beach etc.
    Best of luck

Just out of curiosty. What drugs were you on and for how long?

Permanently on becotide and ventolin. Occasionally on anti-biotics (klacid) and steroids if the infection is bad. I usually try to avoid the anti-biotics, I try and fight infection without them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

jos28 wrote: »
    I usually try to avoid the anti-biotics, I try and fight infection without them.

Why?
    antibiotics were without doubt one of the top 3 best inventions of the 20th century, so I cant understand peoples aversion to using them.
    Antibiotics are an asthmatics best friend provided you and you GP manage them properly.
    The bad press they get is due to people taking them for colds and flus and other viral infections for which they are useless.

(If you had a headache you would take a painkiller, so if you have an infection, take an antibiotic!)

Take them as soon as you find that a heavy cold is becoming a chest infection, and you'll nip the chest infection in the bud before it becomes bad, and before it develops into pneumonia or worse.
    Ask you GP to rotate the antibiotics regularly so that the bacteria in your body dont build up resistance to them.
    I tried on occasions to fight a chest infection myself and sometimes it works, but mostly it just gets worse.

I was taking several anti bios in different periods from July last year to Jan of this year, Klacid, augmentin, truxin and amoxicillin. None seemed to work, so my infection was viral. It all started with a chest infection that I ignored, by breathin stopped almost and have on steriods on and off, symbicort and ventilin.

They didnt help me but like you said, my chest infection was a viral one (or so Im told) so they had no effect.

I suppose it does sound stupid to try and fight infection alone. I suppose it goes back to a fear of building up resistance to them. I have always felt that if I take them for a mild infection then they won't work if I get a bad one. Ridiculous, I know. I blame my Mother, she was always warning me against using them. I will change my approach and start a course as soon as I feel an infection starting. Good tip about getting your GP to rotate them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

As an asthmatic I've spent a lot of time on antibiotics, and I'm fussy now about which ones I'll take. As part of my job I've done a lot of research into antibiotic resistance in (foodborne) bacteria so I've a good understanding now of both the benefits and downsides of antibiotics.
    If they are taken properly and not over-prescribed they are lifesavers.
    Thankfully my asthma is settled down a good bit now, I rarely have to take ventolin, and other than coughing and clearing my throat a lot it doesnt affect my life that much (I think it annoys people around me more than me!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've had it since childhood but the nature of it has changed since my late 20s. Now when I get a cold I invariably end up in with the doctor. Not necessarily with a chest infection but because the inhalers aren't working so well and my chest is tight. Result = cortisone. I wish there was something else I could take which wouldn't involve seeing the doctor. It's turning into an annoying pattern and I'm getting to the stage where being near someone with a cold chills me to the bone.

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    I've had it since childhood but the nature of it has changed since my late 20s. Now when I get a cold I invariably end up in with the doctor. Not necessarily with a chest infection but because the inhalers aren't working so well and my chest is tight. Result = cortisone. I wish there was something else I could take which wouldn't involve seeing the doctor. It's turning into an annoying pattern and I'm getting to the stage where being near someone with a cold chills me to the bone.

Yeah its depressing alright. I have this 8 months now, and its no case of a man cold let me tell you. Was some shock not being able to breath. I get pains in my arms and legs sometimes (both sides) they come and go, its like a constant flu. I spit every 10 minutes, produce way too much phlegm. Breathing is alot better. I hear you when ya say stay away from ppl with flu...your liable to catch anything.

In the meantime I suggest to take vitimin C, eat onions,ginger,orange juice and turmeric. Try keep wait down and do breathing exercises. Keep central heating down as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

I was diagnosed in my early 20s.

my sister was diagnosed in he 40s

It is called Adult Onset Asthma.

good like on the subject
    http://respiratory-lung.health-cares.net/adult-onset-asthma.php

I find that if I use dairy product I have a lot more phlegm.

Most asthmatics produce too much phlegm.

I found not using dairy products improved my breathing considerably.

I am not lactose intolerant.

I also use GarliC. it is a mixture of Garlic and vitamin C in a control release form.

http://www.sona.ie/product.asp?id=267

GarliC.jpg

Advertisement