Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Fried Ice-Cream

• 13-02-2008 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone got any simple methods that work?

Ta.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭MzFusspot

Hmmm, I've never tried this before but I'd imagine what you need to do is scoop balls of icecream and then freeze them on a non stick baking tray (or baking tray with a sheet of grease proof on it) until they are absolutely rock solid, leave them in the freezer for as long as possible. Then head your deep fat fryer up to a high heat and pop the ice cream balls in for a couple of seconds, taking them out with a slotted spoon when they start to look golden and caramelised.

You could also roll the icecream balls in crushed cornflakes or biscuits while they're soft and then freeze the bejaysus out of them to add extra crunch when they're done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I tried these before, I think I wrapped a scoop of ice cream in a sheet of filo pastry. I made a cmplete balls of them anyway so I'm not much use to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

long time since I made this, used to be on the menu in a restaurant I worked in years ago. The ice cream needs to be protected by something before you put it in the deep fat fryer, the filo pastry idea might work but what we used to do was put scoops of ice cream in freezer to get really firm, take it out, dip quickly in beaten egg and breadcrumbs, these should be breadcrumbs made from bread dried out in oven, not fresh breadcrumbs. They should be more like biscuit crumbs but preferable not browned as they will brown in fryer. Put back in freezer to get rock hard again and repeat with another layer of egg and breadcrumbs. Freeze again and then when ready to serve quick dip in fryer until lightly brown. If there is any break in covering ice cream will melt and ruin oil, sort of same theory as baked alaska, ice cream must be totally covered. Serve with a nice caramel sauce. In my opinion not worth the bother as no matter how fast you serve them, the outer shell goes cold very fast because of ice cream and you just have a soggy coating and ice cream.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

i had a nice deep fried icecream once when i was out. it was vanilla in a light coconut batter and served on a bed of flaming sambucca. i liked it even when it went cold

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Never tried it, but i did have baked alaska which is kinda similar, and very delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Where I worked it was just scooped, frozen, rolled in crushed cornflakes, and deep fried. Was never a huge fan myself, I prefer it in batter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Thanks for all the help. Might not bother with all the effort.

Advertisement