Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft,Intel,Nvidia and AMD - The Gaming Alliance

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Hopefully these companies can work together to fix some of the main issues (or even preconceptions) that are associated with gaming on the pc. The problem is that they are direct market competitors, so they i cant see them being too forthcoming about certain aspects of their tech. Either way, its a good thing, which can only (hopefully) help pc gaming.

What i'd love to see is an effective way of dealing with Piracy. I know its not something that any of these companies specifically focus on, but if they put enough pressure on the market and some government bodies, then they could probably do alot more then they currently are doing.

p.s. lets not turn this into another console vs pc gaming thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Kiith wrote: »
    What i'd love to see is an effective way of dealing with Piracy. I know its not something that any of these companies specifically focus on, but if they put enough pressure on the market and some government bodies, then they could probably do alot more then they currently are doing.

Its going to require the internet becoming less public than it is currently. The internet is pretty much an ungoverned country at the moment. For the same reason students go to amsterdam to smoke pot, people go to the internet to pirate. To change this they are going to have to remove a lot of our internet freedoms that we currently take for granted. I see it becoming a situation where you don't simply get internet access. You have to sign up for a package to access sites within a certain IP range. (like "purchase the Google, Amazon and ebay package, get youtube free, offer ends friday")

That or the corporations simply give in and all media is made free to the masses and funded by voluntary donations :rolleyes: and then pigs will fly.

EDIT: From a technology point of view, if these companies can work together we should see some pretty powerful hardware getting released in the next few years. The holy grail of computing would be a system where all PU's can be housed on the one chip, and instead of RAM just use multiple levels of cache (imagine a processor with the GPU, CPU, FPU, ALU, NB, SB...etc with 4GB+ of cache levels all on the one chip) Its possible but the costs are just too high to manufacture it. But maybe if these companies pool their resources we could see it become a reality. (this is one of the better things that will come out of the ATI/AMD merger. AMD are already looking into CPU/GPU integration for mobile/embedded devices. Hopefully they will develop solutions also for desktop devices.)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Net Neutrality is a must for the internet. If corporations start adding tiers and costs, it will take away everything that made the internet what it is today (a pron filled, virus ridden, joy :D). But ISP's should monitor users traffic (to a certain extent) and simply ban people who break the t&c. BBC reported that the British governemt are considering a volunteer system, where users can report sites that contain links to illegal file sharing/p2p sites. While this could be abused, if responsible people were put on this, it could work.
    L31mr0d wrote: »
    EDIT: From a technology point of view, if these companies can work together we should see some pretty powerful hardware getting released in the next few years. The holy grail of computing would be a system where all PU's can be housed on the one chip, and instead of RAM just use multiple levels of cache (imagine a processor with the GPU, CPU, FPU, ALU, NB, SB...etc with 4GB+ of cache levels all on the one chip) Its possible but the costs are just too high to manufacture it. But maybe if these companies pool their resources we could see it become a reality. (this is one of the better things that will come out of the ATI/AMD merger. AMD are already looking into CPU/GPU integration for mobile/embedded devices. Hopefully they will develop solutions also for desktop devices.)
    The real question, is do these companies really want a single, all powerful piece of equipment. While it undoubtingly would increase the demand of the pc for gaming, it would remove some of the choice available to users, and would limit the things that set each of these companies apart (not to mention their market share).

I'm not somone who believes that pc gaming is dead or dying, and with digital distribution and online subscription gaming at an all time high, things are going fine. They could be better though, and hopefully this 'Alliance' will only improve the current situation.

Advertisement