Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mustard good or bad?

• 13-02-2008 11:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Was thinking about this the other day - I have a sandwhich for lunch. Always make it myself as I'm a veggie and have been driven mad by the deli people in spar who keep putting the beard down on top of tuna and chicken left over from the last order. Usually its a crunchy whole grain bread, with tomato, cucumber, some veggie cheese and mustard and I was wondering whats the 411 on mustard? never really hear people taking about it like they do with butter or ketchup.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Mustard seeds are in themselves quite healthy - link

Mustard sauce may have sugar and other stuff added, but due to the small amount that you would be using, I wouldn't be too concerned about its effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Mustard is fine. Enjoy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Maybe this is a question for here

davej

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mustard is fine. Enjoy.

It usually is. Normally it is low in calories and is a good sub for mayo etc. BUT in recent years I have seen more and more of these "deli" mustards, some are quite high in fat, and they are very mild so people might tend to add lots. Some might call it "hotdog" mustard like the yellow frenchs brand

%5Cimages%5Cproducts%5Cfrench_mustard.jpg

I think it has some added fat, but some of the newer ones have lots. Just read the labels, all the info is there. But if you are in a sandwich bar it is safer to go for a small bit of english mustard, which is strong and usually low in calories.

I am fond of a polish hotdog mustard you get in supermarkets now, very mild, no added fat, but I think mustard has some natural fat

Advertisement