Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fog Lights people!!

Options
13»

Comments

smemon wrote: »

Was stuck in a convoy behind some pleb doing 60km/hr all the way to college this morning for a good 20 minutes. Nobody could overtake due to the fact visibility was limited (and it's a poor road anyway), plus there were several plonkers coming in the opposite direction with no lights on. There must have been a tail back of at least 50 cars.

Had we been behind a tractor, there would have been collisions - no doubt about it. People don't like driving slow, no matter what the conditions are. If one person won't overtake, it means the car behind has to jump 2 spaces etc..

All it takes is one itchy right foot, bit of inexperience or whatever and bang - head on collision with the oncoming silver car who has no lights on. 3 guilty parties - the guy going under the limit and too slow (which can be judged by the sheer volume of traffic built up behind him), the guy overtaking for not having patience and the oncoming driver for not having lights on.

I cannot defend idiots who overtake, but i can't help but feel so many accidents could be prevented if people actually speed up and use lights.

Jaysus I dont defend slow coaches either but if a crash happened in those circumstances then the slow coach is not liable whatsoever. Your talking about people "having to" jump 2 spaces? Nobody HAS TO!! Painful as it can be sometimes your better off holding back especially if its foggy I mean.... GODDAMN :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

smemon wrote: »
    If i had my way, you'd be fined if you don't have fog lights on when it's foggy. No lights on and an automatic ban.
    Are you talking about me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't worry lads, they'll all have their fog lights on tomorrow, foggy or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Biro wrote: »
    Are you thick or what? Front foglights don't help any more than dipped headlights from the point of view of being seen. If he couldn't see my dips, then he certainly couldn't see my front foglights...

Is this a theory, or a fact ? Not trying to argue, but I would have thought it's the other way around.... is there any evidence to back up what you say ?

In my previous post about merging in, you could add in drivers coming out of gates and junctions without facility for merging lane and where for example you have cross traffic to turn right onto a road (maybe I should have said joining instead of merging)

Omcd wrote: »
    Is this a theory, or a fact ? Not trying to argue, but I would have thought it's the other way around.... is there any evidence to back up what you say ?

In my previous post about merging in, you could add in drivers coming out of gates and junctions without facility for merging lane and where for example you have cross traffic to turn right onto a road (maybe I should have said joining instead of merging)

Park your car with the dips on on a foggy morning. Walk way back and note the distance at which point your dips are no longer visible. Walk back to the car, turn on the foglights. Walk back and see if you can see them any further away. That's all the evidence you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Would do, only my car doesn't have front fogs either :D!

The last one I had did have front fogs, and driving around in thick fog with them on about every third car flashed me as if I was doing something wrong :confused: :mad: - I still think if its foggy you should use them - if you have them that is (and not in a traffic jam:rolleyes:).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

What about the Muppets who drive around with Front Fogs on all the time as if they are a fashion accessory?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Biro wrote: »
    Are you thick or what? Front foglights don't help any more than dipped headlights from the point of view of being seen. If he couldn't see my dips, then he certainly couldn't see my front foglights if my car had them, which it doesn't.
    If I can glance in my mirror and make out the make and model clearly of the cars in both lanes behind, then I know for a fact that I'm safe in assuming that they can also see the make and model of my car. In that case, then there's hardly need for me to turn on my rear fog lights to say "Oh, look at me! I can acknowledge that there's fog outside by finding my fog light button!"

What about the drivers on the opposite side of the road? They're not going to see you until the last minute. If fog lights were of no use then surely they wouldn't be on cars in the first place right. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

sirpsycho wrote: »
    What about the drivers on the opposite side of the road? They're not going to see you until the last minute. If fog lights were of no use then surely they wouldn't be on cars in the first place right. :rolleyes:
    Front fog lights only help you to see (ahead of you) when it's very foggy. They are no better than dipped front headlights for making you more visible to drivers in front of you. If front fogs were necessary to be seen by other drivers, they'd be fitted to all cars. I've owned four cars - only one had front fogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

sirpsycho wrote: »

They're rarely on cars to begin with!

• Advertisement

Front fog lights only help you to see (ahead of you) when it's very foggy. They are no better than dipped front headlights for making you more visible to drivers in front of you. If front fogs were necessary to be seen by other drivers, they'd be fitted to all cars. I've owned four cars - only one had front fogs.

Exactly the point I was making in two other posts, but it seems he can't understand what I'm saying, so maybe he'll understand the way you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Good news here is that the use of fog lights front and rear, when it's not foggy is to become a penalty point offence.....

bring it on :)

Advertisement