Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best spud for making chips

• 13-02-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I have been using Kerr Pinks for making chips myself at home and up to recently they have been gorgeous. In the last few weeks though they are not the same and are not going crispy for me. I haven't changed the type of oil I am using or the way I cook them so I am thinking that maybe it is just the season they are grown in. Does anyone have any suggestions what would be the best spud to use for home-made chips - can't stand the fozen ones, they are tasteless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

I think Maris Pipers are best. Not always easy to get though

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I like roosters myself but I've also heard the Maris Pipers are the bee's knees for chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭katieboo

Was thinking Maris Pipers myself. Must go on the hunt for some after work, thanks for the replies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I tried Maris Pipers and didn't think they were as good as Roosters. They seemed to go brown very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Was a fruit and veg guy for a few years and have come to realise that the Maris Piper are the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

I tried Maris Pipers and didn't think they were as good as Roosters. They seemed to go brown very quickly.

That will happen if you put them in at too high a temperature too quickly. You need to cook for 8-10 mins at about 150. Take them out and turn up the heat - then they only need 1-2 mins at about 190

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Never used them, but Maris Piper are supposedly the best. I actually seen them in Dunnes at the weekend, I think they had some kind of offer on them, you can get them in Supervalu occasionally too. If you can't find them try Roosters, that's what I always use and they turn out perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Golden wonder are the best - the reason golden wonder are not available in the shops is because they are only available to industrial chip makers like McCains. Saying that, sometimes available at farmers markets. Seed potatoes can be bought from organic seed suppliers. I have some growing in a collection of 40 ltr plasterers buckets.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭ambman

Minder wrote: »
    Golden wonder are the best - the reason golden wonder are not available in the shops is because they are only available to industrial chip makers like McCains. Saying that, sometimes available at farmers markets. Seed potatoes can be bought from organic seed suppliers. I have some growing in a collection of 40 ltr plasterers buckets.

Golden wonders are available in dunnes!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

I've also heard maris pipers are the best!

I saw them in marks and spencers before if that's any use. They seem to use them more in britain...I could be wrong on that though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Roosters ftw! Quite hard to find in Britain though, Maris Pipers are much more popular here.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭JackieO

Minder wrote: »

Total rubbish

You'll get golden wonders in any decent veg shop and in plenty of surpermarkets I'm sure. They are not available all year round though and are probably the most expensive brand. Having said that Maris pipers are pricey too.

Maris pipers defiantely the best. THey are most used in the catering trade. This is also partly related to their generally larger size being good for peeling.

Personally I would stick with Roosters. They are cheap and readily available nearly year round.

I've heard that sweet potatoes are nice for chips too. Keeping meaning to try them.

Advertisement