Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

its speaks volumes about the state of the media in this country that they keep rolling her out.

god damn rolodex mentality of the media here knows no end.

even IF we buy into this "resurgence" in FF (and the difference between them and SF in the polls is within the margin of error ) surely it makes more sense to get onto fionnans missus as a rep of someone thats actually there and supposedly responsible for it as opposed to that dinosaur that fuked the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh jesus brendan "the banks will only cost us a billion" keenan giving us his pearls of financial wisdom in relation to the property tax on the lunchtime show right now.

fecker is shameless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭el diablo

That chap filling in for Hook (I think he usually does de filums) is bruuuutal. Coughing and spluttering into the microphone and lacking basic elocution skills.

Where do they find these people? :confused:

Edit: Philip Molloy I think it is.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

oh jesus brendan "the banks will only cost us a billion" keenan giving us his pearls of financial wisdom in relation to the property tax on the lunchtime show right now.

fecker is shameless

Indeed, another bluffer of the highest order who got things spectacularly wrong. However he still has his column in the Indo and he still gets asked his opinion on both Newstalk and RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I think Philip Molloy is a decent stand in for George.

He just sounds a bit too much like he's readign the script at times.

A few times I've switched on and heard him instead of George and it's actually been a bit of a relief.

• Advertisement

I think Philip Molloy is a decent stand in for George.

He just sounds a bit too much like he's readign the script at times.

A few times I've switched on and heard him instead of George and it's actually been a bit of a relief.

Ok, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him. Think I maybe just caught him at a bad moment (him coughing etc. into the mic.).:)

I don't usually listen to him or Hook on Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Any time I hear anyone other than Hook, it's a bit of a relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

What is it about Fridays and Newstalk? There's breaking news about Ireland's position with regard to the permanent bailout fund yet Philip Molloy and Laurel and Hardy are talking about film scores! :confused:

Later on we'll be "treated" to repeats of interviews from this week's Off The Ball.

Do most Newstalk employees take a half-day on Friday's???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

What is it about Fridays and Newstalk? There's breaking news about Ireland's position with regard to the permanent bailout fund yet Philip Molloy and Laurel and Hardy are talking about film scores! :confused:

Later on we'll be "treated" to repeats of interviews from this week's Off The Ball.

Do most Newstalk employees take a half-day on Friday's???

Would you prefer if all radio stations broadcast the same "news" for hours on end?

As a nation we're ****ed, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

I prefer Phillip Morris to Hook but to be honest I'd prefer anyone to Hook (apart from Shane Coleman).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another dull drone where a football commentary should be from NT (Ken Early)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

el diablo wrote: »
    Ok, maybe I'm being a bit harsh on him. Think I maybe just caught him at a bad moment (him coughing etc. into the mic.).:)

I don't usually listen to him or Hook on Newstalk.

If you did, you'd hear George inhaling and exhaling like a frickin' Bison with emphysema.

Philip Molloy's elocution bugs me too sometimes - turty tree etc, but he's decent enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Just listening there to Chris Donoghue trying to construct his questions.

He puts the actual question in the first few words, but then seems unable to stop his flow and can’t finish the …………….

Eg – How did you feel that day, did you feel bad or………., because its often the case that people have mixed feelings after that sort of thing……..or did you feel good or…… because sometimes its hard to tell?

He puts the actual question in the first few words, but then seems unable to stop his flow and can’t finish the …………….

Eg – How did you feel that day, did you feel bad or………., because its often the case that people have mixed feelings after that sort of thing……..or did you feel good or…… because sometimes its hard to tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"I cant sell my 8 bedroom house"..

Get up the yard missus... Why the hell is somebody buying a mansion out of borrowed money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

"I cant sell my 8 bedroom house"..

Get up the yard missus... Why the hell is somebody buying a mansion out of borrowed money...

Here's an idea... LIVE IN THE F*CKING HOUSE?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Totally agree with you... he is an awful interviewer. He lacks credibility (IMO).
    Comes across as very immature at times . Then you have Hooke blathering on, and Seam M (who I like) with a million eh eh eh eh eh's in each sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sheepkins

Tut tut Chris Donohue -not a good idea to start the day using Jesus Christ as a swear word.You should be able to do better than that!

Does anyone know if Bryan Cranston has been on Tom Dunne yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Does anyone know if Bryan Cranston has been on Tom Dunne yet?

Yes.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/entertainment/video-tom-dunne-meets-bryan-cranston/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Cant stand that Brendan Keenan creep... Another fool who got it all wrong and is still invited in to radio studios to speak authoritatively about economics... Has he ever apologised for his appearance on Prime Time?

Where's Norah Casey gone to?

mike65 wrote: »
    Where's Norah Casey gone to?

She's on holidays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

She's on holidays.
    Is she not on the new RTE daytime show?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

el diablo wrote: »
    She writes for a woman's magazine also. Busy lady.

I think youll find she owns that magazine!

A better question is why is she getting so much media work?

She is absolutely useless on the breakfast show if it isnt a business story.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I think youll find she owns that magazine!

A better question is why is she getting so much media work?

She is absolutely useless on the breakfast show if it isnt a business story.

She is absolutely useless on the breakfast show {FULL STOP}

I've yet to hear anyone say anything positive about this woman, seems to be a very, very unpleasant person with zero talent for radio work.

I switched off the Breakfast Show after her first day on air and switched to Morning Ireland which is a drab depressing soulless piece of radio but will have to make do while shes on the airwaves, would be nice if there was updates on her days off. I only read yesterday that she was off this week.

I much prefer Shane Coleman and Chris to Norah and Chris. They should never have changed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I much prefer Shane Coleman and Chris to Norah and Chris. They should never have changed it.

Me too. Shane is pretty bland and not really a radio natural but at least he knows his stuff and makes a decent fist of the heavyweight political interviews. I guess they must have been looking for a 'personality to replace Ivan though.

+1. As much as I dislike the Chris and Shane partnership, I prefer it to Chris and Nora without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭woppi

(1) He lived in America in the 80s - things are different now.

(2) Paul is usually in the top half of canidates in polls taken. By Hook's logic, the likes of Santorum, Johnson and Huntsman would also be irrelevant. Anyway, a broadcaster should not pick and choose which candidates he/she talks about.

(1) The wonderful thing about politics is that it comes with historical baggage which means no matter how different things are now as opposed to 30 years ago, the rules of the game do not really change. The fact that Hook has practical experience with living in the US, as many of us have, is not important. His passion for, and knowledge of, politics and political history (which appears to be focused on US & UK) are the significant credentials for his credibility in this matter.

(2) Perhaps this 'irrelevant' comment was taken out of context. Hook has commented in the past on the impact that independent candidates can have on the party candidates. For example, the republican candidate may loose votes in a swing state to an independent that is seen as more republican. These independents provide a 'protest vote' option, but would never be seen as contenders for the oval office until the voting system changes to proportional representation. So, in that way, they are irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

She is absolutely useless on the breakfast show {FULL STOP}

I've yet to hear anyone say anything positive about this woman, seems to be a very, very unpleasant person with zero talent for radio work.
    NC is simply a self-regarding creep. What a dumb decision to hire her. It's good to have a choice on breakfast radio, but I haven't listened to 30 seconds of the Breakfast Show since Casey took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I don't think Chris is a nationwide radio prospect. I like him as a person, you can tell he's a nice guy, but his style and approach hasn't evolved from his days on Griffith College radio.

I can't take him seriously, he sounds like a student..

I don't think Chris is a nationwide radio prospect. I like him as a person, you can tell he's a nice guy, but his style and approach hasn't evolved from his days on Griffith College radio.

I can't take him seriously, he sounds like a student..

Prospect? Sure he's a permanent fixture at this stage.

He HAS to have pictures of Denis O'Brien. There is no other explanation for his continuning presence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this clown from donegal is back on talking about the weather. got very high pitched when talking about 'so called scientists'
    i'd say if he was on with evelyn cusack or someone else from the met office, only dogs would be able to hear him.

factual stuff in news programs please newstalk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

this clown from donegal is back on talking about the weather. got very high pitched when talking about 'so called scientists'
    i'd say if he was on with evelyn cusack or someone else from the met office, only dogs would be able to hear him.

factual stuff in news programs please newstalk!!

Did they actually have him on the Lunchtime news show? Not good at all, I'd expect that type of fluffy balderdash to be featured only on the likes of Tom Dunne or Moncrieff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Did they actually have him on the Lunchtime news show? Not good at all, I'd expect that type of fluffy balderdash to be featured only on the likes of Tom Dunne or Moncrieff.

Apparently he saw two squirrels simultaneously taking a dump next to a willow tree and this is a sign that Ireland is in for a particularly harsh winter.

Self proclaimed "election junkie" Chris this morning talking about "the college of electorate"

Obviously the producers felt they could get away with Chris reading his supposed thoughts (all copied and pasted from CNN/ Fox) on things like the impact of a high Florida turn out. Way better than paying someone who actually knows what they are talking about to come on and be interviewed. Pure tabloid radio.

Why is Tom Dunne invited in for three minutes of amiable rambling 15 minutes before his show begins? I refuse to believe its because he needs to preview its contents. More time filling!

Why is Tom Dunne invited in for three minutes of amiable rambling 15 minutes before his show begins? I refuse to believe its because he needs to preview its contents. More time filling!

It's just forward selling.

Lunchtime do it at 11:35 on TD's show too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

5live do it all the time, much longer than 3 minutes though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭Maryanne40

Have to say that Norah is growing on me a little. Warmed to her when I saw her on a programme talking to Gay Byrne the other night. She has had the year from hell, losing her husband in horrible circumstances and it was very emotional listening to her. I can certainly understand her trying to keep as busy as possible in an effort to distract herself.

Norah Casey canvassing for another job this morning when James Reilly was on?

Also, the forced banter between them is even more cringeworthy than when Ivan was there...

Norah Casey canvassing for another job this morning when James Reilly was on?

Also, the forced banter between them is even more cringeworthy than when Ivan was there...

Why do Newstalk Breakfast always have either of those windbags Michael O'Regan or John Drennan on their Wednesday political panel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Because they like the sounds of their own voices? Drennan was a good print journalist who has become a parody of himself. Saw him on tv talking about public servants and for a journalist I would have expected him to at least check a few facts - pathetic

Btr wrote: »
    Because they like the sounds of their own voices? Drennan was a good print journalist who has become a parody of himself. Saw him on tv talking about public servants and for a journalist I would have expected him to at least check a few facts - pathetic

But there's so many incisive, informative pol corrs out there: Pat Leahy, Harry McGee, Fionan Sheehan. Most discussion programmes seem to mix it up with their commentators but it's always these two spoofers on the political panel...

UGH!

Twice this morning they've said the stupid line about Obama being Irish, they even played a clip of that guy in Moneygall giving his "perspective" on his "relative" getting re-elected.

FFS. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    UGH!

Twice this morning they've said the stupid line about Obama being Irish, they even played a clip of that guy in Moneygall giving his "perspective" on his "relative" getting re-elected.

FFS. :mad:

Lame alright.
    We are oddly insecure about our nationhood such that we cling like a limpet to anyone even remotely Irish.

Forgetting that Ryan & Biden are probably more Irish than Obama.

mentioning it over & over is just lazy journalism

Yes, it's pathetic. And "Henry the 8th" (Obama's 8th cousin :rolleyes:) is getting far too much airtime. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

But there's so many incisive, informative pol corrs out there: Pat Leahy, Harry McGee, Fionan Sheehan. Most discussion programmes seem to mix it up with their commentators but it's always these two spoofers on the political panel...

Fionan 'Fianna Fail' Sheehan.. informative?

fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-serious-e14739.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement