Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Drennan again this morning.:(

They're jesters. Funny guys whose witticisms are forgotten even before they're understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Anyone else having a problem finding and listening to the latest podcasts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Anyone know what Eamon Keane is up to these days?

He gets the odd subbing day at 4FM moderating the discussion between racists and conspiracy nuts on the lunchtime callin show.

I'd say he doesn't think Denis O'Brien was too bad to work for now...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

half the country was doing coke at the time

Of course we were. Also we all had property abroad, speed boats and butlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Bitch please - I had a butch-lerette :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The tech guy on George Hook just said the Nintendo Wii allows you to 'play with your body'.

*Beavis & Butthead style snigger*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Sean Moncrieff and his "ahh" "ehhh" before the start of every single sentence!!:eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Good Thursday interview today - Seb Coe. Makes a change from having to listen to George Hook blathering on with whichever of his buddies he shoehorns onto his show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

steve9859 wrote: »
    Good Thursday interview today - Seb Coe. Makes a change from having to listen to George Hook blathering on with whichever of his buddies he shoehorns onto his show
    Maybe, if he lets him talk that is. It's usually just Hook rambling on to a bewildered guest, who is wondering what the relevance of all the ****e Hook comes up with is to them being there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Did anyone else think that Hook was putting on an even posher and more affected accent last night when he was interviewing that obituaries writer for The Torygraph? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

GSF wrote: »
    Maybe, if he lets him talk that is. It's usually just Hook rambling on to a bewildered guest, who is wondering what the relevance of all the ****e Hook comes up with is to them being there.

I heard him interviewing Peter O'Toole's daughter last week and he seemed to be butting in with his own stories and experiences for every topic they broached. It was quite irritating, I'm sure she's a very interesting woman with a good story to tell but because of Hook's incessant interruptions I learnt very little about her from the interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I heard him interviewing Peter O'Toole's daughter last week and he seemed to be butting in with his own stories and experiences for every topic they broached. It was quite irritating, I'm sure she's a very interesting woman with a good story to tell but because of Hook's incessant interruptions I learnt very little about her from the interview.

She was audibly drained from listening to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

On their own add for the show Newstalk have George saying "I'm not a journalist ... I'm not interested in 'On the one hand, on the other hand' ... what you're going to get here are opinions" or words to that effect.

I'm astonished that the BAI let them get away with this crap. What about their obligation to be fair and balanced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

serfboard wrote: »
    On their own add for the show Newstalk have George saying "I'm not a journalist ... I'm not interested in 'On the one hand, on the other hand' ... what you're going to get here are opinions" or words to that effect.

I'm astonished that the BAI let them get away with this crap. What about their obligation to be fair and balanced?

Surely, no one takes him seriously tho'.

Re the Telegraph obituary interview, it was as plain as the snarl on his face that the only purpose of the piece was to ingratiate himself with the obit writer in the, no doubt forlorn hope, that he might be memorialised by him. Even mentioned it as an ambition at the end of the interview.

When out of his depth, George Hook is a truly ludicrous person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have to say I really enjoy the Friday evening conversation with Hook, Shane Coleman and Dave McIntyre... three very different people, who on their own are not hugely engaging but I enjoy the banter between them... They seem to capture the same "conversation at the pub" type feel that Off The Ball does so well.

Have to say I really enjoy the Friday evening conversation with Hook, Shane Coleman and Dave McIntyre... three very different people, who on their own are not hugely engaging but I enjoy the banter between them... They seem to capture the same "conversation at the pub" type feel that Off The Ball does so well.

Dave McIntyre is a clown, he's opinionated and often misinformed, a loudmouth bereft of class and intellect, I despise everything he stands for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Have to agree with you. The Friday show is the only time I can bear to listen to the Right Hook. Far more relaxed and light than during the week.

I can't listen to the Friday Hook show at all. It reminds me too much of that Gerry Ryan radio sketch about the 3 fellas in the pub. Most of what they're saying is complete bollocks. Have to agree as well about what was said about McIntyre. He's the most annoying of the 3, and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭splendid101

I really enjoy the Friday Right Hook as well. Usually good chat and I find myself laughing along. I usually disagree with the three of them, but find the banter enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,659 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The friday Right Hook is like listening in on conversations from a home for the bewildered.

The friday Right Hook is like listening in on conversations from a home for the bewildered.

If any major news does break on a Friday, they just completely ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Jesus brendan howlin just had a nightmare of an interview on newstalk and it was by Nora cacey off all people !

He even resorted to basically calling het a shinner at one point and pulled out the ol " no cash in the ATM machines " line ! :D

Didn't know she had it in her .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Jesus brendan howlin just had a nightmare of an interview on newstalk and it was by Nora cacey off all people !

He even resorted to basically calling het a shinner at one point and pulled out the ol " no cash in the ATM machines " line ! :D

Didn't know she had it in her .

Howlin was indeed a bit rattled, but I thought Nora was a bit catty.

She was agressive for its own sake, there wasn't much substance behind what she was asking.

Hook doing his "I love Churchill" routine for the umpteenth time. He really is an insufferable bore :rolleyes:

Just listening to the rugger at the moment. God Dave Mcintyre tries hard I'll give him that, he sounds like a gay guy who's trying to pass himself off as straight. Simon Dick on the touchline offers nothing but biased opinion and cliches. Woody comes across as being both arrogant and insecure, he constantly has to bring down the British and talk up the Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Get Ken Early off the radio! :mad:

Just noticed on the lunchtime show, formerly of the Phantom 105.2 parish, Richie McCormack doing the sports!

Good to hear him back on the air.
    Phontom hasn't been the same since.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Absolute classic moment on the right hook there.

George is live from the English market in cork and was asking one of the butchers, "so, what's that, a pig's head?"

The butcher responds, "sure you know what it is, didn't you see one in the mirror this morning!" :D

Don't think George took it too well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

As much as i disagree with his religous views ,he really does stand up for us who work in the private sector

keep it up Marc

As much as i disagree with his religous views ,he really does stand up for us who work in the private sector

keep it up Marc

Oddly enough, as much as I tend to disagree with a lot of what he and his panel say, I find his to be one of the few CA shows I can listen to these days.

• Advertisement

Coleman's show is almost unique on Irish radio.

I just find it a tough listen.
    There are so many ads and his side-kick fellow that is always on doesn't add anything.

The only section of media that highlights the sham CP agreement tucked away at 10pm at night. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭jumpymunky

I find Coleman at Large is listenable for a little while until the crushingly inevitable moment where the presenter goes on a rambling rant about how something he almost invariably describes as 'liberal society' is the source of all our woes.

Without any attempt at analysis or explanation of what he means of course.

He reminds me a lot of those shock jocks you hear on AM stations in America - its like hes on a one man mission to save women and gays from themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Really entertaining Friday night conversation as usual... I think Tubridy could learn a lot from this show... People talking about their OWN lives and experiences, not about how much chocolate Willy Wonka factory makes in a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Newstalk rugby coverage of the Leinster match yesterday was running 5 seconds behind the live action - RTE when covering matches live do not have the same time delay.

Newstalk commentary is close to useless when you are at the match.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Newstalk rugby coverage of the Leinster match yesterday was running 5 seconds behind the live action - RTE when covering matches live do not have the same time delay.

Newstalk's commentary on the EPL has the same delay. Probably down to how it's distributed. Not a big issue really tbf.

The commentary itself is shocking though. :P

Considering Sky are close to 60 seconds being real time live because of the various uplinks and down links it is curious that radio transmitted over a terrestrial network would be behind Sky. Of course this assumes you were listening on FM?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Ah Christ lads, do you really need commentary when your at the match! How about soaking up the atmosphere!

Were not even paying for the Newstalk service, which to be honest is light years ahead of RTE in Soccer and Rugby coverage. With a station budget that is miniscule in comparison to RTEs!

Considering Sky are close to 60 seconds being real time live because of the various uplinks and down links it is curious that radio transmitted over a terrestrial network would be behind Sky. Of course this assumes you were listening on FM?

Don't Newstalk use the time delay so they can dump audio if needs be?

i.e, don't all their programmes run on about a minute delay?

(Heard this a while back, so not sure how true it is, but it might explain it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Ah Christ lads, do you really need commentary when your at the match!

Yes ! - Its great to have the commentary to get views on eg penalties and remember Newstalk actively ask listeners at the game to text or tweet - a 5 second delay (on FM) does not work. RTE commentary does not have a delay.

Sky Sports delay is minimal (watching on Sky not UPC) - not 60 seconds !

Would NTs delay be a result of the Mary Harney incident a few years ago ?

• Advertisement

Yes ! - Its great to have the commentary to get views on eg penalties and remember Newstalk actively ask listeners at the game to text or tweet - a 5 second delay (on FM) does not work. RTE commentary does not have a delay.

Sky Sports delay is minimal (watching on Sky not UPC) - not 60 seconds !

Would NTs delay be a result of the Mary Harney incident a few years ago ?

Any chance you could link some info on that incident?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

They're using the Michael Graham slot at the moment on George Hook to talk about the school shooting in Connecticut. The usual over-exaggerated "Loony Left", "Euroweenies" and Hook taking a false position to provoke Graham.

It's in very poor taste to discuss this incident in this way IMO.

They're using the Michael Graham slot at the moment on George Hook to talk about the school shooting in Connecticut. The usual over-exaggerated "Loony Left", "Euroweenies" and Hook taking a false position to provoke Graham.

I can't listen myself ATM

Hopefully it will demonstrate to the listener how nuts the situation there is and what any sensible policy towards guns faces in terms of opposition.

Well its the George Hook Show. What did you expect? Really???? If you dont want panto, dont go to the Gaiety at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Well its the George Hook Show. What did you expect? Really???? If you dont want panto, dont go to the Gaiety at Christmas.

I didn't expect this level of bad taste. It's one thing to have Graham giving his typical views about the welfare state or taxes or whatever, but to have him bellowing out the details of the massacre of children with his U2 theme tune in the background is just too much.

I didn't expect this level of bad taste. It's one thing to have Graham giving his typical views about the welfare state or taxes or whatever, but to have him bellowing out the details of the massacre of children with his U2 theme tune in the background is just too much.

That's true. didn't hear them tonight, but you'd expect a bit more respect when most of the kids aren't even buried yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Great "dere's more ta oireland dan dis" moment courtesy of Gwyn Prins on today's Right Hook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Great "dere's more ta oireland dan dis" moment courtesy of Gwyn Prins on today's Right Hook.

Explain this?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement