Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Koloman wrote: »
    Explain this?

He told an Irishman asks for directions joke replete with terrible stage Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Explain this?

the great Alan Partridge once uttered this

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oh god the Seoige woman is acting all festive at the moment, I'd love if her present from management was getting removed from the roster. Calm yourself down girl and act professional.

The 'Santa Interview' today. It was well meaning but was done very badly, my 7 year old cousin who was in the car with me questioned the existence of Santa after listening to it. Horribly written and laced with bad acting, also did anyone noticed the bigging up of Ireland propaganda, Santa thinks it's the best country in the world. FFS..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

The 'Santa Interview' today. It was well meaning but was done very badly, my 7 year old cousin who was in the car with me questioned the existence of Santa after listening to it. Horribly written and laced with bad acting, also did anyone noticed the bigging up of Ireland propaganda, Santa thinks it's the best country in the world. FFS..:rolleyes:

Santa being positive about Ireland? How dare he!

Maybe you're taking this a teeny weeny bit too seriously? What do you want Santa to say? "Merry Christmas kids... Did you know that Ireland is crap?"

• Advertisement

Santa being positive about Ireland? How dare he!

Maybe you're taking this a teeny weeny bit too seriously? What do you want Santa to say? "Merry Christmas kids... Did you know that Ireland is crap?"

Yeah you're right, I'm a bit too negative at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

A Northern European offering Irish people free gifts without asking to be paid back in the future and they still arent happy with what he delivers? Sure why wouldnt Santa love the Irish? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thank god we're finished with the whole Christmas period, I'm sick of the endless re-runs and 'best-of' pre-recorded muck on Newstalk.

For example, on New Years day they had a feature running around 5pm, voxpops from various people in the public eye about their highlights from 2012. It was fine once but I was hearing the same voices more than once, lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

George hook must have negotiated rte style holidays into his newstalk contract. Id say himself pat & joe have been lapping up the sun and sipping cocktails while debating the hardships of radio presenting in the caribean over xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

neris wrote: »
    George hook must have negotiated rte style holidays into his newstalk contract. Id say himself pat & joe have been lapping up the sun and sipping cocktails while debating the hardships of radio presenting in the caribean over xmas
    Pat Kenny was working in the days immediately after Christmas, 27th & 28th for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

neris wrote: »

If they don't work they don't get paid in Newstalk apparently.

kneemos wrote: »
    If they don't work they don't get paid in Newstalk apparently.

I'd say George has a special contract though. He is their main draw after all if you're to believe the JNLR figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That Dil wan and her Victim Village really annoy me... She's trying to blame that awful gang rape in India on a misogynistic culture in India... And then tries to align herself with that wonderful young 14 year Muslim girl who was shot by the Taliban.. Dil didnt have the courage to fight her case for change in Sri Lanka, so she sourced out the most liberal country in the world and moved there.. If she was the "civil rights crusader" that she purports to be, surely she would have stayed in Sri Lanka and tried to lead change there....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

jesus I can't stand Dil, Global Village me hole, it's such a narrow minded show. Is it just me or does she love having a pop at the Irish at any time she can to accuse us of racism and other such nasties?

She can't even read a feckin script without tripping up (almost as bad as Bobby Kerr), terrible show really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

jesus I can't stand Dil, Global Village me hole, it's such a narrow minded show. Is it just me or does she love having a pop at the Irish at any time she can to accuse us of racism and other such nasties?

She can't even read a feckin script without tripping up (almost as bad as Bobby Kerr), terrible show really.

Yeah it really is an awful show. She is obsessed with labels and difference which is ironic as it really doesn't help the whole idea of a global village if everyone is segregated into categories. She had a woman on the show she described as a "Trans Feminist Argeninte LGBTQ Writer Blogger Anarchist" and about five other things. I assume the listenership figures are poor as it is one of the Newstalk shows that on this thread is universally pilloried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Yeah it really is an awful show. She is obsessed with labels and difference which is ironic as it really doesn't help the whole idea of a global village if everyone is segregated into categories. She had a woman on the show she described as a "Trans Feminist Argeninte LGBTQ Writer Blogger Anarchist" and about five other things. I assume the listenership figures are poor as it is one of the Newstalk shows that on this thread is universally pilloried.

As i have said before i don't know how they get sponsorship as if i wanted to promote my company it would not be to an anti-Irish show like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I'm sick and tired of hearing politicians complaining about being "bullied" on Facebook and Twitter, Mary Mitchell O'Connor being the latest to give her tuppence worth on the Lunchtime programme.
    There's no obligation on these people to have Facebook or Twitter accounts. Most of them use their FB pages for propaganda purposes, attempting to take credit for things they have nothing to do with in the first place, yet the minute anybody attempts to legitimately question them on their policies they start crying foul over it. :mad:

I'm sick and tired of hearing politicians complaining about being "bullied" on Facebook and Twitter, Mary Mitchell O'Connor being the latest to give her tuppence worth on the Lunchtime programme.
    There's no obligation on these people to have Facebook or Twitter accounts. Most of them use their FB pages for propaganda purposes, attempting to take credit for things they have nothing to do with in the first place, yet the minute anybody attempts to legitimately question them on their policies they start crying foul over it. :mad:

Did you hear that cowboy from cork on the breakfast show saying facebook ect should contribute to money due to stuff being sent.

Apparently someone posted on his facebook page and he wasnt happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Calhoun wrote: »

Did you hear that cowboy from cork on the breakfast show saying facebook ect should contribute to money due to stuff being sent.

Apparently someone posted on his facebook page and he wasnt happy.
    Pardon?

Pardon?

I didn't hear the full story just a TD from cork was asking for social media to contribute money towards the legislation or something.

I would assume its something to do with the below link. Although extreme getting threats like that i dont like the direction the politicians of Ireland are taking this discussion.

http://corkindependent.com/20121220/news/tds-facebook-death-threat-S56475.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

New guy on tonight must be the fastest speaker on radio.So fast my brain couldn't process the words quick enough.

Much prefer the slow tones of Ken Early though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

ootbitb wrote: »
    New guy on tonight must be the fastest speaker on radio.So fast my brain couldn't process the words quick enough.

Much prefer the slow tones of Ken Early though.

That's the producer, Mark Horgan. He's OK, but I agree - Ken's a much better presenter than he is
    . Office politics I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

That's the producer, Mark Horgan. He's OK, but I agree - Ken's a much better presenter than he is
    . Office politics I suppose.

Though I am a fan of Ken, I don't think he can anchor a show.
    Much better used as a contributor.
    (If anyone remembers when Ken was asked to present the "Guardian Football Weekley" podcast..... It didnt go so well )

Mark is fine as a stand-in IMO.

(If anyone remembers when Ken was asked to present the "Guardian Football Weekley" podcast..... It didnt go so well )

That was a long time ago. He presented OTB for a couple days just under 2 months ago and he was absolutely fine - much better than Mark imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Can anyone tell me what the music is playing in the background of that Irish 'Whats On' ad on newstalk?
    Usualy comes on at 9.55am and 10.55am each day. Love the music, know the song but cant for the life of me remember who it is, was a big hit on Phantom last summer I think.

There is another track they use that is a bit more rocky, its not that one.

Thanks if anyone knows it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Mark Coleman's spluttering has gotten drastically worse lately. He can't get through a single sentence now (literally) without hacking his guts up. They just came back from a break, played the sig music and he welcomed the audience back with a huge throat splutter before he had even said a word. I quite like having a topical show to listen at night time but this has become un-listenable. Surely Doctor Bill who sits across from him every night could give him a bit of advice or write him a prescription, it's absolutely disgusting.

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Mark Coleman's spluttering has gotten drastically worse lately. He can't get through a single sentence now (literally) without hacking his guts up. They just came back from a break, played the sig music and he welcomed the audience back with a huge throat splutter before he had even said a word. I quite like having a topical show to listen at night time but this has become un-listenable. Surely Doctor Bill who sits across from him every night could give him a bit of advice or write him a prescription, it's absolutely disgusting.

Rant over.

I agree. It's absolutely ridiculous that someone with this problem has a radio show.No offence to him but surely certain standards should apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Rant over.

I heard him talking about this some time ago. He lived in Germany as a child and lived in very cold conditions. This contributed to health problems. So don't be too hard on him.

Rant over.

He has chronic bronchitis, for which there is no cure, so there's not a lot dr. Bill could do for him. Funnily enough when he explained why he coughs so much it stopped bothering me. I can't say the same about his rather right- winged world-view though, that still pisses me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

He has chronic bronchitis, for which there is no cure, so there's not a lot dr. Bill could do for him. Funnily enough when he explained why he coughs so much it stopped bothering me. I can't say the same about his rather right- winged world-view though, that still pisses me off.

I have to say, it's his views that make it a good show tbh.

I disagree with a lot of what he says, but I like hearing different perspectives on issues. I mean, he doesn't so much piss me off, as get me worked up about whatever subject he's talking about to the point where I'm nearly arguing with him.

I'll admit, at times he's not the easiest to listen to with the coughing, but I too have been able to put up with it more since finding out what was causing it, and to give him his dues, it was happening a lot less towards the end of last year IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I have to say, it's his views that make it a good show tbh.

I disagree with a lot of what he says, but I like hearing different perspectives on issues. I mean, he doesn't so much piss me off, as get me worked up about whatever subject he's talking about to the point where I'm nearly arguing with him.

I'll admit, at times he's not the easiest to listen to with the coughing, but I too have been able to put up with it more since finding out what was causing it, and to give him his dues, it was happening a lot less towards the end of last year IIRC.

Possibly because he really only splutters when people take him on.
    His guests recently have been more docile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

delaad wrote: »
    Possibly because he really only splutters when people take him on.
    His guests recently have been more docile.
    Perhaps they could flash images of peaceful lambs on the walls of the newstalk studio, which may act on a subliminal level.

Just a thought.

Heard what's her name on the morning show go off on a racist rant about not having enough Irish working in hotels and they were sending their money home and not helping the local economy,thought there was a law against this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Newstalk and internet radio don't seem to go together.

1 - the Newstalk app isn't in the app store anymore (neither is Today FM's).
    2 - when the app was there, it'd work less than 50% of the time. Trying to listen to podcats or playback on it was a no no.
    3 - recently I can't even get Newstalk to tune in on other apps i.e. TuneIn Radio and iTuner Radio.

WTF? Have they just given up the ghost on internet radio broadcasting?

I've resorted to podcasting various sections of shows, but it leaves me behind the up to date news curve.

Bah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

i have the newstalk app on android and it drops the station after 5 or 10 minutes. Cant get podcasts or playback on that.

They took themselves of the free to air and to sky tv services aswell. Was somthing about them having to pay rte to braodcast them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

connundrum wrote: »
    Newstalk and internet radio don't seem to go together.

What annoys me more is that I have all the RTE stations on the saorview, but no Newstalk. I only listen to Radio One and Newstalk, dont EVER listen to any of the other RTE stations.. I mean how come TV3 (private) is broadcast on Saorview but none of the private radio stations are?

What annoys me more is that I have all the RTE stations on the saorview, but no Newstalk. I only listen to Radio One and Newstalk, dont EVER listen to any of the other RTE stations.. I mean how come TV3 (private) is broadcast on Saorview but none of the private radio stations are?

It's on freeview if your interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mix_up

is it not nice to hear diversity of opinion in the media

conservative voices are rare as hens teeth in the irish media

Shane Lynch has made an enemy of Norah. Apparently he stated that he prefers the traditional marriage where the husband goes to work and the wife minds the children. He was called a neanderthal on national radio for his trouble. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Men who have opinions contrary to Norah's are not only rong, but neanderthals as well. Cos sexist stereotyping is AOK with Norah iwasanurseonceyouknow Casey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Who the hell gave Esther McCarthy a job as a movie critic? Beyond useless, she is.

DB21 wrote: »
    Who the hell gave Esther McCarthy a job as a movie critic? Beyond useless, she is.

Not the best,her breathless stop start type delivery is annoying.There's an Aussie won on sometimes who's great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

mix_up wrote: »
    conservative voices are rare as hens teeth in the irish media
    Not a regular listener to Newstalk then, are you? Norah Casey, Coleman, Bobby Kerr ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

DB21 wrote: »

Nice girl but doesnt seem to know much about movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Shane Lynch has made an enemy of Norah. Apparently he stated that he prefers the traditional marriage where the husband goes to work and the wife minds the children. He was called a neanderthal on national radio for his trouble. :D

i got a great laugh out of that.

theres an awfull lot of disappointed feminists out there that seemed to think that just cause they wanted to be strong empowered independant blah blah blah ... that apparently this was meant to also mean that men would want them.

:D

shock horror men want what theyve always wanted in a partner and no amount of PC nonsense will change that.

no wonder so many women in their 30s say they cant get a man.

theres an awfull lot of disappointed feminists out there that seemed to think that just cause they wanted to be strong empowered independant blah blah blah ... that apparently this was meant to also mean that men would want them.

shock horror men want what theyve always wanted in a partner and no amount of PC nonsense will change that.

Wasn't she married and has a kid? i believe her partner died did he not? I mean say what you want about her but she has balanced the work life thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

kneemos wrote: »
    Not the best,her breathless stop start type delivery is annoying.There's an Aussie won on sometimes who's great craic.

The Aussie girl should be on every week. Time to give Esther the boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Esther really needs to try judge a film objectively,rather than give her verdict based on if she liked it or not.Her main criticism of Les Mis seemed to be,of all things "There was too much singing".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Esther really needs to try judge a film objectively,rather than give her verdict based on if she liked it or not.Her main criticism of Les Mis seemed to be,of all things "There was too much singing".

And then her praise of the next film; "I liked it cause Ryan Gosling is in it" :rolleyes:

Serena (the Aussie) should be the permanent reviewer. She's far more competent at the job. There was a while when she was on pretty much every week towards the end of last year, and I enjoyed listening to the reviews again.

Their battle seems futile imo. They can fight all they want, but will humanity ever respect a broad over a male? My arse they will, big props to women furthering themselves but we know who's really in charge.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement