Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

NO it does NOT

Couldn't agree more. I only had Newstalk on because my normal station BBC R4 is hard to tune in at the moment - so from 3.30 was happy enough with Sean M on in the background while I worked - left the room and came back at 4.32 - nightmare! Couldn't get to the radio quickly enough and had to suffer a few seconds of those two neanderthals Hook and Graham. I'm still recovering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Couldn't agree more. I only had Newstalk on because my normal station BBC R4 is hard to tune in at the moment - so from 3.30 was happy enough with Sean M on in the background while I worked - left the room and came back at 4.32 - nightmare! Couldn't get to the radio quickly enough and had to suffer a few seconds of those two neanderthals Hook and Graham. I'm still recovering.
    Its worse than man flue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Here's the real tester...

Is it worse than Global Village?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

wnolan1992 wrote: »

Those two together Id say yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Up until this afternoon, I'd have said that nothing is worse than Global Village but I'd be having a rethink after today. The only good thing about it was Sean Moncrieff calling Michael Graham an a$$hole before signing off from his programme, and Graham actually hearing him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Does it get any worse than this? Two and a half hours of George Hook and Michael Graham talking shyte.
    Not really.

Having said that, my tuner was inadvertently set to NewsTalk this morning. When I switched on, I got Chris Donoghue twitter about about 'this morning's competition'. Are they still at that juvenile garbage?

At any rate, after instantaneously diving for the remote, that tots up to a grand total of one single second of the Breakfast Show I've heard this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Up until this afternoon, I'd have said that nothing is worse than Global Village but I'd be having a rethink after today. The only good thing about it was Sean Moncrieff calling Michael Graham an a$$hole before signing off from his programme, and Graham actually hearing him :D

Moncrief sails close to the edge sometimes what makes him a legend.

kneemos wrote: »
    Moncrief sails close to the edge sometimes what makes him a legend.

I agree with him 100% that Michael Graham is an a$$hole. Graham seemed genuinely surprised that somebody could say that live on national radio. So much for "The Land of the Free". They'd probably have their radio licence revoked if somebody said that on a radio station in the good ole U S of A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I miss Ivan Yates. Loved the banter between himself and Chris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

I agree with him 100% that Michael Graham is an a$$hole. Graham seemed genuinely surprised that somebody could say that live on national radio. So much for "The Land of the Free". They'd probably have their radio licence revoked if somebody said that on a radio station in the good ole U S of A.

"Next up George Hook and Micheal Graham CO...ARSEHOLE...UGH!:pac:

Loved Graham whinging that people resorted to calling him names because they were unable to debate the issues. Things is, Moncrieff would run rings around him if they ever got on air together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

"Next up George Hook and Micheal Graham CO...ARSEHOLE...UGH!:pac:

Loved Graham whinging that people resorted to calling him names because they were unable to debate the issues. Things is, Moncrieff would run rings around him if they ever got on air together.

i was giving some guy an injection yesterday at work when he said that. the tip of the needle was just about to break the skin and i started laughing. luckily no one noticed!
    it'd be like alex jones v piers morgan. as much as i don't like piers morgan, he would run rings around alex jones, it's just that the shouty one just gets louder and louder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hmm. How about getting the graham eejit on global village? :-D

Good enough for the lot of them, i'd say.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I'd buy a front-row ticket to see that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Of course he's not an idiot by any means, He's a very articulate and intelligent man. I myself differ in opinion to him on occasion but that's what debate is about. Never write off those who you disagree with, it could come back to haunt you.

Of course he's not an idiot by any means, He's a very articulate and intelligent man. I myself differ in opinion to him on occasion but that's what debate is about. Never write off those who you disagree with, it could come back to haunt you.

Some of the crap he was coming out with on Friday puts him firmly in the idiot category, for me anyway. The offensive idiot category at that.

"Being poor is down to live style choices."

"Unemployment is a result of lazyness."

"The poor are fat because they not as intelligent as the thin rich."

Hooks not up to debating with him, so he just gets away with spouting this ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Some of the crap he was coming out with on Friday puts him firmly in the idiot category, for me anyway. The offensive idiot category at that.

"Being poor is down to live style choices."

"Unemployment is a result of lazyness."

"The poor are fat because they not as intelligent as the thin rich."

Hooks not up to debating with him, so he just gets away with spouting this ****e.

I agree that Hook is not up to debating with him, we're talking about different intellectual fields. What Graham states is often informed and true, you see the truth hurts. Where I often disagree with him is in his solutions to the problems.

I have to say, I didn't hear much informed truth out of him last Friday. It would have been relatively straight forward to blow large holes in those statements of his posted above.

Most of Grahams causes and solutions to problems are incredibly simplistic and slightly childish,maybe it's what he is used to feeding his American audience,he can have moments of clarity and doses of common sense at times to give him some credit.I do think it's important to have different points of view on the station although a lot of Grahams are just too idiotic to be considered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyone listing to Newstalk, I'm getting drop outs every few second for a split second

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was wrecking my head so i switched to the app on my phone and its fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

Was driving & kept happening on car radio but home radio seems ok now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

President Michael D Higgins summed up Michael Graham perfectly in one single word.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FOxKnsT-XZg?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I was getting those drop outs on both NT and Today FM, so must be something to do with their transmitters or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

has to be the transmitters as i slapped on the mediaplayer on the computer after i couldnt take it anymore and it was grand

Could be the alien countdown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Has Tom Dunne fallen off the edge of the planet?

mike65 wrote: »
    Has Tom Dunne fallen off the edge of the planet?

On holiers,don't quote me on it but I think he's back tomorrow.Tried listening to Mary and Davenport but just couldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Good old Hooky had our favourite exert Liam Griffin on tonight.
    "So what's your connection to the Garda shooting, Liam?"
    "Well my father was a Garda so I have a good bit of insight..."

Oh for fcuk's sake, said I as I changed channels. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

George Hook technology slot sucks so bad.

They had three winners of pictures taken with iPhones, the second one is clearly a picture of a printed photograph.
    http://www.newstalk.ie/reader/47.301.346/2551/show_list/

Also someone texted in complaining they pay for 1mb broadband but only get 0.8mb on speedtest.net. The girl suggested to buy something that "boosts" the broadband by plugging it into the phone line. Mother of god. Who's more stupid, the texter or the girl suggesting snake oil "solution"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

They had three winners of pictures taken with iPhones, the second one is clearly a picture of a printed photograph.

Also someone texted in complaining they pay for 1mb broadband but only get 0.8mb on speedtest.net. The girl suggested to buy something that "boosts" the broadband by plugging it into the phone line. Mother of god. Who's more stupid, the texter or the girl suggesting snake oil "solution"?

I heard the suggestion alright. She started of with 'you can get something to help a slow connection'... I thought, fair enough.. Maybe she will suggest some type of caching proxy, may help slightly. No, a new wireless router to 'boost' the signal. Because that is the weak part in the setup. I enjoy listening to the technology spot for a laugh tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Just in case they take it down, here it is:
    238486.JPG

Weren't these photos all supposed to be taken with mobile phones?
    According to the EXIF data on that picture, this one was taken with a Fuji FinePix A350, which is a conventional point-and-shoot digital camera, in October 2006.

:confused::confused::confused:

Obviously it won because of the ghostly pair of lags behind yer man. Wooo scary.

Either that or it's the ceiling lights. Possibly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nora was on this morning extolling the virtue of the job bridge scheme and the fact it was being widened so that many more people can apply. She said she had made use of it her her business and it was great (well free labour usually is!).

I wonder is Nora working for nothing on Newstalk to gain experience? I mean she has no experience in broadcasting so a job bridge scheme would be perfect. Yes she only gets €50 more than she wold on the dole but sure isn't experience invaluable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knutsack

That Nora wan has one of the worst voices for radio I've ever heard.

Newstalk's Breakfast Show is bordering on the unlistenable with her on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Knutsack wrote: »
    That Nora wan has one of the worst voices for radio I've ever heard.

Newstalk's Breakfast Show is bordering on the unlistenable with her on it.

Nora is bad but please, Chris is the bigger problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Nora was on this morning extolling the virtue of the job bridge scheme and the fact it was being widened so that many more people can apply. She said she had made use of it her her business and it was great (well free labour usually is!).

I wonder is Nora working for nothing on Newstalk to gain experience? I mean she has no experience in broadcasting so a job bridge scheme would be perfect. Yes she only gets €50 more than she wold on the dole but sure isn't experience invaluable.
    That's the kind of "pro-business" crap put out by Newstalk that makes me turn it off. Herself, Bobby Kerr, Coleman - "private sector good, public sector bad" - simplistic rubbish put out by people who have no apparent talent as radio presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Imhof Tank wrote: »

In fairness Chris has worked his way up in the company and has been there for years, she just came in with no experience in anything broadcast related, terrible decision by NT.

serfboard wrote: »
    That's the kind of "pro-business" crap put out by Newstalk that makes me turn it off. Herself, Bobby Kerr, Coleman - "private sector good, public sector bad" - simplistic rubbish put out by people who have no apparent talent as radio presenters.

Toeing the line for their paymaster ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Chris is an excellent host. Not his fault they have paired him with a talentless partner.

Koloman wrote: »
    Chris is an excellent host. Not his fault they have paired him with a talentless partner.

Chris makes a good number two.Gone off Nora completely I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

The JNLR's (they're out Thursday yeah?) should be really interesting this time around... I've a feeling the Breakfast show is going to take a fairly sizable hit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

What's with all the support for Chris suddenly?

He has driven me away from NT Breakfast nearly completely these days but I happened to catch a bit of his classic tense mangling, never ending sentance stuff this morning. He is totally lacking in basic communication skills or consumation skills as Chris himself would probably say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Mother of god, that is a very harsh statement. If something is worse than global village it may come off the air, or is it that us thicko racist paddies dont know bad radio :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I was listening to the show when Chris was paired with other presenters. Since Casey though, I haven't listened to a minute.

Casey is a disaster. Chris is a decent wingman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

McDave wrote: »
    I was listening to the show when Chris was paired with other presenters. Since Casey though, I haven't listened to a minute.

Casey is a disaster. Chris is a decent wingman.
    Chris would be more suited to playing music on 2 fm. He just does not have the diction or the ability to ask the questions needed when necessary on a breakfast show.

And when he does ask a question, he twists turns and mangles the question so much its hard to know what he's getting at!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Talk to the hand

serfboard wrote: »

You got any evidence to back up that assertation?

HA! good one!

which part do you need evidence for?

that's it's pro-business, or that bobby kerr is shyte on the radio?

HA! good one!

which part do you need evidence for?

that's it's pro-business, or that bobby kerr is shyte on the radio?

He does host a business programme which is intended for business people I presume.

kneemos wrote: »
    He does host a business programme which is intended for business people I presume.

he is also extremely shyte. getting the guest to read out the headlines of the sunday papers like they're learning to read in primary school is terrible radio.

• Advertisement

Newstalk's CEO, Frank Cronin, vision for station when he took over...
    Cronin explained that he would like Newstalk to deliver a “private sector, pro-business viewpoint that respects dynamic people”, as distinct from what he calls “RTÉ’s public service perspective”.

http://www.radiowavesforum.com/rw/archive/index.php/t-17583.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement