Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bloody hell, can someone at newstalk sort out the signal problem. Its constantly dropping out every 3 to 4 seconds. Its unlistenable.

Mount Leinster area by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Whats the story with off the ball lately. I used to love the show but they are hard listening for the last while. Particularly on international soccer they just make me reach for the dial. Theres enough negative radio on economic matters without the same for sport. Is the 2fm sports show any good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kneemos wrote: »

Mount Leinster area by any chance?
    I'm in north Kerry.

I'm in north Kerry.

Don't know then,Mt. Leinster regularly fecks up the signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

The description of him as sounding like "a drunken vagrant who's wandered into a studio" is the best line I've read on boards.ie...

Bobby Kerr: "Earnest and Young"

Robdundalk wrote: »
    It looks like Newstalk is trying to bring back the death penalty...first Hook and now Coleman..

Ireland's leading Liberals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

delaad wrote: »
    Bobby Kerr: "Earnest and Young"

you'd think whoever was working when that trail was recorded would tell him he got it wrong!

on moncreiff v michael graham, moncreiff let nick griffin dig his own hole on tuesday, i'd imagine it would be more of the same with michael graham.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ugggh had to turn Nora off this morning, her begging and pleading for a rugby ticket is beyond annoying and embarrassing. Ivan used to do it but he was such a chancer it was funny, she probably wouldn't know a rugby ball if it hit her in the head. Might try listening to Morning Ireland because I really am finding it hard listen to Nora.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

pc7 wrote: »
    Ugggh had to turn Nora off this morning, her begging and pleading for a rugby ticket is beyond annoying and embarrassing. Ivan used to do it but he was such a chancer it was funny, she probably wouldn't know a rugby ball if it hit her in the head. Might try listening to Morning Ireland because I really am finding it hard listen to Nora.

Last week she confirmed she wouldn't be watching the Wales game... true diehard fan I'd say. Her rugby contribution that morning extended to the same "gag" about Brian O'Driscoll being a kept man due to Amy Huberman after the 7 & 8 o'clock news.

I've given out about Chris before and my he can still be annoying to listen to, but my Lord he is in a different league to Nora. I really do like the idea of an alternative current affairs show to Morning Ireland in the morning, but N.T really are making it difficult to listen at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Jonathan Healy can't get over the scouts in the USA being able to discrimnate against gay people, and how it wouldn't happen here. Didn't occur to him that our schools system is free to discrimnate, since it's exempt from equality legislation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Last week she confirmed she wouldn't be watching the Wales game... true diehard fan I'd say. Her rugby contribution that morning extended to the same "gag" about Brian O'Driscoll being a kept man due to Amy Huberman after the 7 & 8 o'clock news.

Did she start off by saying "I have to say, I have a bit of experience in this matter...." :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Heroditas wrote: »
    Did she start off by saying "I have to say, I have a bit of experience in this matter...." :rolleyes:

"I was a nurse and I have to say, I have a bit of experience in this matter...(insert derogatory comment about men)....waffle waffle waffle"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

"I was a nurse and I have to say, I have a bit of experience in this matter...(insert derogatory comment about men)....waffle waffle waffle"

"I have to say..." I cringe now every time I hear her say it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Jonathan Healy can't get over the scouts in the USA being able to discrimnate against gay people, and how it wouldn't happen here. Didn't occur to him that our schools system is free to discrimnate, since it's exempt from equality legislation.

TBH the clare daly thing gobsmacked me more.

instead of asking why she seems to have been targeted for a smear campaign by the gardai he spent the program bemoaning that she wasnt drunk enough when she was lifted !

mad stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

If the Evening Herald could walk and talk it would be called Jonathan Healy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

pc7 wrote: »

I'm gone back to MI. The whole set up feels much more professional and mature. The Breakfast show is starting to sound like a TY project.

i suppose on the plus side theres plenty of scope for the new boss in there to make their mark

theres bearly a show on the roster that couldnt do with some from of shake up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Couldn't have put it better myself.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I've found myself listening to Tom Dunne a lot lately. He's rapidly becoming my go-to show at that time because I've gotten sick of D'Arcy and Tubridy.

Is it me though, or is there a frightening lack of ad breaks during the show? Like, is it just my imagination or are NT having that much trouble selling ad time during his show...

The morning show on NT reminds me of a radio version of Sky News recently - little in-depth analysis and just repeating the same story every hour.
    Oh and a bit of personal ranting every so often dressed up as a well thought out critique.

• Advertisement

i ususally end up switching over to tom when pat starts playing the deliverance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i can't listen to him anymore. All he seems to do is dig for controversy by asking questions with a over pitched ending and almost every single time he gets set right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

I am no religious fanatic by any means, but hearing a supposedly serious news station reporting that the Pope had "stepped down from the top job", like a football manager, was a pathetic piece of journalism.

For them to employ a producer or editor who came up with that line for the news headlines is a sad reflection of the standards now prevailing at Noostalk.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    I am no religious fanatic by any means, but hearing a supposedly serious news station reporting that the Pope had "stepped down from the top job", like a football manager, was a pathetic piece of journalism.

For them to employ a producer or editor who came up with that line for the news headlines is a sad reflection of the standards now prevailing at Noostalk.

Seemingly, they were giving out last monday's forecast for most of the day!

The mid-afternoon windy conditions were expected to turn storm force by this early Tuesday morning!

If they're not certain what day it is, awareness of appropriate standards might be a bridge too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

I disagree. For non-Catholics it is just a job and he retired from it.

I was listening to the lunch time show yesterday and if anything it was far too much coverage of a specifically religious event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

They're going for the "yoof" market don't ya know? :rolleyes:

Enjoyed Tom Dunne and Mary McEvoy discussing the pope's resignation earlier.

24280_10151735678002907_987897112_n.jpg

But now they're making pancakes on the radio... God I hate when people make/eat food on the radio. :mad:

Leftist wrote: »
    I disagree. For non-Catholics it is just a job and he retired from it.

I was listening to the lunch time show yesterday and if anything it was far too much coverage of a specifically religious event.

but in fairness he was the head of a state.

ive no interest in the story either but if the queen abdicated (which is an analogous situation) it'd get the same saturation coverage.

hell probably more considering our medias obsession with the royals.

at least the popes meant to be the spiritual leader of the 50% of the population that still goes to mass every week.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    But now they're making pancakes on the radio... God I hate when people make/eat food on the radio. :mad:
    People laugh when you tell them about a show called "Dinjo" that was on the radio in the 50s/60s and that featured Irish dancing. Dancing? On the radio?

To me it's the same with eating, drinking, gardening etc. etc.

Having said that, I do enjoy Sean Moncrieff's "Movies and Booze" slot.

serfboard wrote: »
    People laugh when you tell them about a show called "Dinjo" that was on the radio in the 50s/60s and that featured Irish dancing. Dancing? On the radio?

But aren't the pictures always better on the radio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Make sure ye check out Chris reading out the listeners' chat up lines on the podcast later. Sweet lord, talk about a case of 'dig up stupid'!

The text was something like, "I said to the girl, I only know of two things from wexford, travellers and strawberries, and you sure don't look like a traveller."

Or something along those lines, it was a pretty weird text to be fair.

Anyway, Chris proceeded to nervously laugh, probably realising it wasn't the most PC of texts to have read out and started to say something about how awful it would be before realising where he was and then doing an about turn and saying there's nothing wrong with looking like a traveller.

Something along those lines anyway, all very awkward, all very funny especially as shane suddenly went very quiet beside him. Needless to say Chris immediately reached for the emergency ad break button.

This is why I still listen to Newstalk Breakfast over Morning Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

i'm pretty sure ceili house is still going on radio 1 on saturday evenings.
    it still starts with the 2 drum beats before the music kicks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

What the hell happened this morning between the political fighting ending and Tom Dunne starting, it went something like this, add break for 5 minutes, back for 20 seconds to discuss crap, add break for another 2-3 mins, back to talk about Tom's show, add break for 5 mins, then the news.

Did they miss an add break or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Yeah heard this too, from 9.30 onwards they talked about Savita Halappanavar and the report the evening herald has today then asked Pat Rabbit and the other guy their opinions then the two of them kicked off about not having read the report and couldnt comment but had a shouting match about each others parties.

Couldnt hear either of them and little voice Chris was trying to say 'one at a time please, we cant hear either of you' but they wouldnt stop arguing, so the other guy (terrible stand in for terrible Nora) ended it and went to an ad break, then back, then ad break again then back to Tom then ad break then news all between 9.45 to 10.

Was pretty bad for NT and also kinda embarrassing for the two party reps in there having a shouting match about themselves and not focusing on the poor woman who died due to not getting an abortion in this 'christian' state.

Oh lord... the "Dr. Bill Sing-a-long" competition just after 11 made me laugh so hard. Excellent stuff.

"A bus leaves the depot with one passenger, makes ten stops where 22 people get on and 10 get off. Now, are you ready for the question?.... what number was the bus?" :pac:

Oh lord... the "Dr. Bill Sing-a-long" competition just after 11 made me laugh so hard. Excellent stuff.

"A bus leaves the depot with one passenger, makes ten stops where 22 people get on and 10 get off. Now, are you ready for the question?.... what number was the bus?" :pac:

Just heard Chris try to handbag gerry Adams in an interview.

Embarrassing stuff . Tried to be paxman and came off like bosco :D

It's a real weakness in the show now. They don't have anyone that can go in for the kill .

It's a real weakness in the show now. They don't have anyone that can go in for the kill .

Cringeworthy for sure.

kneemos wrote: »
    Cringeworthy for sure.

I came on here to say the same. Did he really think he would be the one to break Adams down about IRA membership? Laughable.

I can only presume Chris thought he did great 'sticking it' to Adams.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

It was embarassing listening to Chris this morning. He really is too lightweight for this type of show!

Someone pay off Ivan Yates debts and bring him back.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I came on here to say the same. Did he really think he would be the one to break Adams down about IRA membership?
    In fairness lots of journalists have thought this and tried it and it hasn't worked.

After all, if the RUC couldn't break him in Castlereagh with their interrogation "techniques", then some journalist is hardly going to do any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

In fairness lots of journalists have thought this and tried it and it hasn't worked.

After all, if the RUC couldn't break him in Castlereagh with their interrogation "techniques", then some journalist is hardly going to do any better.

especially some third rate journalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

I only heard the bit as he said "to be fair you (Gerry) would wipe me off the floor in a debate" or to words of that effect.

I think he was sorry himself that he brought it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I nearly wrecked a laptop over you, spitting coffee all over the place i was laughing so much. Very very funny but so true, he just doesnt have what it takes to ask the hard questions.

Its like if he is talking about fluff he is generally ok but when it comes to the harder questions he is either really weak or he goes over the top with it. You can nearly feel the discomfort in the questions he asked.

On the other hand when Ivan was on the program, he understood the political system ect and normally did some research before he chatted with someone so he would ask questions in a sort of a joke way and built on it from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I miss Ivan - especially when he was taking the utter piss out of some politician, he always seemed to reserve some extra snarkiness for them :)

• Advertisement

When's Ivan's bankruptcy finished? Can't be too long left now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Heroditas wrote: »
    When's Ivan's bankruptcy finished? Can't be too long left now. :D

Is it only one year in the UK? If so he just has about a month to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

He's tried that sh1tehawking approach of repeating the same question over and over on numerous occasions to no effect. I reckon in his own head he thought he was going to get Gerry to have a 'you cant handle the truth'* moment and came off looking like a fool.

*for anyone who doesn't know what I'm on about*

Anyone hear Hooke this afternoon after the Kenny apology? Do you think he might be a FG/Kenny supporter? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Nora's (recent?) habit of constantly 'mmm'-ing and 'uhuh'-ing when they have someone on to update the latest business news or sports item or whatever is really annoying and very distracting, how she hasn't been pulled up on it by now is beyond me.

Anyone else in that situation (Chris for example) just keeps their mouth shut and lets the reporter get through the info, if they interject it's with a point or a question, not a constant backing track of 'mmm's :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement