Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

gerry adams put down was hilarious, chris you should tweet in the bath get a rubber duck and learn how to conduct an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

The interview Chris had with Gerry Adams was seriously embarrassing.

I felt a bit sorry for Chirs after the interview was over actually, I thought he was about to burst into tears. I'm sure Chris is trying his best but his interviewing technique in the Gerry Adams interview was juvenile and extremely cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone hear Hooke this afternoon after the Kenny apology? Do you think he might be a FG/Kenny supporter? :rolleyes:

At least he's upfront about his political allegiances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

Listened this morning for the first time in months and Chris's th problem made me switch off after two minutes. It ruins whatever he has to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Anyone hear Hooke this afternoon after the Kenny apology? Do you think he might be a FG/Kenny supporter? :rolleyes:

I thought he was fairly open about this FG support ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I thought he was fairly open about this FG support ?

No idea. Based on the other evening I would say yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Chris Donoghue pressing Joan Burton this morning about the Labour Party leadership...embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, I seem to recall it was mooted that he run for them in some European elections at some stage, and he has been a speaker at some of their get togethers and election campaign meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Yeah he's open about it. He's even spoken at FG functions in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, I seem to recall it was mooted that he run for them in some European elections at some stage, and he has been a speaker at some of their get togethers and election campaign meetings.

With DOB in charge you pretty much have to be a FG member to get in the door at newstalk. During the 2007 election they were more or less an off shoot of the FG press office. They had a 20-30 minute slot for some policy announcement each day on the Lunchtime show. Kenny himself was on at least once a week. Labour are a different matter though. They are fair game as we saw last night with Hook attacking Rabbitt. I'm surprised Gilmore hasn't asked Kenny to get Newstalk to back off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

touts wrote: »
    With DOB in charge you pretty much have to be a FG member to get in the door at newstalk. During the 2007 election they were more or less an off shoot of the FG press office. They had a 20-30 minute slot for some policy announcement each day on the Lunchtime show. Kenny himself was on at least once a week. Labour are a different matter though. They are fair game as we saw last night with Hook attacking Rabbitt. I'm surprised Gilmore hasn't asked Kenny to get Newstalk to back off.

They have to give equal time to each during an election.

kneemos wrote: »

And they did for the few weeks of the official campaign. For the few months leading up to it I remember day after day after day after day after day of my lunchbreak listening to some FG frontbencher discussing their new policy initiative on broadband, childcare, farm subsidies, pothole filling, IT training for the elderly, road infrastructure, energy efficenty, petrol prices, etc etc etc. You name it there was almost certainly a FG front bencher on with Eamon Keane talking about it those months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

kneemos wrote: »

I thought it was only RTE that was obliged to give equal time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

ootbitb wrote: »
    Chris Donoghue pressing Joan Burton this morning about the Labour Party leadership...embarrassing.

Chris seems to think asking the same question over and over again will result in a different answer..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Can someone please tell me what's wrong with Joe biden telling yanks to buy shotguns instead of automatics ?

Cause the media seems to have gone into full on arrogant bigot mode on the subject .
    Let's get one thing clear , the yanks are NOT going to give up their right to bear arms . No matter what the trinity/ucd set here think . So what's he MEANT to say to the gun nuts ?

I swear I could very easily hear healys Saudi Arabian equivalent slagging us off for campaigns trying to get people to drink pints instead of shots .

Sometimes I think our media wears its cultural ignorance with pride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Can someone please tell me what's wrong with Joe biden telling yanks to buy shotguns instead of automatics ?

Cause the media seems to have gone into full on arrogant bigot mode on the subject .
    Let's get one thing clear , the yanks are NOT going to give up their right to bear arms . No matter what the trinity/ucd set here think . So what's he MEANT to say to the gun nuts ?

I swear I could very easily hear healys Saudi Arabian equivalent slagging us off for campaigns trying to get people to drink pints instead of shots .

Sometimes I think our media wears its cultural ignorance with pride.

Couldn't agree more. As much as I believe guns shouldn't be in the hands of civilians (exception being hunting), Biden was merely trying to put the point forward "Alright, you want a gun for defence? OK, fair enough, buy a shotgun. You don't need a fully automatic assault rifle which can mow down 12 people in under a minute to defend your family."

exactly.

im not a mad gun supporter either but its clearly the american culture. the closest equivilant or parralel i can think of here in relation to trying to get yer man to tell his country men to swear of guns is having a local TD or minister trying to bring in prohibition.

im sure theres plenty of nuts in the media that'd LOVE that as its right up their agendas street.

but there no constituancy in the country that'd vote a guy in trying to take the pint of their hands.

PC or unPC its just WONT happen. thats just the real politic of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Anyone hear the Breakfast Show segment yesterday where Norah was talking to the widow?
    Sounds awful but I half expected her to say "I have to say, I have a bit of experience in this matter"
    Instead, we were treated to what sounded like a councilling session at times. Awkward radio and I'm still not sure what the whole point of the interview was.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Ger Gilroy = sesquipedalian, I had to look it up :cool: He drive's me mad putting in the big words, instead of just saying the sentance in it's quickest and simplest form!

• Advertisement

Eddie Hobbs on the lunchtime show today having a good old bash at the latest PS talks. Does anyone actually care what he thinks anymore?
    Actually, did anyone ever care what he thought?

Eddie Hobbs on the lunchtime show today having a good old bash at the latest PS talks. Does anyone actually care what he thinks anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Wonder can someone help me.

Looking for a segment that was on the Tom Dunne show or the Lunchtime shop about using LinkedIn the best possible way, the person talking had some very interesting things to day about it but cant remember if it was yesterday 28th feb or the day before that.

Did anyone hear it or remember what show it was on?

Thanks for any help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Wonder can someone help me.

Looking for a segment that was on the Tom Dunne show or the Lunchtime shop about using LinkedIn the best possible way, the person talking had some very interesting things to day about it but cant remember if it was yesterday 28th feb or the day before that.

Did anyone hear it or remember what show it was on?

Thanks for any help!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

More people with books to flog on Moncrieff. Do they just work their way through the Sunday Times Culture books section of a Monday morning trying to get hold of as many of the reviewed authors as they can?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sgall

statement today says that the off the ball team has resigned. Sad news to hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

sgall wrote: »
    statement today says that the off the ball team has resigned. Sad news to hear

Where they go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sgall

It will be interesting to hear how stand in presenters on OTB handle the opening of the show tonight.
    Presenter Eoin McDevitt, Ken Early, Ciaran Murphy, Simon Hick and Mark Horgan have resigned according to the station.
    A statement issued to TheScore.ie reads: ”Ger Gilroy, Newstalk Sports Editor, who devised Off the Ball in 2002, will be joined by mainstays of the Newstalk sports team – Cian Murtagh, David McIntyre and Joe Molloy – in taking over the running of the show, starting tonight.
    “Newstalk would like to thank Eoin, Simon, Ken, Ciaran and Mark for their contributions to the station and wish them luck in their future endeavours.”
    Station insiders claim the team disagreed with bosses about the future direction of the show, suggesting the OTB team were keen to move to an earlier slot.
    When Marconi House bosses decided a switch in the scheduling wasn’t feasible and other slots and ‘financial incentives’ were offered, the situation came to a head, they say.
    The team will make a statement soon.
    George Hook, speaking on air this evening, said he was sorry to see his colleagues go but insisted they were off to look for ‘fame and fortune elsewhere’. One RTE spokesperson told TheScore.ie that they do not speculate on programming.
    The incredibly-popular nightly sports show has been running for almost a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I personally preferred it when ger was doing off the ball before he moved to breakfast. It was a bit in jokey in recent years, taking time from actual sports coverage.

Logical destination is today fm - so we can have simultaneous evening sports shows on 3 stations, to go with 3 simultaneous drivetime news shows, 3 simultaneous Sunday morning chat shows, 3 simultaneous Saturday sports shows etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Can the world cope with MORE David McIntyre??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Hooky interviewing Dil from that racism / immiagration show.

Back to bbc for the time being.

• Advertisement

Hooky interviewing Dil from that immiagration show.

So its back to bbc for the time being.

C'mon George, I want news.... not D4 soap-boxing

Hooky interviewing Dil from that racism / immiagration show.

Back to bbc for the time being.

Only copped who it was as i was turning over to RTE 1 :D

even subconsciously i knew i wouldnt like the peice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hooky interviewing Dil from that immiagration show.

So its back to bbc for the time being.

C'mon George, I want news.... not D4 soap-boxing

Thank god I turned the radio off before the smug and anti Irish levels made the radio self destruct . Crazy old man talks to anti Irish witch , if I wanted to listen to her is turn on her program which is on Saturday night and not prime time for a good reason

Calhoun wrote: »
    Crazy old man talks to anti Irish witch

That's demeaning of people with mental illness, ageist, sexist AND intolerant of minority religions.

I'd say you'll feature in her next show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 SyntheticPaddy

anyone know why there was no business breakfast broadcast this morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Maybe the OTB lads want that slot as well!

It struck me that perhaps they were trying to make sure as many people as possible would hear extracts from the new OTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

"Transphobic Bullying" I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

don't forget the animal rights.

what about the black pekingese transgender dog that was put down for trying to ride an asexual cat? i hear the cat was a protestant too, with a mohawk. both were vegan.

did i get them all there?

what have the cybertronians ever done for us ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

touts wrote: »
    That's demeaning of people with mental illness, ageist, sexist AND intolerant of minority religions.

I'd say you'll feature in her next show.

Lol up on the show for breaking all the ism's :), the way i look at it is i would have a very liberal opinion and i'm open to having my opinion changed but i find on her program there is militant approach to this.

don't forget the animal rights.

what about the black pekingese transgender dog that was put down for trying to ride an asexual cat? i hear the cat was a protestant too, with a mohawk. both were vegan.

did i get them all there?

You left out Travellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Heroditas wrote: »
    You left out Travellers.

:mad::mad::mad:

ah bollox.

pavee point will be on to me about that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

George Hook in a desperate cry for attention has been tweeting saying Roy Keane should shut up because his opinion doesn't agree with the consensus and that he has no credibility. Where exactly does that leave Hooks credibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

GSF wrote: »
    Where exactly does that leave Hooks credibility?

Rong rong rong question - when exactly did hook have credibility? Admittedly he seems to be increasingly shrill in his opinions recently....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The breakfast shiw is plummeting to all new levels of s##t.

Since Yates left it is turning into a tabloid on the radio. Casey and Chris are just not able to hold down a serious breakfast show.

The producers need to do something fast!

The breakfast shiw is plummeting to all new levels of s##t.

Since Yates left it is turning into a tabloid on the radio. Casey and Chris are just not able to hold down a serious breakfast show.

The producers need to do something fast!

I tuned into FM104 this morning. JimJim Nugent offers as much gravitas but at least he's entertaining.

Oh Jesus MORE posh girls going on about women's day .

I'm off to the podcasts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Heroditas wrote: »

When he brought out 'You and Your Money' magazine i lost respect for him.
    . Mag could have been good but to me it looked ironic;making money to tell people how to save money.

• Advertisement

Is Hook's show today a version of The View / Loose Women for any particular reason?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement