Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

Is Hook's show today a version of The View / Loose Women for any particular reason?

Wimin's Day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

GSF wrote: »
    Wimin's Day?

aah... I see.

Hurrah for tokenism!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

The breakfast shiw is plummeting to all new levels of s##t.

Since Yates left it is turning into a tabloid on the radio. Casey and Chris are just not able to hold down a serious breakfast show.

The producers need to do something fast!

Fast? It's been a year! How could any serious station put a self-promoting conformist like Casey in an anchor role. AA Roadwatch is more her broadcasting speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

McDave wrote: »
    Fast? It's been a year! How could any serious station put a self-promoting conformist like Casey in an anchor role. AA Roadwatch is more her broadcasting speed.

Just curiously... what do people want out of the Breakfast show now? I never listen unless I have to these days but the general consensus is it's become a very "thrashy" these days. Does it need a new format or just presenters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

soc160 wrote: »
    Just curiously... what do people want out of the Breakfast show now? I never listen unless I have to these days but the general consensus is it's become a very "thrashy" these days. Does it need a new format or just presenters?

a new presenter, at least one. when ivan was there, he would explain anything political very clearly, and it felt like Chris was learning something from him. the very very few times that i've heard it since, it sounds like a schoolyard slagging match.
    even when ivan used to slag chris about living on his own with a load of cats watching coronation street was funny.

it's morning ireland or 5 live for me these days though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Nora's not up to it,slaggin Chris is the limit of her capabilities which is probably why she does it non stop.Chris is likeable enough and a tryer but needs a serious broadcaster for guidance and I think most would agree the slaggin Chris thing needs to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

My feeling on the morning show is that they are trying to be 'cool' and 'fun'. "Look at us we are a serious show but we are just like you and your mates, hey we really are your mates really". They are trying to be a serious show like RTE whilst trying to bring in the jokey "easy back & forth" repartie between the presenters like on the music shows.

They fail miserably. They are not fun, and they don't seem to have either the resources or the presenters to be able to do the serious either.

A recent ad for the show was about Irish and it ran something like this;

Casey "Here's a text, it says in Irish.....hey what did I just say?"
    Irish speaker "I'm sexy & I know it"
    Casey "Haha, gosh I'm great gas altogether, aren't I?"

They don't know what they are, and seem to get excited about the most trivial matters while glossing over major news stories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Leroy42 wrote: »
    My feeling on the morning show is that they are trying to be 'cool' and 'fun'. "Look at us we are a serious show but we are just like you and your mates, hey we really are your mates really". They are trying to be a serious show like RTE whilst trying to bring in the jokey "easy back & forth" repartie between the presenters like on the music shows.

They fail miserably. They are not fun, and they don't seem to have either the resources or the presenters to be able to do the serious either.

A recent ad for the show was about Irish and it ran something like this;

Casey "Here's a text, it says in Irish.....hey what did I just say?"
    Irish speaker "I'm sexy & I know it"
    Casey "Haha, gosh I'm great gas altogether, aren't I?"

They don't know what they are, and seem to get excited about the most trivial matters while glossing over major news stories

I heard the promo for "that sexy and I know it" thing, didn't know the full context though. Seemed a bit staged though even from that.

I'm undecided whether to bother listening to them. Should they just scrap the whole "banter" and friends thing and try for straight talking news and current affairs like lunchtime have? I listen to Lunchtime now and again and it seems to have a good balance.

As for what i have highlighted I think that is indicative of the whole station, the "it's not just news you know" tagline is confusing, it's like "Great, what are you then?" Moncrieff and Tom Dunne are obviously not news but then again Lunchtime and Hook are? So what are they!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,511 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I heard the promo for "that sexy and I know it" thing, didn't know the full context though. Seemed a bit staged though even from that.

I'm undecided whether to bother listening to them. Should they just scrap the whole "banter" and friends thing and try for straight talking news and current affairs like lunchtime have? I listen to Lunchtime now and again and it seems to have a good balance.

As for what i have highlighted I think that is indicative of the whole station, the "it's not just news you know" tagline is confusing, it's like "Great, what are you then?" Moncrieff and Tom Dunne are obviously not news but then again Lunchtime and Hook are? So what are they!
    Lunchtime is poor too - always looking for the ultra sensational angle, no matter what the topic. There's little to be positive about going on as it is without trying to make everything as negative as possible.

They need to get back to news, rather than opinion, at breakfast, lunchtime and drivetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chainsmoker

my main problem is that the presenters are too keen to give their opinions on the stories they report. The are suppose to report/present the news and bring in experts to comment on it. No offence to Chris but why would anyone care what he thinks about a particular news item.
    When Ivan gave his opinion on a political story it gave a unique insight because of his own political experience.

• Advertisement

My own take is that the station is chasing ratings at almost any cost, except the cost of hiring decent presenters.

Morning Ireland had become so pro-govt - and that meant pro-FF - when NewsTalk unleashed McWilliams and even Dunphy. NewsTalk had some kind of relative credibility. Now it seems to be populated by a clique from a certain social circle. A shoddy and amateur offering from people you would have no confidence in challenging vested interests and elites.

The sad thing is Morning Ireland is hardly much better, mainly as a result of Aine Lawlor's emoting and over-familiarity with the listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wonder does Jonathan Healy have the input levels on his mic turned down? So much shouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Anyone listening yesterday? when did they announce the change in station name from newstalk to restaurant association FM?

It honestly must have been a super slow day, as from breakfast all the way through to George they were talking about Oliver Dunne and his tweets about people not turning up to restaurant bookings.

I wouldnt mind if there was balance to it but it was just self indulgence of restaurant owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I think this Traveller poor mouth line doesnt cut it any more.. They are an absolute nuisance and cost the state a fortune.. Fair play to any TD who acknowledges the problem despite the backlash from the PC brigade in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think this Traveller poor mouth line doesnt cut it any more.. They are an absolute nuisance and cost the state a fortune.. Fair play to any TD who acknowledges the problem despite the backlash from the PC brigade in Dublin.

Plenty of racists in Dublin too you know, it's not just a rural problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

that sugar daddy section on Moncrief is depressing. I think Sean did a brilliant interview tho

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

I think he was a fuking disgrace.

Seans clearly out of touch if he thinks modern relationships are as cut and clear as he thinks .

The bloke can't even prove his own wife is with him for anything other than the paycheck he brings home & he's the nerve to lecture this guy ?

Gimme a break .

In fact turning off .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

that sugar daddy section on Moncrief is depressing. I think Sean did a brilliant interview tho

Indeed.
    I don't think the guy was expecting to be cut in half like that.
    Especially the way Sean ended the interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Indeed.
    I don't think the guy was expecting to be cut in half like that.
    Especially the way Sean ended the interview.

What happened? Was Moncrieff rude to the guy or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Great point.

'My unborn child is a racism victim".

Eh, how is that exactly? Did the person doing the ultrasound pass a remark or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Yea fair play, i agree 100%. There are too many do-gooders in this country afraid to give their honest opinions, and would rather sit on the fence. The TD was dead right to say what he believe's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

What happened? Was Moncrieff rude to the guy or something?

not at all, he came across like a spare prick. moncrieff just asked questions and let the guy dig his own hole.

Public authorities have been pursuing a line of social investigation, reconciliation and public subsidy for nigh on two decades. Despite a large degree of official support, Travellers are still in essence a culture of poverty and dependency. Even worse, they're attempting to redefine themselves on racial grounds in a nakedly transparent attempt to justify further expenditure on 'reverse discrimination'.

It's now time to pull the plug on mollycoddling economically inactive welfare dependents in this society of ours. And Travellers are as good a place as any to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Public authorities have been pursuing a line of social investigation, reconciliation and public subsidy for nigh on two decades. Despite a large degree of official support, Travellers are still in essence a culture of poverty and dependency. Even worse, they're attempting to redefine themselves on racial grounds in a nakedly transparent attempt to justify further expenditure on 'reverse discrimination'.

It's now time to pull the plug on mollycoddling economically inactive welfare dependents in this society of ours. And Travellers are as good a place as any to start.

So what is your opinion on Newstalk:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

To lighten the mood, I thought I'd bring everyone's attention to this:

That Bowman is impossible to listen to.the rate of words is spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Anyone finding that the reception on 107.4 in the Dundalk area has improved recently? Was generally poor bar on a car radio up to this. Signal comes from Mohercrome in Cavan I think. Have they upped the power I wonder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Anyone finding that the reception on 107.4 in the Dundalk area has improved recently? Was generally poor bar on a car radio up to this. Signal comes from Mohercrome in Cavan I think. Have they upped the power I wonder?
    DOB could afford to finally boost the signal when he got that money from the libel a few weeks back!

They must have took it from Mt Leinster,the reception has gotton weaker and you have to turn up the volume to hear it.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So what is your opinion on Newstalk:confused:
    Fair point!

Not very impressed generally. In slow, but almost irretrievable decline. Was well located to deliver an interesting, independent slant on Irish current affairs. Has unfortunately opted mostly for an infotainment approach.

NewsTalk is a massive lost opportunity for Irish broadcasting both for the dissemination of diverse, even iconoclastic views, and a counterweight to tiresome psuedo-PC conformism over at Montrose.

The only NewsTalk programme I listen to at all now is Shane Coleman on Sundays. The rest of the news/current affairs output is IMO dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NewsTalk is a massive lost opportunity for Irish broadcasting both for the dissemination of diverse, even iconoclastic views, and a counterweight to tiresome psuedo-PC conformism over at Montrose.

The only NewsTalk programme I listen to at all now is Shane Coleman on Sundays. The rest of the news/current affairs output is IMO dross.

We soon may not have them to kick around any more.

According to this tweet on NamaWineLake:
    Phoenix also suggests a sale of DOB's interest in Communicorp is on cards ahead of Denis taking (more) control over IN&M. Newstalk for sale?

For Newstalk for sale read Newstalk closes down I would say...

We soon may not have them to kick around any more.

According to this tweet on NamaWineLake:
    Phoenix also suggests a sale of DOB's interest in Communicorp is on cards ahead of Denis taking (more) control over IN&M. Newstalk for sale?

For Newstalk for sale read Newstalk closes down I would say...
    DOB certainly doesn't appear to be investing in journalists and presenters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Has Newstalk's payment schedule changed? are Freelance payments later than usual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Funny hearing them talk about Tiger Woods new girlfriend this morning. It for Norah there was a huge elephant in the room, the fact that she's hot!!

i hate to say it but ive gone off newstalk completlely now.

maybe theres some sort of managment/editorial thing going on. i mean its not like theres not radical stuff to talk about, the whole cyprus thing springs to mind, but even the luchtime show is losing it. i dont know whats happened to jonothan healy but its like a differnt bloke on the show now.

its a pity as ive had a great time with newstalk over the years since it was a wee dublin only station, but theres just no "edge" to it anymore. as mcdave posted its more infotainment now, and feck all info at that.

if dennis IS going for a full take over of INM then he is going to have to get shot of it.

maybe THAT will help the station if its new backer allows them the freedom they once had there.

but seeing as its never made a red cent in its life closure would look to be the more likely result.

• Advertisement

if dennis IS going for a full take over of INM then he is going to have to get shot of it.

maybe THAT will help the station if its new backer allows them the freedom they once had there.

but seeing as its never made a red cent in its life closure would look to be the more likely result.

Do we know this for certain? It seems kind of perverse of the Broadcasting Authority to safeguard diversity in media by forcing the closure of the only talk-based alternative to R1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Barry Kenny filling in for George Hook all this week.

Is he taking leave from his full time job in Irish Rail to do this?

Do we know this for certain? It seems kind of perverse of the Broadcasting Authority to safeguard diversity in media by forcing the closure of the only talk-based alternative to R1.

obrien owning INM privately would mean weve less diversification as it'd pretty much mean if your a journo/broadcaster youve two options.

dennis o brien or pat rabbite (the state)

as tothe likeliehood of this? its rumour mill stuff fueled by the state of INM and dennys level of intrest in it (both finacially AND share wise) and the hardballing he's playing with the 8 banks involved.

i dont think we can actually talk too much about it least we be accused of trying to mess about with its shareprice.

BUT.

if the stuff the sunday business post/sunday times has been saying turns out to be true then obrien will own too much of the irish media and despite having FG in his pocket (IMO of course ! :) ) he'll have to sell off something to satisify legislation that covers this.

that would put newstalk on the chopping block as today FM is too good to lose (and im not even sure he could keep that but at least its viable)

Skid X wrote: »
    Barry Kenny filling in for George Hook all this week.
    Is he really suitable? He is not a journalist for starters is he? But then, is Hook either?

jaysus i think "suitablility" went out the window when they replaced mark mortell with bobby kerr :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

GSF wrote: »
    Is he really suitable? He is not a journalist for starters is he? But then, is Hook either?

Strange choice, alright.

Hook probably lined him up on the basis that you don't get anyone in to cover you who might be a threat to your job.

obrien owning INM privately would mean weve less diversification as it'd pretty much mean if your a journo/broadcaster youve two options.

dennis o brien or pat rabbite (the state)

as tothe likeliehood of this? its rumour mill stuff fueled by the state of INM and dennys level of intrest in it (both finacially AND share wise) and the hardballing he's playing with the 8 banks involved.

i dont think we can actually talk too much about it least we be accused of trying to mess about with its shareprice.

BUT.

if the stuff the sunday business post/sunday times has been saying turns out to be true then obrien will own too much of the irish media and despite having FG in his pocket (IMO of course ! :) ) he'll have to sell off something to satisify legislation that covers this.

that would put newstalk on the chopping block as today FM is too good to lose (and im not even sure he could keep that but at least its viable)

Well it seems DOB will soon have editorial control of INM's papers one way or another. (I wonder if the recent wall to wall Michael Lowry coverage in the Sindo has brought that day closer but sin sceal eile).

So if you force him to close/sell Newstalk, technically you will reduce the proportion of the media he controls, but that would only be because there's less media all-round. I can't see how anyone who genuinely cares about journalism could applaud the loss of Newstalk, even if they object to its editorial line.

I can't see how anyone who genuinely cares about journalism could applaud the loss of Newstalk, even if they object to its editorial line.
    No Newstalk would just make RTE even lazier and more complacent

well he's calling the shots there as it is right now.

just look what happend to sam smyth in TodayFM and the studious ignoring of it by the NUJ and near everyone in the Indo/Sindo .

fionnan sheehan went nuts on Vinnyb when he broached the subject with him and recently there was a big bru ha ha about editorial protocols in relation to reporting on lads like dennis after he won his defamination case.

the reality at INM is dennis o brien and demot desmond control the company as together they hold more than 50% of the voting stock that ever bothers to turn up at an AGM.

Next time you hear a story about INM conscrening "shareholders" , think that to get a feel on whats really going on :D

To be brutally honest though newstalk should be able to stand on its own twofeet. we dont owe them a job and if they cant cut it the national liscence should be given to someone who can.

thems the breaks in the private sector.

as to the state of journalism, we dont really DO that in this country. not when it matters, thats why ya had to look to every agency outside the state to learn the IMF were coming in.

so newstalk in its present state would be no loss really as we already got a pro gov media outlet in RTE.

well he's calling the shots there as it is right now.

just look what happend to sam smyth in TodayFM and the studious ignoring of it by the NUJ and near everyone in the Indo/Sindo .

fionnan sheehan went nuts on Vinnyb when he broached the subject with him and recently there was a big bru ha ha about editorial protocols in relation to reporting on lads like dennis after he won his defamination case.

the reality at INM is dennis o brien and demot desmond control the company as together they hold more than 50% of the voting stock that ever bothers to turn up at an AGM.

Next time you hear a story about INM conscrening "shareholders" , think that to get a feel on whats really going on :D

To be brutally honest though newstalk should be able to stand on its own twofeet. we dont owe them a job and if they cant cut it the national liscence should be given to someone who can.

thems the breaks in the private sector.

as to the state of journalism, we dont really DO that in this country. not when it matters, thats why ya had to look to every agency outside the state to learn the IMF were coming in.

so newstalk in its present state would be no loss really as we already got a pro gov media outlet in RTE.

I don't believe O'Brien will have control over the Sindo until Anne Harris is ejected from the editor's chair. Although the tirade of DOB-bashing by the likes of McDowell that she presided over when she took over has subsided, IMO all the Lowry phone call stuff of the last few weeks has been a proxy attack on O'Brien and Fine Gael. Not that this matters because he will be running the show soon enough but I like to be accurate.:p

Re NT, political bias is irrelevant to most off the stuff I like i.e. sports, Moncrieff, History Show, Green Room. Even though a lot of it is pretty tinpot, I still have it one for large chunks of the day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

i hate to say it but ive gone off newstalk completlely now.

maybe theres some sort of managment/editorial thing going on. i mean its not like theres not radical stuff to talk about, the whole cyprus thing springs to mind, but even the luchtime show is losing it. i dont know whats happened to jonothan healy but its like a differnt bloke on the show now.

I think it has something to do with this quote from a Newstalk "source" in the aftermath of the OTB resignations.
    The station also had brand research carried out recently, which showed "there was a real male perception with the station. It was Sky News and Talksport, we were trying to lighten the brand and make it more female friendly".

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/door-still-open-for-off-the-ball-presenters-despite-mass-walkout-29108504.html

Well jaysus that explains alot.

god preserve us from morkeet resurch :D

guess if newstalks dont want me as a listener (as im a bloke who liked it as it was) i should just take the hint

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 moon_man

Fair point!

Not very impressed generally. In slow, but almost irretrievable decline. Was well located to deliver an interesting, independent slant on Irish current affairs. Has unfortunately opted mostly for an infotainment approach.

jonathan healey is more pc and conformist than any RTE champagne socilist

obviously sees himself working over at montrose someday

insufferable handringing populist bandwagon jumper

as for shane coleman , while better than healy , coleman is an ultra reliable establishment hack , marc coleman , now their is someone who is unafraid to stray from the dominant media narrative

well shanes bro in law was an ex FF gov minister !

amazing when you scratch the surface just how embedded our media set is with the political.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 moon_man

well shanes bro in law was an ex FF gov minister !

amazing when you scratch the surface just how embedded our media set is with the political.

i thought it was common knowledge that shane coleman was a strong FF man

not why i dislike him btw

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement