Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Healy is on his high horse about so-called "cheap" alcohol in supermarkets again. I'm beginning to wonder if he's the chairman of the Pioneer Association :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭serfboard

amazing when you scratch the surface just how embedded our media set is with the political.
    Not amazing at all. You find this kind of embedding in lots of big countries, so it's unsurprising to me that you'd find it in a small country like Ireland - we're all probably no more than three degrees of separation from each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 moon_man

Healy is on his high horse about so-called "cheap" alcohol in supermarkets again. I'm beginning to wonder if he's the chairman of the Pioneer Association :rolleyes:

a nany stater of the highest order , completley took the guards side even when it was discovered that clare daly was a mile under the limit , pontificated about how you shouldnt even drive with a thimble full of alcohol

always has his nose up the public sectors ar*e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

i can't be bothered with newstalk anymore. Mostly because of healy. I tended to turn to radio around lunch time and he really is unbearable. I just give up on it. Shame because i really enjoy Moncrief.

healy is an embarrasment. Such a shucks shure isn't it shocking clown, always running head first into questions and coming out looking like a child that's been put in it's place.

Those two idiots in the morning, the young lad and the woman, they are unbearable. The whole thing has gone a bit tabloid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

well shanes bro in law was an ex FF gov minister !
    :

Do you have the same political beliefs as your in-laws?
    I know that I don't... I don't even share them with my blood relatives.

Leftist wrote: »
    i can't be bothered with newstalk anymore. Mostly because of healy. I tended to turn to radio around lunch time and he really is unbearable. I just give up on it. Shame because i really enjoy Moncrief.

healy is an embarrasment. Such a shucks shure isn't it shocking clown, always running head first into questions and coming out looking like a child that's been put in it's place.

Newstalk Lunchtime hasn't been the same since they got rid of Eamon Keane. He was probably too left wing for Denis O'Brien. Far better for O'Brien to have the likes of Kiberd and Healy to perpetuate his right-wing agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eamon Keane was a spoofer and a shockingly bad radio presence. No time for him at all. His thick muddy Kerry accent sure didn't help this listener.

mike65 wrote: »
    Eamon Keane was a spoofer and a shockingly bad radio presence. No time for him at all. His thick muddy Kerry accent sure didn't help this listener.

At least he had a mind of his own, and he wasn't afraid to speak it. Kiberd and Healy are nothing more than bland mouthpieces for Denis O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

moon_man wrote: »
    jonathan healey is more pc and conformist than any RTE champagne socilist
    Far better for O'Brien to have the likes of Kiberd and Healy to perpetuate his right-wing agenda.

Always amused at how different posters can attribute, with total conviction, diametrically opposed political agendas to the same broadcaster/journalist/media group...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Always amused at how different posters can attribute, with total conviction, diametrically opposed political agendas to the same broadcaster/journalist/media group...

Shur Michael McMullen on Today FM is the most ardent Man United / Liverpool / Arsenal / Chelsea / ABU man on the radio on any given day. :P

Leftist wrote: »

Those two idiots in the morning, the young lad and the woman, they are unbearable. The whole thing has gone a bit tabloid.

damien kybird was an excellent lunchtime presenter

Newstalk Lunchtime hasn't been the same since they got rid of Eamon Keane. He was probably too left wing for Denis O'Brien. Far better for O'Brien to have the likes of Kiberd and Healy to perpetuate his right-wing agenda.

jonathan healy is left wing in a populist faux folksy way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

I liked both Keane and Kiberd.

Healy is nothing. An irritating zero.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The morning show seems to have turned into Heat magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

kneemos wrote: »

Heat magazine wrapping a steaming turd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Tom Dunne is so bland and boring. All he wants to do is talk about music, his fake interest in anything else is embarrassing to listen to. And that fake laugh is awful too.
    Why don't you just go home Tom and listen to your Bell X1 cd's.
    And as for that Saturday morning show he does with Hook, where they both slap each other on the back and tell tales of bygone times, is so cringey and so bad, that I can't turn it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MJ23 wrote: »
    And as for that Saturday morning show he does with Hook, where they both slap each other on the back and tell tales of bygone times, is so cringey and so bad, that I can't turn it off.

And remember, everybody.... WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT!!!

"We may not have a cent to pay the rent
    But we're gonna make it, I know we will
    We may have to eat beans every day
    And if a job is hard to find
    And we have to stand in the welfare line
    I've got your love and you know you got mine
    So we're gonna make it, I know we will"

MJ23 wrote: »
    his fake interest in anything else is embarrassing to listen to. And that fake laugh is awful too.
    And that reflexive 'Reeeeeally' which is supposed to signify rapt interest. I'm remember Phil Jupitus saying in an interview he was over here so often he seemed to be doing more gigs in Ireland than the UK. 'Reeeeeally?' No not really Tom, a piece of hyperbole to underline a point...

Heroditas wrote: »
    And remember, everybody.... WE'RE GONNA MAKE IT!!!

"We may not have a cent to pay the rent
    We may have to eat beans every day
    And if a job is hard to find
    And we have to stand in the welfare line
    I've got your love and you know you got mine
    So we're gonna make it, I know we will"

Don't forget:

"It's Saturday morning!

"WAKIE-WAKEEEEE-HAH!"

Honestly, I don't mind the Saturday show, there are very few options at that time and it's one of the more interesting shows, but that bit at the start and the end really irritate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

kneemos wrote: »

i cant believe how far downhill its gone, when are the next JNLRs due out ?

if it succeds in bringing in more women and upping their audicence figures fair play to em but theyve LOST me and ive been listening since dunphy and mcwillams were knocking about.

and WTF has happend to the lunchtime shows intro music ? what twat thought that was good?

im already being put off by how lowbrow jonathans gone but an irritating intro every few minutes doesnt help at all.

right now im really pushed to name a show i cant miss anymore. in fact right now im counting the minutes till the news at one as theres absolutely feck all of interest on the lunchtime show.

doing a bit on TWITTER FFS !

on a day when the lab chair of the finance committee said he'd no prob robbing our cash.

jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

i cant believe how far downhill its gone, when are the next JNLRs due out ?

April 25th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

My god, Brendan Keenan is some bluffer.... "Yahoo and McAfee who do all sorts of wonderful stuff in the cloud".. Another Jim Power, who should have disappeared in shame when he realised everything he said was wrong..

I was thinking about how me and Newstalk have drifted apart. Once upon a time I was listening to NT for most of the day even if I didn't much like the host it was an alternative to the 'same old' on RTE Radio One but now NT is the 'same old' only with demonstrably worse talent behind the mic in nearly every slot.

Chris Donoghue/Nora Casey - unlistenable mix of repetitious "news lite" even the post 9 am slot is now quite useless.
    Tom Dunne - enough said. Unless he has one of his bank holiday music specials which are good, and that must tell me something.
    Lunchtime with Jonathan Healy - dunno what's gone wrong here. After Keane, Brendan O'Brien and Damien Kilberd (who I liked but never nailed down the slot permanently for some reason though I understand he was ill for a while) he seemed a breath of fresh air. Now he is on auto-pilot. Every item treated with the same tone and tenure.
    Moncreif - was the default listen as the very necessary alternative to Liveline, haven't bothered for a few years now bar 10 minutes here or there, every time he seems to be interviewing some high pitched part-nutter on the phone. Maybe I should give it another go. It was pretty good once.
    Hooky - never did listen to him that much being a Last Word man since its started for better or worse. I'll assume nothing has changed.

*sighs* I get the feeling that NT management really don't care that much about their own ship any more. Ticking over, marking time. I never got to hear its original Dublin only incarnation with McWilliams et al but most accounts it was well liked.

mike65 wrote: »
    Moncreif - was the default listen as the very necessary alternative to Liveline, haven't bothered for a few years now bar 10 minutes here or there, every time he seems to be interviewing some high pitched part-nutter on the phone. Maybe I should give it another go. It was pretty good once.

It's much the same as it ever was, I would say, which I suppose in itself gives it a slightly jaded feel. The history guy on Tuesdays is a must-listen for me though. Plus there's literally nothing else on radio or tv that time.

In general I agree with you about NT going downhill, but I still have it on for much of the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭GSF

They just dont seem to be able to get adequate replacements for those who leave for whatever reason.

GSF wrote: »
    They just dont seem to be able to get adequate replacements for those who leave for whatever reason.

"Clare Byrne/Conor Brophy, what prompted you to leave shoestring-budgeted radio station Newstalk for RTE?"

The decline seems to have been dramatic over the past year or so. I remember studying for the Leaving Cert(2009-2010), and I'd often be up until 4am with Newstalk in the background, enjoying the repeats of Breakfast, Lunchtime and Moncrief. Then at the weekends I'd listen to Dunphy, Talking History and the sports.

Then Dunphy left, Yates left, Moncrief has gone stale (bar certain features like movies and booze and the first half hour of the show where he's talking to a guest in studio) and now OTB gone as well. Bobby Kerr on Sundays followed by Shane Coleman, 'nuff said really. Science show is pretty poor, Movie show is awful.

Only show I regularly listen to now is Tom Dunne, because he's the only alternative to D'Arcy and Tubridy et-al.

Movies and Booze is starting to become stale. Same old stuff every week. It's either obscure overpriced beers that most of us have never heard of, or else it's alcoholic grape juice. They should try to broaden it a bit to include whiskeys and other spirits, as well as more popular lagers, ales and stouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Moncrief is terribly stale, and has been for a few years now.
    Three hours of book reviews/interviews with obscure book authors is far too much.
    It's a pity that the lunchtime news show was shortened because if Kiberd was still doing it, it would be well worth having on from 12 until 2.30 ... or even 2.

Hook just rants and does zero analysis. It's like they asked him to replicate his rugby caricature from RTÉ and apply it to his drivetime show, i.e. sensationalism for the sake of it. It's a pity because he used to be a good bit better at the beginning.

I actually think OTB was getting a bit stale and tedious with the lads. I certainly don't have an issue with Ger Gilroy doing it now because I think he's a superb sports presenter.

Breakfast - dire. It was dire with Gilroy and Byrne and improved with Byrne and Yates. It improved immeasurably when Byrne left but has crashed with the current offering.

Dare I say it .... I'd almost miss Orla "I'll be in the Gingerman tonight" Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,796 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Not sure I agree with the stale discussion, What exactly do expect? It is a news, current affairs and sports station. I think Moncrief is far from stale, he gets completely off the wall characters and topics most days.

Talking history is very good, an the sports show..I'm glad it has Ger back. Always liked OTB and they did a great coverage of even the more obscure sports by doing interviews with the Lady marathon runner for example.

No doubt the breakfast show is absolute pants. Listening to it yesterday with Coleman standing in for Donohue, it sounds like Casey feels she is now in charge. Her bias comes out in every story. I accept that in certain stories most presenters will have some bias, but as soon as she mentions anything she gets on her little horse and makes it her story. Can't believe she is a good business manager, never heard her ask a difficult question or even follow up when someone is clearly talking nonesense.

funnily enough for a station named Newstalk, I think the news part lets them down. It's the sports that they are good at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

After the OTB resignations the only thing that Newstalk has got going for itself is Moncrieff. I don't think the show has got stale, he changed the regular features relatively recently and I like the new ones.

Cutting edge stuff on NT at the moment. Yer man from Iarnrod Eireann (filling in for Hook) is currently having a panel discussion about their favourite biscuits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Cutting edge stuff on NT at the moment. Yer man from Iarnrod Eireann (filling in for Hook) is currently having a panel discussion about their favourite biscuits :rolleyes:

let me guess "Hob Nobs" ?

:D:D:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

After the OTB resignations the only thing that Newstalk has got going for itself is Moncrieff. I don't think the show has got stale, he changed the regular features relatively recently and I like the new ones.

Yeah, I agree, that interview with the fella who was talking about reviving people who were dead for a few hours was fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Disagree on Barry Kenny. He had an excellent interview yesterday with a holocaust survivor now living in Ireland since the 50s, he just let the man tell his story.

If Hook was doing that interview if would have been a mechanical question and answer session - with GH not even having the respect to listen to the answers properly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Disagree on Barry Kenny. He had an excellent interview yesterday with a holocaust survivor now living in Ireland since the 50s, he just let the man tell his story.

If Hook was doing that interview if would have been a mechanical question and answer session - with GH not even having the respect to listen to the answers properly.
    Could they not find some unemployed radio presenter to give a job to?

As opposed to some over paid public servant who afaik never had any experience of presenting radio!

Could they not find some unemployed radio presenter to give a job to?

As opposed to some over paid public servant who afaik never had any experience of presenting radio!

That's irrelevant. The point is that the public servant wasnt completely muck IMO, contrary to what some were saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭IRE60

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    He had an excellent interview yesterday with a holocaust survivo

Tomi Reichental is the gent. He's a class act

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Picking up Newstalk very well on 107.8 Mhz in the Murrisk and Westport area in Co Mayo. Always thought it was received here on 107.2 from Kiltimagh (can still be got from there). Has a new transmitter been added I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Big Bobby standing in for Hook next week

should be comedy gold

Listened to a bit of the breakfasty show this morning, with shane Coleman standing in for Chris. Vast improvement over the Chris and Norah show.

Though I'd say there's no love lost between Shane and Norah. She started on about how it took four guys to fix a pothole (presumably going on an efficiency rant), when Shane interposed to point out what those different guys' roles were and how they were all necessary. She was like "yes, well, I didn't know that..."

A few minutes later, Shane interjects over her intro to some piece with some breaking news about the Italian Knox retrial, and when it went back to her, she (incorrectly) said "that's the appeal, actually".

Listened to a bit of the breakfasty show this morning, with shane Coleman standing in for Chris. Vast improvement over the Chris and Norah show.

Though I'd say there's no love lost between Shane and Norah. She started on about how it took four guys to fix a pothole (presumably going on an efficiency rant), when Shane interposed to point out what those different guys' roles were and how they were all necessary. She was like "yes, well, I didn't know that..."

A few minutes later, Shane interjects over her intro to some piece with some breaking news about the Italian Knox retrial, and when it went back to her, she (incorrectly) said "that's the appeal, actually".

No surprise Shane is sore - she was essentially parachuted in to take the breakfast show gig away from him.

Having Chris gone for 2 weeks is such a relief.

Sadly he is back tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

The guy doing the lunchtime show this week should be put in the breakfast slot instead of Chris.

At least he can articulate a question!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I know theres a bit of love round these parts for Moncrief, and I'd often enjoy the show myself but....

I'm getting a bit tired of the "4.10 obviously pre-recorded interview with the author of a strangely titled book that no one will ever buy" slot.

Also on the breakfast show...i almost smashed the radio when i heard the TV preview slot the other day.

They drag some researcher in with her picks of the week...what does she pick? The Takeover

Starring our very own Norah....

If there was an award for shamelessness, they'd win it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Who's in for hook today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

It's Bobby Kerr all week :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Layinghen wrote: »
    It's Bobby Kerr all week :eek:

He's very poor.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement