Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

giftgrub wrote: »
    I know theres a bit of love round these parts for Moncrief, and I'd often enjoy the show myself but....

I'm getting a bit tired of the "4.10 obviously pre-recorded interview with the author of a strangely titled book that no one will ever buy" slot.

I genearlly turn off at 4 these days, they don't need that extra half hour really, in fact it's barely even half an hour, they finish at about 22 minutes past. Could have given it to Hook and taken half an hour off him etc and saved the whole OTB nonsense. Well maybe.

The interview about Libya was good though, really detailed and engaging, and the piece on the history of Easter and Passover was great too today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Tom McGurk just on there, what an astonishingly rude and ill mannered man who can't shut up for more than 5 seconds and never lets anyone else make a point without cutting across them or heckling them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

MYOB wrote: »
    He's very poor.

Captain of industry, dontcha know!

When did Norah really start to pollute the broadcasting waves? I remember her on Dragons Den but little else apart from when she was on the Frontline for the Fiscal Compact debate and launched into every soundbite while attempting to patronise those who were calling for a No vote.
    Since then, she's never bloody off the radio or TV.
    Was it some sort of reward for toeing the establishment line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

jordainius wrote: »
    Tom McGurk just on there, what an astonishingly rude and ill mannered man who can't shut up for more than 5 seconds and never lets anyone else make a point without cutting across them or heckling them...

Whether you agree or dont with what was said, cutting across someone and barely/not allowing the opposing view to be aired is bad mannered and annoying, so yeah it was bad.I also blame Bobby for allowing him to do so.Although if George was there, he might have left him whither on also as they are bosom buddys.The lady from the UK gave a nice little rub to Bobby by saying "thanks for remembering me" after we didnt hear from her while Tom ranted on;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

jimmyw wrote: »
    Whether you agree or dont with what was said, cutting across someone and barely/not allowing the opposing view to be aired is bad mannered and annoying, so yeah it was bad.I also blame Bobby for allowing him to do so.Although if George was there, he might have left him whither on also as they are bosom buddys.The lady from the UK gave a nice little rub to Bobby by saying "thanks for remembering me" after we didnt hear from her while Tom ranted on;).

McGurk is a blowhard bluffer of the highest order. He has an incredibly inflated idea of himself. I don't think though that Hook would allow him rant on. Despite working with him on rugby panels,I don't think Hook likes him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

Totally Kerr's fault...shouldn't have allowed McGurk to be so rude...you know what you get with him...very hard to listen to...on a bit too often these days....going on about how 'modern music' isn't art on the Saturday Sit In...no melody apparently...beatles and stones timeless etc blah blah blah..he's watched too many episodes of Grumpy Old Men on BBC2 but dropped the likeability factor to zero..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

How did this lunatic Hilary get on the show... Comparing spunout.ie to the Nazis... dear god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Kerr doesn't appear to think that intervening; or in another case, actually having two people with opposing views on to debate something are essential to the style of that show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Well ya heard it on newstalk first.

With half the workforce earning 16k a year as partimers and 80% earning less than 35k shane thinks your bog standard housewife can walk into a job on 40k .

In the worst recession in the history of the planet .

Jesus wept :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Blessed are the cheesemakers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Was anybody else listening to Johnathan Healy's stand in today? Very very poor. Her interview with Kevin Cullen from the Boston Globe was so bad, you just knew she was reading what was in front of her. I used to have Newstalk on most of the day but I fear we may be parting company soon.

turned off when it started to sound like i was listening to a broadcast from the trinity/ucd student union.

i mean mother of god theres pushing an agenda and theres propaganda. loaded doesnt even come close to that piece on gay marriage.

real "when did you stop beating your wife" stuff.

the issue of stand ins bugs me in the comercial sector. why the hell is everyone guarentted a good friday off? its not like jonathan and co are legging it to mass.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Tried to listen to a bit of Kerr yesterday but just had to turn off.
    It was just like listening to a male version of Norah. Even the interview with Alan Quinlan was dull, nothing to do with Alan.... just Bobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Listened to a good bit of NT today just because we were driving around, and the only thing worth listening to was Tom Dunne's "My Life in Music" with Pauline McGlynn, which was excellent.

Everything else was just bland meh-ness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Listened to a good bit of NT today just because we were driving around, and the only thing worth listening to was Tom Dunne's "My Life in Music" with Pauline McGlynn, which was excellent.

Everything else was just bland meh-ness.

I suspect they're trying to fill the two hours with the music but it's a good format I think it works well however there was just too much of it this morning the second hour seemed to be more music than chat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Bobby Kerr as a stand-in just sounds to be like an extension of his own show on Sunday morning to me.Not easy to listen to.

By the way Dave McIntyre was brave to be in a studio between two people from rival county's, i.e Blaas Waterford JP and boggers Kilkenny BK.....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Hooks programme did a piece on John McCririck, the racing pundit, the way they were talking I was certain he'd died.
    After five minutes a spokesman for Ladbrokes intervened to put him in present tense rather than past.

Poor bloke may be 72 but hardly deserves to be buried alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Did anyone hear Sean Moncrief's interview with Tom Clonan yesterday? It was an outrageous one sided attack on Alan Shatter. Talking the usual shyte about poor Garda etc. sleeping in their cars etc. Also some downright untruths.
    Also some nonsense about if Garda Donohoe had an Uzi he would still be alive today. Gardai have hijacked that mans death from the start in a cynical and disgusting way and they are still doing it.
    Totally one sided and when someone texted in afterwards with criticism of it Moncrief arrogantly dismissed it.
    I like Moncrief but with that interview he failed badly. Really went down in my estimation.
    It's at the start of Thursday's program if anyone is interested.

Why,o why do Newstalk repeat this murder mystery radio play every bank holiday Monday?

This must be the third replay.

• Advertisement

turned off the minute i heard the intro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

ootbitb wrote: »
    Why,o why do Newstalk repeat this murder mystery radio play every bank holiday Monday?

This must be the third replay.

And it wasn't that great the first time... :\

Seriously though, they surely have a bank full of those "Other Voices" documentaries or something they could dip into.

I'm just waiting for Tom Dunne's My Life in Music with Chris Donoghue, Norah Casey or Bobby Kerr as the guests.....it's all they are short of at this stage...

Robdundalk wrote: »
    I'm just waiting for Tom Dunne's My Life in Music with Chris Donoghue, Norah Casey or Bobby Kerr as the guests.....it's all they are short of at this stage...

Im waiting for Tom Dunnes life in music with Tom Dunne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

soc160 wrote: »
    Im waiting for Tom Dunnes life in music with Tom Dunne.

That would probably be better than most programmes I have heard recently on Newstalk.

Tom Dunne should never have left Today FM. He was decent on his music show and doing the odd week for Darcy, but his Newstalk daily show is very lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

What constituency is responsible for letting a bigot like Rónán Mullen into government?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Swan Curry wrote: »
    What constituency is responsible for letting a bigot like Rónán Mullen into government?

The NUI people made him their representative, twice. Any coincidence that St. Pats is part of the NUI ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Swan Curry wrote: »
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    The NUI people made him their representative, twice. Any coincidence that St. Pats is part of the NUI ?

as much as i don't like him, he's a counterweight to ivana bacik.

i wish the two of them would piss off though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

St. Patrick's Maynooth I presume you mean? As opposed to St. Pat's Drumcondra.

according to the news north korea had decided to tell america it wants to nuke it

expect coleman tonight to be fupping hysterical fun !

EDIT.

Aww. he's not on, sounds like mick clifford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

St pats(both of them) would be less than 10% of the nui electorate. UCD UCC NUIG and NUIM would be the main electorate. People may not agree with him but as far as senators go he regularly provides input and debates and is quite vocal compared to most senators and is an intelligent person

• Advertisement

according to the news north korea had decided to tell america it wants to nuke it

expect coleman tonight to be fupping hysterical fun !

EDIT.

Aww. he's not on, sounds like mick clifford.

A voice made for print journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Chris 80

Lads, I know I'm gonna be shot down. This being the thread that it is. But every thread seems to be an attack on some show. I'm stating the obvious, but if you think stuff is so awful, why do you listen? Are you not wasting countless hours of your life doing something you don't enjoy? Would you not prefer to be with friends or doing some sport etc? I love a lot of radio I hear in the country. I travel a lot, and I hear a lot of different stations. I like to hear how each county does something differently. And a lot of them do it quite well considering the resources they have. All I'm saying is. When you hear something that isn't 'awful' in your opinion, well then maybe give it a shout out.

P.S. Waiting to be attached for my positivity'. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Chris 80 wrote: »
    Lads, I know I'm gonna be shot down. This being the thread that it is. But every thread seems to be an attack on some show. I'm stating the obvious, but if you think stuff is so awful, why do you listen? Are you not wasting countless hours of your life doing something you don't enjoy? Would you not prefer to be with friends or doing some sport etc? I love a lot of radio I hear in the country. I travel a lot, and I hear a lot of different stations. I like to hear how each county does something differently. And a lot of them do it quite well considering the resources they have. All I'm saying is. When you hear something that isn't 'awful' in your opinion, well then maybe give it a shout out.

Shouldn't you be at home sleeping in preparation for your morning show. Insert winkey eye here

tim_simms wrote: »
    i thought liberals were in favour of difference of opinion

When did I say I didn't think he should be allowed voice his opinion?
    i dont usually like mullen but i thought he was very good today with sean moncrief , made some very good points and was in no way offensive

He implied that a same-sex marriage was not a suitable environment for raising a child.I find that offensive.A texter raised the very good point that his argument of protecting children was also used to oppose interdenominational and interracial marriage.His "good points" all came back to "Won't somebody think of the children?" due to his religiously-fuelled hatred of homosexuals and the idea that they would be treated equally.

I'm not going to respond to the "secret liberal media agenda" element of your post,as it's best to take that to Conspiracy Theories.

tim_simms wrote: »
    you labelled him a bigot , thats a pretty strong condemnation

It's a condemnation of what he said,but that's completely different from implying I don't think he should be allowed voice his opinion.Whether someone who doesn't think homosexuals deserve the same rights as heterosexuals should be allowed make policy regarding homosexuals is a different matter.
    im athiest yet im on the same page as mullen on this issue

And?That doesn't change the fact that the majority of the hatred towards homosexuals in Ireland stems from the Catholic Church's view on them.
    im opposed to the idea of same sex couples raising children , if you find that offensive , so beit , welcome to adulthood

It offends me as it's an unreasonable viewpoint that bigots such as Mullen feel is entirely acceptable to have.
    mullen put it well today when he said this whole gay marriage - adoption drive has developed the momentum of an express train , a more restrained and comprehensive dialogue is required where all views including those on the side of tradition get to put forward their views

The people on the side of "tradition" have had a social stranglehold on this island for too long.This issue has developed the momentum of an express train as many other countries have already allowed it and their children aren't turning into deviants or criminals or whatever you think will happen if they get exposed to too much "gayness".
    , right now all we have is shrieks and unconditional demands from self proclaimed tollerant progressives , the wellfare of children is what matters most , not kow towing to a bunch of self rightous power trippers on some high minded PC intelectual vanity project

You've transformed into a Daily Mail article here,so I'll just ignore this bit.

Chris 80 wrote: »

Most discussions just wind up in a slagging match and lots of misunderstanding before someone gets offended and then usually spouts something about a poster being a "racist, zenophobe, biggot," or someone mascarading as a presenter/producer talking the show up... then someone just leaves the discussion and the cycle continues until it's just one person arguing with them self. Circle of life really.

It's a bit much, Brendan Keenan saying that the Irish people are living in fantasy land... His own analysis of the banking system in September 2008 was more like fantasy, yet he's still on the radio giving analysis..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Tom Parlon on Lunchtime describing the building boom as the "madness". Remind us what you were doing when the madness was happening? Oh yeah, you were Minister of State at the Dept of Finance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Tom Parlon on Lunchtime describing the building boom as the "madness". Remind us what you were doing when the madness was happening? Oh yeah, you were Minister of State at the Dept of Finance :rolleyes:

Tom Parlon is the epitome of the sort of self-serving gombeen politicians who got us into this mess.

Tom Parlon is a hired gun.. He doesnt abide by any principles... head of the IFA, to FG PD politician, to head of the CIF.. If Al Q'aida were paying the right money then he'd become their CEO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Tom Parlon is a hired gun.. He doesnt abide by any principles... head of the IFA, to FG politician, to head of the CIF.. If Al Q'aida were paying the right money then he'd become their CEO.
    Only issue I'd take is to point out he was a PD Politician.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Christ ! how bad has the Hook Show got! just tuned in to rambling self obsessed talk****e...

and if he mentions his holiday in Sri Lanka again:rolleyes:

*switches over to the Last Word*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

ditto!
    It took 3 seconds to change over to Cooper.

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Christ ! how bad has the Hook Show got! just tuned in to rambling self obsessed talk****e...

and if he mentions his holiday in Sri Lanka again:rolleyes:

*switches over to the Last Word*

That's been going on for ages don't know who it appeals to or what the point of it is.

It's dreadful radio...at the level the Saturday Sit In was at in the days of Dear George and George's Travel Tips...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I turned off hook a couple of years ago.What are his numbers like these days..?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dub13 wrote: »
    I turned off hook a couple of years ago.What are his numbers like these days..?

I think he was up around the 120k mark at the last JNLR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

I think he was up around the 120k mark at the last JNLR.

Which is 130k more than I would have thought, such is the awfulness of the programme.

And to show that I'm not just a negative type, Cooper is far better.

serfboard wrote: »

Which is 130k more than I would have thought, such is the awfulness of the programme.

And to show that I'm not just a negative type, Cooper is far better.

He can do good interviews in fairness to him but let off on his own it invariably turns into a rant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I was one of Hooks biggest fans. But in the last 2-3 months, the standard of the show has plummeted. Cannot put my finger on exactly what has gone wrong, but I just cannot find any interest in his show lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement