Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I think the editorial on Hook has changed in the last 6/9 months. The ranty bit a the start of the show where he 'opinionates' (blusters) about x,y or z typifies this. I suspect they are trying to make him a bit more 'shock-jock' while simultaneously reducing the quality of research that goes into the shows. Pretty much a dumbing down of the whole show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

I suspect they are trying to make him a bit more 'shock-jock' while simultaneously reducing the quality of research that goes into the shows.
    AKA ill-informed ranting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I think the editorial on Hook has changed in the last 6/9 months. The ranty bit a the start of the show where he 'opinionates' (blusters) about x,y or z typifies this. I suspect they are trying to make him a bit more 'shock-jock' while simultaneously reducing the quality of research that goes into the shows. Pretty much a dumbing down of the whole show.

The breakfast show seems to be going through the same, there turning it into Hello magazine on the radio!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Tatler magazine, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Tatler magazine, surely?

Really cannot stand Norah Casey's constant pontificating on **** she really knows nothing about apart from reading the headline of a paper 5 seconds before

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

VinLieger wrote: »
    Really cannot stand Norah Casey's constant pontificating on **** she really knows nothing about apart from reading the headline of a paper 5 seconds before

I know what you mean - anyone catch Norah Casey & Newstalk this morning on Thatcher's death/Avon story? Norah of course had first hand experience of this as she worked in the UK in the 80's UK health service under Thatcher's government. Oh and she also has experience of the cosmetic industry via her magazine empire. All things to all women I find and it would be nice to have at least one subject that she doesn't have first hand knowledge of. I can't pick up a paper these days that doesn't contain her pic, be it The Takeover or the countless other programs she appears on. Maybe in the final episode of 'The Takeover' she takes over the airwaves fully........and as for Bobby Kerr last week.....I listened to a podcast of the movies slot with Bobby and Philip Molloy - incredible how many times he randomly interrupted Philip - I know Hook can do it sometimes but normally it has something to do with the topic on hand......must not listen, must turn dial......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

kevin myers is talking some bollox on lunchtime now.

favourable to be a fan of the soviet union??

he must be furiously tossing off over a photo of maggie now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

That's Hook's show jiggered, at the least!

Wonder what'll count as "matters of public controversy"?

http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/21088463/?view=Standard

BAI to 'prevent broadcasters from expressing own views'
    on 09/04/2013 12:34:34

News and Current affairs presenters are to be prevented from expressing their own views on matters of public controversy under new rules drawn up by the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland.

The new Code of Fairness, Objectivity, and Impartiality in News and Current Affairs will prohibit presenters from advocating a partisan position.

The Code will also oblige broadcasters to provide clear justification before engaging in secret filming or doorstepping of interviewees.

Radio and television stations must also put in place appropriate policies for handling contributions via social media.

The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland says the guidelines are designed to promote independent and impartial journalism, and its chairman Bob Collins denies the new rules are a form of censorship on presenters.

"Programmes which derive much of their character from the individual personality of the person who presents it is nothing new. They have been part of broadcasting for a long time but what this simply means is they can't turn their programme into a vehicle to advance their own particular hobby-horses.

"That's so the audience can be given significant respect to make their own decisions at the end of the day as opposed to having somebody else's views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Marc is going to have a field day. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

So the BAI doesn't trust the great unwashed to make up their own on controversial issues, or their ability to decide whether a presenters opinion is worth listening to or not:rolleyes:. Sounds like an organisation with way too much time on it's hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭blue4ever

That's Hook's show jiggered, at the least!

Wonder what'll count as "matters of public controversy"?

That's the kicker - the only vague parallel in the print media (shackled by some strange ones as well) was a recent liable case involving the Daily Mail and their coverage of the Haiti relief effort - jury deemed it wasn't in the 'public interest' -

so where public controversy stops and starts will, undoubtedly, end up in the golden arches.

Controversy is defined as: a discussion marked especially by the expression of opposing views.

So, if presenters aren't allowed have views (or opposing views more particularly) on a topic in the first place, it's not controversial............ :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

blue4ever wrote: »

So, if presenters aren't allowed have views (or opposing views more particularly) on a topic in the first place, it's not controversial............ :confused:

It's a relief that the ' I love Denis O'brien hour' is safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

robbe wrote: »
    I know what you mean - anyone catch Norah Casey & Newstalk this morning on Thatcher's death/Avon story? Norah of course had first hand experience of this as she worked in the UK in the 80's UK health service under Thatcher's government. Oh and she also has experience of the cosmetic industry via her magazine empire. All things to all women I find and it would be nice to have at least one subject that she doesn't have first hand knowledge of. I can't pick up a paper these days that doesn't contain her pic, be it The Takeover or the countless other programs she appears on. Maybe in the final episode of 'The Takeover' she takes over the airwaves fully........and as for Bobby Kerr last week.....I listened to a podcast of the movies slot with Bobby and Philip Molloy - incredible how many times he randomly interrupted Philip - I know Hook can do it sometimes but normally it has something to do with the topic on hand......must not listen, must turn dial......

Yesterday's breakfast show was pretty pathetic alright. The eulogising of Maggie was only matched by the impressive backtracking when a listener pulled them up on it and suddenly Norah was at the forefront of the protests against her in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Heroditas wrote: »
    Yesterday's breakfast show was pretty pathetic alright. The eulogising of Maggie was only matched by the impressive backtracking when a listener pulled them up on it and suddenly Norah was at the forefront of the protests against her in the 80s.
    And then today she was back to Dublin daring to say she had first hand experience of the awful tragedy that befell that poor young boy in Glendalough yesterday.

It is a dreadfully sad thing and would have been an awful situation for the other students and teachers there. However, Nora you were at work and were called by Blackrock College (she also got a mention of that fact in) to go to the school.........as were all of the other parents.
    You do not have first hand knowledge of the event!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

And then today she was back to Dublin daring to say she had first hand experience of the awful tragedy that befell that poor young boy in Glendalough yesterday.

It is a dreadfully sad thing and would have been an awful situation for the other students and teachers there. However, Nora you were at work and were called by Blackrock College (she also got a mention of that fact in) to go to the school.........as were all of the other parents.
    You do not have first hand knowledge of the event!!

She was also talking about her first hand knowledge of "The Ban" before somebody mentioned in was the GAA one they were talking about.
    Could someone fill me in on the details as I have switched over due to cringe factor.

She was also talking about her first hand knowledge of "The Ban" before somebody mentioned in was the GAA one they were talking about.
    Could someone fill me in on the details as I have switched over due to cringe factor.

I did hear that and i actually got the impression chris might have been setting her up on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭sleepyman

VinLieger wrote: »
    I did hear that and i actually got the impression chris might have been setting her up on it :)

When does Ivan's bankruptcy end?Bring him back as soon as possible

sleepyman wrote: »
    When does Ivan's bankruptcy end?Bring him back as soon as possible

Next 3 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Next 3 months.

Unfortunately for him it doesn't really end after a year.
    Mr Yates said: "I will be an economic zombie for a year. All my assets are forfeit and put in the hands of the court receiver. For a further two years after the initial year, the court takes all money I earn beyond reasonable living expenses.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/aib-tried-to-serve-a-summons-on-my-mother-80-as-she-left-mass-26893535.html

So he would have nothing to gain by coming back to Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If he even wanted to...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

It would be interesting to know how much would be deemed as "reasonable living expenses" in Yates case.

Would a former minister, successful businessman, and high profile figure be treated any differently than the type of people heard on Liveline yesterday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Lapin wrote: »
    It would be interesting to know how much would be deemed as "reasonable living expenses" in Yates case.

Would a former minister, successful businessman, and high profile figure be treated any differently than the type of people heard on Liveline yesterday ?

Of course they get treated differently............

http://www.thestar.ie/star/filan-needs-e250k-to-survive/

Seanie fitz can afford to go to brian o driscolls testimonial in London, which was 700 quid a ticket. He is supposed to be bankrupt. Seanie must have got the same dig out as he's mate bertie the liar ahern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

He could do it for the great good though!! i.e. ours:D

I used to be an avid listener but casey is just so full of **** i can barely stand it anymore

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Who's this fella on Lunchtime now going on about bridges in Dublin?

Never heard anyone straying off the point and going off on so many different tangents.

Its like he came on air with a pre-prepared script and decided he was going to stick with that regardless of what the questions are.

Who's this fella on Lunchtime now going on about bridges in Dublin?

Never heard anyone straying off the point and going off on so many different tangents.

Its like he came on air with a pre-prepared script and decided he was going to stick with that regardless of what the questions are.

tommy(?) graham from history ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Anyone else have a problem with the Newstalk radio app not pausing correctly?If I pause a podcast at 12:00 and play it again 15 seconds later,it will pick up at 12:15.The app is a mess in general,trying to download a podcast is ridiculously complicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Long OTT news report from Boston last night with Chris Donoughue as lone studio anchorman. I thought at first N.Korea had pressed a button. Just a couple of bombs at the marathon after all.

Nasty work but there are similar news stories every day worldwide. Perhaps it was a rehearsal for something bigger.

Will CD wake up in time for Breakfast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

In fairness to him he is not lacking in the work ethic department.

Boston Globe columnist on Lunchtime (Kevin Something) was really hard to listen to. He almost broke down at one point, which really hammered home (as if it needed furhter hammering) just how horrific the bombings were.

Johnathan Healy was hard to listen to for the wrong reasons though. "Boston is as Irish a city as any on this island." Eh, no Johnathan, it's not. For one, it's an American city, so that's one strike against it being as Irish as any city on this island...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Sligthly OT, but this need to 'Irish' every news story is really annoying. Yes, Boston has some historic links to Ireland, it also has historic links to lots of countries. Of course I accept that there will be an Irish angle with the Irish people taking part in the marathon etc, but this is a US story not ours, why do we constantly ask any US contributor to relate it back to Ireland.

In 9/11 we heard constantly about Irish american firemen etc. They are American, not Irish. They may have some link to Ireland but that is all. Isn'tit time we get over this need to have to be included in everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Very right wing station these days. Hook, Coleman, Casey, Donaghue - hardly men and women of the people are they?

Coleman and Casey in particular are economically v right wing, not surprisingly. Suck it up and stop complaining - ie Austerity...

Hook's not right-wing, he's a faux-righty.

Anyway, Newstalk are trying to wring every last drop of tragedy and Irishness out of the Boston bombing. They were interviewing a teacher of the sister of the boy who died.
    While what happened is terrible, why are we being treated to such forensic analysis and coverage of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Heroditas wrote: »
    Hook's not right-wing, he's a faux-righty.

Anyway, Newstalk are trying to wring every last drop of tragedy and Irishness out of the Boston bombing. They were interviewing a teacher of the sister of the boy who died.
    While what happened is terrible, why are we being treated to such forensic analysis and coverage of this?

Because he's hn New York and it's cheaper than paying guests.Cancer victims seem to be becoming a regular on the 9-10 slot if you miss your fix from RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

retarded politician on right now talking about banning hoodies.

i fuking kid you not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quite right too, wear a hat!

Earlier on NT there was something about the (anti)fashion of wearing your trousers at half mast. Hips were invented for a reason.

mike65 wrote: »
    Quite right too, wear a hat!

Earlier on NT there was something about the (anti)fashion of wearing your trousers at half mast. Hips were invented for a reason.

As were belts!

retarded politician on right now talking about banning hoodies.

i fuking kid you not.

Why they give idiots like this a mouthpiece is beyond me (apart from the whole 'Let's get someone with a crazy idea on so all the listeners text in to our 30c text line because they're so outraged' angle).

Johnathan: "Surely the vast majority of people that wear hoodies don't commit crimes?"
    Politician: "Yeah, I'd say 99.9% of them are fine."

[later]

Politician: "It may very well be unworkable, but we have to discuss it in order to protect the majority."

Eh... wouldn't the majority be those that wear hoodies and don't commit crimes? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Why they give idiots like this a mouthpiece is beyond me (apart from the whole 'Let's get someone with a crazy idea on so all the listeners text in to our 30c text line because they're so outraged' angle).

J:

You answered your own question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I used to listen to Newstalk from early morning until 10pm most days. Now the only two shows I listen to regularly are Moncrieff and Talking History. Even Moncrieff has become a bit stale though and they could probably repeat some of the interviews without listeners noticing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Cazale wrote: »
    Even Moncrieff has become a bit stale though and they could probably repeat some of the interviews without listeners noticing.

I'm pretty sure they do. I'm certain I've heard the same thing on two different days before and no reference at all to it being repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I find Newstalk a bit preachy some days...lunchtime was doing a thing on Ireland's drink culture a while back, I felt like i was being given out to.

I'm an adult, i shouldn't be made to feel guilty about having a drink just because some people lose the run of themselves after a skinful

particularly when the self same people get lamped out of their heads on a regular basis too.

the sheer hypocracy of the irish media when it comes to drink is mindboggling.

just got through streaming the sunday show.

it really is ridiculous the level of anti sinn fein bias that they have on display in newstalk. no matter how good they do in a poll its apparently the death knell for the party or a "ceiling" . in fact they seem to go out of their way at times to drag them into a discussion just to give them a kicking.

guess its what you can expect from FG fm . the only thing more predictable is shane talking up FF.

be funny as **** when they do better than they expect in some election or another down the road and they have to explain it though.

:D:D:D

there also now seems to be an incredibly high level of lecturing going on which TBH is turning me right off. i only got as far as the thatcher bit of the show before i turned off as i just couldnt stomach it anymore.

the bit on gay marriage for instance, not even an attempt to find a secular reason to be against it, anyone opposed to it is all down to the catholic church apparently and thats the end of the matter (well with a "the publics too stupid to know how to vote on this and must be led on it" bit of patrony thrown in for good measure)

more and more its feeling like a trinity/ucd love in where luvvies with a homogyised world view pat each other on the back.

almost like a student version of marions show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Jesus, I know Boston is a big story but will Lunchtime ever leave Kevin Cullen alone? He sounds wrecked, I actually feel sorry for the dude...

Newstalk needs to drop Bobby Kerr.

If he's who they're grooming to take over from George Hook, then there's absolutely no way I'll listen to it.

a) WTF is up with his voice? Why does he permanently sound like he needs a good cough and a hot cup of Lemsip :confused:

b) His opinions and delivery are bland, boring and inane. The day he had Michael Graham on a few weeks ago, Graham was losing patience at Bobby's pointless questions.

Please Newstalk, get a strong character on there like Hook :o

i had the misfortune to catch a few minutes of his show a couple of weeks ago on a sunday morning. he was interviewing fergal quinn. he wanted one or two word answers only to his questions. when he asked who he looked up to most, the answer was either watson or crick (who came up with the double helix structure of DNA). can't remember exactly which one, but fergal quinn wanted to tell him about when he meets up with him every so often when he visits ireland, but bobby just wanted to move on to the next question. arse of a presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

giftgrub wrote: »
    Jesus, I know Boston is a big story but will Lunchtime ever leave Kevin Cullen alone? He sounds wrecked, I actually feel sorry for the dude...

While accepting the nastiness of what happened in Boston I am a trifle tired with the whole Irishness thing. Kevin Cullen is a good journo, his blog is generally interesting. His emotion vis a vis what happened is understandable up to a point. However, the real sickener of the whole week is Hook's obsession with all thigs yank. Even down to having his breakfast in a "real american diner" ffs, he means a cheap caff.

When will we get it in to our heads we are what we are, a small, poor, badly managed country on the periphery of Europe, which happens to have had the safety valve of emigration to yankland since the 1840s.

Oh yes, fwiw, Hook managed the US rugby team.....:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I know that all countries medias will try and work a local angle to a big story but Newstalk are bordering on the obsessive. Yes Boston has Irish links, the Irish brought many things to the city over the years, including a high level system of organised crime. (doesn't seem to get mentioned too often in NT's reports :pac:)

It just grates on me a bit because this is a terrible human tragedy, nationality or ancestral links shouldn't come into any discussion really tbh.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement