Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

When did George Hook last present his Saturday show?. Every time I tune in its Bill Hughes, seems to be always going on about MTV USA like today again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Patrick2010 you must be reading my mind was just about to ask the same thing. Think Bill does an alright job (seeing as the standard set is very low anyway) but if George is rarely around why not just rename it 'The Saturday Sit In' and let whoever is knocking around Newstalk on Saturday morning present it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bobby Kerr is barely giving his guests a chance to get a word in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

kneemos wrote: »
    Bobby Kerr is barely giving his guests a chance to get a word in.

He's so bad, why do they persist in letting him present a show.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He's so bad, why do they persist in letting him present a show.

Because INM and newscore are in so much debt they probably can't afford anyone else. Kerr probably does it for free just to hear he's own voice on the national airwaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Because INM and newscore are in so much debt they probably can't afford anyone else. Kerr probably does it for free just to hear he's own voice on the national airwaves.

Very likely true, so listeners are really only indulging the chap's self-obsession. What's his claim to businesss fame anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

delaad wrote: »
    Very likely true, so listeners are really only indulging the chap's self-obsession. What's his claim to businesss fame anyway?

he inherited a hotel in the south east, then set up a coffee chain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Thanks ballsy. So as Ian Drury once kinda sang in "Ain't half been some clever bastards",..... Bobser "probably got help from his ma and his da".

Also refused to pass on the VAT drop that was brought in for the hospitality industry last year to he's customers IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Hook off again this week.He's rarely there now for the full week anyway these days. Honestly, he's into his seventies, wouldn't it be better if he quietly retired, or stuck to a weekend morning show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Hook off again this week.He's rarely there now for the full week anyway these days. Honestly, he's into his seventies, wouldn't it be better if he quietly retired, or stuck to a weekend morning show?

Ya its kind of ironic with all his preaching about public servants and their holidays & sick :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Never seems to have a problem making it to his shows in americay though...

I agree, though, the amount of time he takes off is a joke at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

Not true. , Kerr worked in several businesses for many years and set up a coffee shop which expanded when he took over Bendini & Shaw. He eventually sold a majority share in Insomnia to an Icelandic company during the boom and bought back after. He's unlikely to be only shareholder . As for hotel, it was the Newpark in Kilkenny and afaik, he was only one of several beneficiaries in family when hotel sold to Flynn hotels. It sold several years after Insomnia was established .

Btr wrote: »
    Not true. , Kerr worked in several businesses for many years and set up a coffee shop which expanded when he took over Bendini & Shaw. He eventually sold a majority share in Insomnia to an Icelandic company during the boom and bought back after. He's unlikely to be only shareholder . As for hotel, it was the Newpark in Kilkenny and afaik, he was only one of several beneficiaries in family when hotel sold to Flynn hotels. It sold several years after Insomnia was established .

so, he part inherited a hotel and then set up a coffee chain? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Btr

so, he part inherited a hotel and then set up a coffee chain? :confused:

No, in case my last line is unclear . Coffee company well predates any involvement in hotel to best of my knowledge

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Never seems to have a problem making it to his shows in americay though...

I agree, though, the amount of time he takes off is a joke at this stage.

Now, he could be ill again with the old gout, which he loves telling us about, but if he is having health issues, maybe a sick leave for a couple of months will help find an eventual successor to that slot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Now, he could be ill again with the old gout, which he loves telling us about, but if he is having health issues, maybe a sick leave for a couple of months will help find an eventual successor to that slot?

I think he was having surgery on his back. He tweeted about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Classic one from Orla Barry the other night (Monday IIRC).

She was talking to Newstalk's standard American female about F. Scott Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda. So, says this woman, Scott was 4 years older than Zelda and he was 22 when they met.

"And what age was Zelda?" says Orla :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

oh jesus shane AND Dill on the same show.

i fear me radio may combust so have changed the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

oh jesus shane AND Dill on the same show.

i fear me radio may combust so have changed the channel.

Same here....Can't believe how quick I was to get to the change channel button :D it was as if Derek Mooney and Brek appeared.:rolleyes:

Was tempted to stay a while to see when Dill would start off on her usual "the Irish are all racists" tirade but sure I can catch that any time I subject myself to her regular slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Christ, dont get me started on Dil.

I tend to be in the car on the way toi the shops on Saturday nights (exciting life i know) and will flick through the stations.

Is it the same show every week? She tends to have an anecdote about a taxi driver she met the other day who said something that was offensive...

giftgrub wrote: »
    Christ, dont get me started on Dil.

I tend to be in the car on the way toi the shops on Saturday nights (exciting life i know) and will flick through the stations.

Is it the same show every week? She tends to have an anecdote about a taxi driver she met the other day who said something that was offensive...

is the show still sponsored by a taxi firm?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

is the show still sponsored by a taxi firm?!

RACIST!

See what I did there? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I want to see Marc Coleman and Dill Whatsername fight it out. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I want to see Marc Coleman and Dill Whatsername fight it out. :pac:

I can't believe you are so racist as to forget her name. Pretty sure that makes you sexist too. Bet you're a taxi driver :P

My God, did anyone else hear what Nora said to Oisin during he's sports bulletin. Does she actually realise she is on national radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

?

uberwolf wrote: »
    ?

Oisin asked Nora was she descended from leitrim or somewhere like that, as he was talking about some team from there.

Nora replied, my mother is from Dublin but the sperm was from Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Oisin asked Nora was she descended from leitrim or somewhere like that, as he was talking about some team from there.

She really is some piece of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Wow at last she said something interesting. Incredably interesting in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

some issues to be resolved there,perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I thought she sounded slightly "under the weather" this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

I get a little sick every time she mentions anything to do with sex, especially when she tries that coy or coquettish flirty thing...eeeuuuuuwwww.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Now her support for female quotas makes sense, always supected her to be a bit of a mysandrist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

If a male presenter said "my father is from Dublin but the egg was from leitrim, would he still be cleaning out his desk or would he have been thrown out of the building immediately after being fired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

touts wrote: »
    If a male presenter said "my father is from Dublin but the egg was from leitrim, would he still be cleaning out his desk or would he have been thrown out of the building immediately after being fired?
    jeeaysus...can you even say sperm on the radio that early?

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

What's the sh1te with George and his "happiness index"?
    What's that crap al about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

coolhull wrote: »
    What's the sh1te with George and his "happiness index"?
    What's that crap al about?

It's about money. Crap it may well be, but its sponsored crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Is it just me being a grumpy old ****er or is Newstalk just about unlistenable to these days due to the length of its, increasingly frequent, ad breaks. It's bad enough in the evenings but Jonathan Healy's Lunchtime programme................aghhh!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Have I just go too old or something ?

Cause all I've been hearing on newstalk today seems like biased shyte that annoys me so much I want to fuk the radio out the window .

Surely it wasn't ALWAYS this bad ?

Jonathan in Particulars been awfull today ( granted I never listened to the breakfast show today as I just don't need the greif so I don't know what level of appalling its reached now ) .

It's like I've fallen into a parallel universe or something where gov officials and the Irish times have taken over the airwaves

Edit.

Damn you JD , ya got there before me ! Nice to know I'm not alone . Right now I'm just biding time till the news at 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I thought she sounded slightly "under the weather" this morning

Was she not hosting some conference in the National Conference Centre yesterday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Heroditas wrote: »
    Was she not hosting some conference in the National Conference Centre yesterday?

Ah yes i forgot she was hosting the Irish Superhero Women in Business Awards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Is it just me being a grumpy old ****er or is Newstalk just about unlistenable to these days due to the length of its, increasingly frequent, ad breaks. It's bad enough in the evenings but Jonathan Healy's Lunchtime programme................aghhh!!!:mad:

Yes that's another reason I don't listen as much anymore, I know they're a private station and rely on ad revenue but their prime time shows feel disjointed due to the constant interruptions, it's hard to get a flow going in studio when you have to go to commercial every 5-6mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Not getting NT on satellite ATM, any ideas?:confused::confused::confused:

The morning show and Bobby Kerrs show on Saturday were both repeats,cost cutting seems to be the order of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Haven't listened to a single NewsTalk programme in weeks now. It's not even on my radar any more.

For a purpose-built station, and bearing in mind how weak much of RTE Radio is, it's quite shocking that it doesn't have a leading slot at any time in the day, or isn't even challenging for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Greenman wrote: »

Same here...

Not paid the bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Also not getting them on my satellite radio.:confused::confused::confused:

Also not getting them on my satellite radio.:confused::confused::confused:

It's amazing really considering the amount of money that DOB has made from telecommunications, that he cant sort out a desceant signal from DOB towers.

Don't even mention there website!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement