Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

kneemos wrote: »
    The morning show and Bobby Kerrs show on Saturday were both repeats,cost cutting seems to be the order of the day.
    Noticed that as well.

Bobby Kerr's show was called "The Best of Down To Business". :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Just tuned into George yakking about (shock, horror) of fee paying kids going to college...

Guest - makes point
    George - repeats point
    Guest - makes point
    George - repeats point
    Repeat ad nauseum until George flies off on some unrelated tangent / pet peeve / lame failure of a rant

Seriously - can it get any lazier????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hook today, some comment along the lines of "somewhere, in Holland I think, they discovered this thing called Stockholm Syndrome"

Clearly they never did Geography in Pres.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

And then something to look forward to at 5:30 on a Tuesday.....George's Heroes.....Michael Collins, the Queen....Ronan O'Gara......cutting edge drive time radio output from a national broadcaster??....more like self indulgent drivel which wouldn't be allowed on college radio....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Robdundalk wrote: »
    And then something to look forward to at 5:30 on a Tuesday.....George's Heroes.....Michael Collins, the Queen....Ronan O'Gara......cutting edge drive time radio output from a national broadcaster??....more like self indulgent drivel which wouldn't be allowed on college radio....

Knock it all you like, and I agree with most of what you said, but it has a loyal audience. More than anything else NT has managed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

GSF wrote: »
    Knock it all you like, and I agree with most of what you said, but it has a loyal audience. More than anything else NT has managed.

How much of that is driven though, excuse the pun, by the drive time audience who just don't want to listen to Matt Cooper or Radio 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Heroditas wrote: »
    How much of that is driven though, excuse the pun, by the drive time audience who just don't want to listen to Matt Cooper or Radio 1?

Or people waiting for Off The Ball...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Or people waiting for Off The Ball...

Not for 70,000+ listeners who turn off when OTB comes on though....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

They're back on satellite when I checked at lunchtime:), must check my internet radio.

soc160 wrote: »
    Not for 70,000+ listeners who turn off when OTB comes on though....

Havent we been over this? The ratings drop dramatically after 6, and are pretty much the same for the end of the right hook and the start of OTB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Greenman wrote: »
    They're back on satellite when I checked at lunchtime:), must check my internet radio.

I'm sorry, this is mega OT, but...

JESUS CHRIST I JUST NOTICED YOUR SIG! :eek:

THAT'S GRADE B?!

:(

Anyway, back to NT, is it me, or is Tom Dunne getting a lot more preachy lately? Usually when he has Mary McEvoy on doing that agony aunt section he just lets her give her advice, but this morning at one point he seemed to be trying to overrule her advice with his own...

That's just the lates example, there've been a good few recently... It doesn't really suit him tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Some people might be surprised by Fergusons retirment but to devote all of Tom Dunne's show to it is taking the mick,even United fans must be fed up hearing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

kneemos wrote: »
    Some people might be surprised by Fergusons retirment but to devote all of Tom Dunne's show to it is taking the mick,even United fans must be fed up hearing about it.

Just goes to show, most men, and 1 or 2 women have great difficulty showing emotion for anything else besides 'football', absolutely pathetic, 2 hours of this sh!te.
    And prob another 1 and a half hours with the next show too. :rolleyes:

Shed a tear, christ almighty.

Just goes to show, most men, and 1 or 2 women have great difficulty showing emotion for anything else besides 'football', absolutely pathetic, 2 hours of this sh!te.
    And prob another 1 and a half hours with the next show too. :rolleyes:

Shed a tear, christ almighty.

When the Pope stepped down unexpectedly it got a lot of non-stop coverage too.

I think this is more important. :o

But yeah, an entire show dedicated to it is a bit OTT. Half hour tops IMO, should have done his intro link with Giles or Dunphy on the phone, stretch it to half past, then move on. Not listening as am in college, but if really was a full 2 hour show on it then that was just lazy.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    When the Pope stepped down unexpectedly it got a lot of non-stop coverage too.

I think this is more important. :o

But yeah, an entire show dedicated to it is a bit OTT. Half hour tops IMO, should have done his intro link with Giles or Dunphy on the phone, stretch it to half past, then move on. Not listening as am in college, but if really was a full 2 hour show on it then that was just lazy.

Absolutely ridiculous also.

There is always more important things going on in the world than football or the pox ass pope :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

There is always more important things going on in the world than football....

:eek:

Lapin wrote: »
    :eek:

Lol, I stand by my quote.

My first reaction to that tom dunne news was anger, because it's ludicrous.

However, upon brief reflection, i believe everything on tom dunne's show should be replaced by football. Or music. Or anything else that somebody, somewhere, might care about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Anyone catch the 8:25 sports news this morning? Presenter interviewed Paddy Crerand? (from Man Utd. TV) re Alex's speculated retirement. Paddy rubbished it and was incredibly rude (imo) to the Newstalk sportsguy-and I rarely have sympathy for NT presenters. Couldn't believe my ears when I heard later in the day that Ferguson had announced his retirement. Not a great advertisement for Man Utd. TV. Anyone else hear it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

honeybear wrote: »
    Anyone catch the 8:25 sports news this morning? Presenter interviewed Paddy Crerand? (from Man Utd. TV) re Alex's speculated retirement. Paddy rubbished it and was incredibly rude (imo) to the Newstalk sportsguy-and I rarely have sympathy for NT presenters. Couldn't believe my ears when I heard later in the day that Ferguson had announced his retirement. Not a great advertisement for Man Utd. TV. Anyone else hear it?

Yeah, it was comical. Well worth a listen for anyone who missed it (link below).
    How Paddy Crerand still gets a gig on TV and Radio is beyond me. I thought Oisin Langan handled it quite well ...

http://www.newstalk.ie/Paddy-Crerands-full-blooded--furious-dismissal-of-Ferguson-rumours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

honeybear wrote: »

The best part of it was they tried to ring him back twenty minutes later, after the announcement had been made. But he had turned he's phone off!

They should have Paddy on every week, he's hysterical!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lol, he made some clown of himself. :D

Talk about putting your foot in it.
    That'll go down as an all-time classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Not the first time Crerand has made a tit of himself on Newstalk. Didnt he hang up on Ivan Yates before when they were criticising Ferguson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Cazale wrote: »
    Not the first time Crerand has made a tit of himself on Newstalk. Didnt he hang up on Ivan Yates before when they were criticising Ferguson.

Yup hes a jumped up little eejit who cant stand being wrong or haveing people disagree with him, and his accent makes my ears hurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yup hes a jumped up little eejit who cant stand being wrong or haveing people disagree with him, and his accent makes my ears hurt
    he got very agressive about Roy Keane's comments on Utd vs. Real Madrid. Seems to be Fergie's media rotweiller.

GSF wrote: »
    he got very agressive about Roy Keane's comments on Utd vs. Real Madrid. Seems to be Fergie's media rotweiller.

A Rottweiler who is not privy to everything though. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Cazale wrote: »

Yates used to wind him up something awful altogether.

For those that may not have heard it, this was Crerand at 8.25 yesterday (approximately 30 mins before Fergusons retirement was announced)

And here's this mornings instalment:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Have the producers finally had a word with the breakfast presenters? All the stupid chit chat and false banter seems to have been cut out this morning!

Maybe its just early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

^^^^^ You wish, Newstalk has always been about aimless chit-chat, sexual chemistry and soccer. They had/have more buffoons than any other station by a country mile - Yates, Hook, Casey etc..................It started a long time back but if you try and make 10/15 mins of news into a couple of hours this is what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

^^^^^ You wish, Newstalk has always been about aimless chit-chat, sexual chemistry and soccer. They had/have more buffoons than any other station by a country mile - Yates, Hook, Casey etc..................It started a long time back but if you try and make 10/15 mins of news into a couple of hours this is what you get.

Nora & Chris.......:eek: NO No No no no no no..... Feck you. That image will stay with me for days......

As bad and all as Yates was for the cringey banter with Chris, at least he had a bit of knowledge about politics and a decent interviewing technique.

I reckon there's definitely something going on between Moncrieff and this shrill American woman.

She's on the programme every day plugging a different book.

She must be one hell of a fast writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

More likely one hell of an agent.

As bad and all as Yates was for the cringey banter with Chris, at least he had a bit of knowledge about politics and a decent interviewing technique.

Even they were two heterosexual blokes there was more of the seks-ual chemistry between them than with chris and nora...

I always viewed their relationship as kind of a mentor student thing or a father and son:pac:. I think Chris's development as a presenter has stagnated since Ivan's departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

More cringe from Parachute man and Hook. It's so bad that I can't turn it off.

MJ23 wrote: »
    More cringe from Parachute man and Hook. It's so bad that I can't turn it off.

Parachute man needs to take a jump without those straps on his shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did anyone know that Chris had cancer and Chemo?. I just thought I'd mention it if you didn't. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

mike65 wrote: »
    Did anyone know that Chris had cancer and Chemo?. I just thought I'd mention it if you didn't. ;)

Testicular cancer I think,heard him mention it a few times.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »

Did YOU know that Nora is a woman??

Did YOU know that Nora is a woman??

And I heard through the grape vine that she MAY have been a nurse in the UK at some very small point in her past career. :rolleyes:

Amazing what one finds out on the interwebs, little nuggets of precious info like this make it worth spending my life online....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

While Nora constant telling of her work as a nurse is incredibly annoying, I really can't see why anyone would have an issue with Chris mentioning that he had cancer. He got it, and survived, after what I am a sure was difficult chemo and a life changing experience.

For all the things to pick on him for, this really is pretty low

Leroy42 wrote: »
    While Nora constant telling of her work as a nurse is incredibly annoying, I really can't see why anyone would have an issue with Chris mentioning that he had cancer. He got it, and survived, after what I am a sure was difficult chemo and a life changing experience.

For all the things to pick on him for, this really is pretty low

He needs to learn not to shoehorn it in at every opportunity, that's all. Its the kind of thing that can become a crutch for a presenter - any story regarding cancer, long term illness, possibly fatal disease that requires extended hospital treatment now gets the "when I had cancer" treatment.

Who the hell is doing the Newstalk rugby hosting? Severe case of rising inflection.

edit - its stopped. Maybe he was "having a moment".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

That Conor (Deegan?) lad on the newstalk commentary is really annoying.. He keeps spoiling it.

Dave McIntyre is on lead commentary... He's there building it up nicely "And Cavan are coming forward, bearing down on goals, surely he cant miss from here"... And every time Conor comes in and says "WIDE.... it's wide, Dave".. as if to make sure that Dave McIntyre doesnt make a mistake.. You think somebody would tell him to back off and let McIntyre do his job..

I see Newstalk have brought back that "smart business tip" nonsense in the morning as breaks.
    Load of meaningless waffle.

I like Don Baker, but the man talks some amount of rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heroditas wrote: »
    I see Newstalk have brought back that "smart business tip" nonsense in the morning as breaks.
    Load of meaningless waffle.

Doesn't the sponsor usually go bang shortly afterwards? Not the smartest business sponsoring it...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement