Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Heroditas wrote: »
    I see Newstalk have brought back that "smart business tip" nonsense in the morning as breaks.
    Load of meaningless waffle.

Do hate that patronising crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Heh, enjoyed Tom Dunne's "documentary" on Michael Healy Rae at around 10:30. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Will Newstalk ever broadcast from Kippure or Clermont Cairn ? Is there a reason why they can't transmit from these sites ?

Or is it purely down to financial constraints ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Jesus what a load of self indulgent nonsense on newstalk right now . The establishment lads really do hate not being the gatekeepers of information anymore.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Moncrief fact of the day, that really annoy's me every day, think it's the stupid intro music that annoys me, they should just dump it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Gender quotas for Bridge names. The sillyness has been turned up to eleven.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Moncrief fact of the day, that really annoy's me every day, think it's the stupid intro music that annoys me, they should just dump it!

spot on, something about that music that makes me feel a bit queasy.

bit like seeing an old episode of 'going for gold' with henry kelly...reminds me of when i was off school sick and stuck watching tv with no remote, as in there was no remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

They should keep it, just because he forgets the fact or doesnt even have one at least twice a week and its funny to hear him weasel his way out of it.

Jeez, Ger Gilroy ought to be earning a fortune for the amount of hours he puts in... OTB 5 nights a week and the Saturday show...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought I was the only one... His facetious, smart arse tone is what I hate about him and starting the show with him, a nonsense story, and that stupid music means that I will never even catch the start of the show..

It's kind of like the way I used to dive for the radio when Ronan Collins sig tune came on..

• Advertisement

I thought I was the only one... His facetious, smart arse tone is what I hate about him and starting the show with him, a nonsense story, and that stupid music means that I will never even catch the start of the show..

It's kind of like the way I used to dive for the radio when Ronan Collins sig tune came on..

Actually it doesn't sound like Sean really wants to do the fact of the day sometimes I sense embarrassment in his voice when reading it out, I'd say it's some crap idea dreamt up by either Caroline Clarke or Henry McKean, which brings me to another item I don't like which is Henry's spot he seems to go in search of the nearest Junkie/low life he can find, I wish that him and "fact of the day" would leave the Moncrief show, I would be a happy listener :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Henry's slots = instantly change channel. He seems like a nice bloke but his presenting style, be it on Moncrieff, or his own show, just doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

MYOB wrote: »
    Henry's slots = instantly change channel. He seems like a nice bloke but his presenting style, be it on Moncrieff, or his own show, just doesn't work.

His prerecorded show on saturday mornings 'under the covers' is very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Will Newstalk ever broadcast from Kippure or Clermont Cairn ? Is there a reason why they can't transmit from these sites ?

Is there any need to transmit from these sites if there is already adequate coverage from other sites ?

Kippure & Clairmont Cairn are both RTENL installations so finance does come into play - East Coast used Kippure for a short term but its believed there was little cost/benefit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

If you listen closely, you can actually hear Bobby Kerr's jaws slapping together when he talks. I'd say he has been feasting on blocks of Kerrygold and Puddin boxes for the last 5 years.
    A big overfed buffoon who talks a lot of $hite.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »

Probably impossible to get an allocaiton on Clermont Carn. If there was allocations going I'd bet LMFM would've been up there from the start.

Little point in them using Kippure. Three Rock gives plenty of coverage north of the site, Wicklow Head does Wicklow, and Mt Leinster/Ridge of Cappard covers Laois/Kildare etc. They'd be only duplicating coverage which there's really no point in doing.
    It's puzzling why RTE use Kippure for UHF and didn't decide to plan a proper network for DTT. Kippure's coverage is downright useless and should've been decommissioned when UHF/RTE2 was introduced in the 80s.

Anyway, back to Newstalk :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

MJ23 wrote: »
    If you listen closely, you can actually hear Bobby Kerr's jaws slapping together when he talks. I'd say he has been feasting on blocks of Kerrygold and Puddin boxes for the last 5 years.

LOL :)

MJ23 wrote: »

He talks way too much and sidelines his guests is his main problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Liam Griffin on again this morning giving us all his expert opinion on the economy.
    Sorry, that should be "hotelier and All-Ireland winning manager Liam Griffin" or "All-Ahland" as Norah pronounces it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

Liam Griffin on again this morning giving us all his expert opinion on the economy.
    Sorry, that should be "hotelier and All-Ireland winning manager Liam Griffin" or "All-Ahland" as Norah pronounces it. :rolleyes:

Does the economy still revolve around hotels and the tourist industry on planet griffin?? Glad I had turned off when he was on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

neris wrote: »
    Does the economy still revolve around hotels and the tourist industry on planet griffin?? Glad I had turned off when he was on.

No, I think it just revolves around him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

kneemos wrote: »
    He talks way too much and sidelines his guests is his main problem.

Reminds me of Steve Allens early morning monologues on LBC. but at least he doesn't bother having guests on.

the perfect storm for me! Switch on to hear Norah and then cut to the ad break for fake American one on Kildare Village aaarrrrgghhh :(

GSF wrote: »
    Reminds me of Steve Allens early morning monologues on LBC. but at least he doesn't bother having guests on.

That man is a world class talker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

Chris Donoghue & Norah Casey should get the boot. They are two of the most ignorant and uninformed people (respectively) you could have the misfortune to be stuck listening to in the morning.

Chris Donoghue & Norah Casey should get the boot. They are two of the most ignorant and uninformed people (respectively) you could have the misfortune to be stuck listening to in the morning.

It's a shame newstalk don't see it that way as I see an add for them in todays independent, or maybe they are advertising due to loss of listeners, all the bosses at newstalk need to do is look how the listenership goes up when Norah is off the air for a week vs when she comes back! Surely someone in power must read boards to see what listeners think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes, management base their decisions on a couple of internet warriors posting on an internet forum.

End of the day, the advertising must be coming in otherwise that is the sole reason they would get rid of them. If the show is so bad, then loses significant listeners then advertisers wil pay less and that will force changes.

I guess (without any real info) that that isn't happening, so while on here we may not like the presenters overall they are probably doing a passable job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I would say that their struggling for advertising - same few advertisers (that moany old GAA ****er and his serious sight loss and Husqvarna) with masses of spots smacks of wheels coming off wagon but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yes, management base their decisions on a couple of internet warriors posting on an internet forum.

End of the day, the advertising must be coming in otherwise that is the sole reason they would get rid of them. If the show is so bad, then loses significant listeners then advertisers wil pay less and that will force changes.

I guess (without any real info) that that isn't happening, so while on here we may not like the presenters overall they are probably doing a passable job

Indeed. Norah got the big because of her profile: I'm sure there are scores of journalism grads out there who could do a better job, but the reality is a certain number of people will listen to NT Breakfast because yer one off Dragon's Den is presenting, and a struggling station has to scrabble for every listener. I don't hear many of her critics on here coming up with many bright ideas about who might replace her...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Leroy42 wrote:
    Surely it'd be a costs v advertising revenue? Can't imagine Chris being on massive money tbh (not a dig, I think he's ok and still learning his trade), and you could imagine a few of the other presenters doing it for the exposure as much as for the money.
    I don't hear many of her critics on here coming up with many bright ideas about who might replace her...
    David McWilliams. Back to the good old days!

Although for me, the current problems are the entire direction the station has taken regarding it's current affairs output. Unless that changes, and there's more effort towards research and balance then changing the presenters isn't going to cut it. To a degree, Yates pulled it off through his personality, but I'm not sure that follows through as a weakness of the presenters that have been before or since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭armchair fusilier

Surely someone in power must read boards to see what listeners think?

They probably do read this, but it's far too small a sample size to base anything on. JNLR figures are the determining factor, not internet forums. The show has lost some listeners since Yates left, but at 121,000 it still by a long way the second most listened to programme the station has. I personally can't bare to listen to it anymore and was fully expecting a Tubriby-style ratings collaspe, but it hasn't really happened.

They probably do read this, but it's far too small a sample size to base anything on. JNLR figures are the determining factor, not internet forums. The show has lost some listeners since Yates left, but at 121,000 it still by a long way the second most listened to programme the station has. I personally can't bare to listen to it anymore and was fully expecting a Tubriby-style ratings collaspe, but it hasn't really happened.

The alternative is so depressing.

I don't hear many of her critics on here coming up with many bright ideas about who might replace her...
    I'm sure there are scores of journalism grads out there who could do a better job

:P

scnr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    :P

scnr

a festering shyte with some flies buzzing about the place would be an improvement also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

(that moany old GAA ****er and his serious sight loss and Husqvarna).

AAArrgghh - that dreary bastard, thought it was just me 'Cloooossssshhhh yer iiii'sh' drives me insane!

• Advertisement

I know but even with Chris and the guy who steps in when she's off are a major improvement in the morning, I would listen to anyone, I thought Ger Gilroy did a decent job when he used to do it, I'd even tolerate Claire Byrne if she came back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'd even tolerate Claire Byrne if she came back.

And that says it all, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I used to listen to Newstalk quite a bit. Now I occasionally listen to Moncrieff. Thats it. No more Breakfast Show, never listened to Tom Dunne, never listened to Hook and now I don't listen to OTB. Where did it all go wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Pedalstool wrote: »
    I used to listen to Newstalk quite a bit. Now I occasionally listen to Moncrieff. Thats it. No more Breakfast Show, never listened to Tom Dunne, never listened to Hook and now I don't listen to OTB. Where did it all go wrong?

I'd say you have serious issues if you can stomach Moncrieff - is there somewhere that you can go for counselling? :D

Was listening to Moncrieff today, up until he introduced the Henry Mckean item which was about? You guessed it Drug addicts, switched over to Joe Duffy for 10 minutes and switched back to Sean when the coast was clear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

I'd say you have serious issues if you can stomach Moncrieff - is there somewhere that you can go for counselling? :D

I think its because I used to watch him on The End all those years ago. I can tolerate him. Some interesting people interviewed occasionally.

Radio is really poor these days. Especially for someone whose musical taste is irked by most music played on the airwaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Macy0161 wrote: »

David McWilliams. Back to the good old days!

Off with those rose-tinted glasses. McWilliams was a disaster as a presenter. Anything that wasn't related to economics he was utterly out of his depth on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I see Newstalk have brought back that "smart business tip" nonsense in the morning as breaks.
    Load of meaningless waffle.

Ah Jaysus - the flipping business tip. I actually like Newstalk. The Breakfast Show is a bit of light relief in the morning on the way to work (and, every now and again, I actually get a bit of news :P). I'm not particularly fond of Norah, but I've always liked Chris. (I actually enjoy Marc Coleman with Chris as a team - think they have a bit of chemistry and Marc is dryly funny when he wants to be as opposed to Norah's in your face, forced, let's be shocking 'cause I'm a successful woman who has beaten all odds and men are clearly inferior, brand of "humour"). Hookie is craic if you don't take him too seriously and expect nothing from him.

But, that fking business tip. I get to listen to Newstalk for about 30 mins a day (in and out of work) and I have to hear that tip TWICE a day. They're not even new tips - they're the exact same ones that were used about two years ago when this was last on. If I have to hear once more about the guy who may or may not be responsible for the hole in the doughnut, I am going to **** my phone into the Liffey! I mean, come up with some new crappy tips at least!!!

Grrrrr. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Here's a business tip they could use: Stop driving away listeners by force feeding them drivel dressed up as inside business information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

They should get Denis O'Brien to give his own business tips "Firstly,you'll want to bribe any ministers that might get in the way of your profit,after that..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭theholyghost

After years of listening I think yesterday was the day me and Hook finally parted ways when he announced his item "Hook's Heroes" in which he would be debating the merits of Garrett Fitzgerald with John Waters.

It reminds me of when I once listened to Hook's Saturday Sit In, only to hear Hook's Travel Tip which concerned packing Barry's Tea for your trip abroad. The nadir of radio.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    They should get Denis O'Brien to give his own business tips "Firstly,you'll want to bribe any ministers that might get in the way of your profit,after that..."

"...buy a gaff in malta where ya can register for tax purposes but still spend most of your time living in ireland by nipping over the border every 100 odd days for a session/sleep over to cover yourself with the "must leave the country " fig leaf and rest that clock ..."

(this could actually be quite fun ! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Dear God, where did they find this self congratulatory chap..

anyone bemused at the coverage on newtalks lunchtime show right now in relation to the primetime creche issue ?

i dont remember them going to batt for the madgelne laundries like this with a "shure theyre not ALL bad" angle theyre running with here !

:D:D:D

could it have anything to do with creches being of vital importance to the dennis obrien world view of how irish society needs to be set up for him to be a billionaire i.e all women being forced into the work force and spending all that money they earn on him and his fellow travellers business ventures ?

nah couldnt possibly be that

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

all women being forced into the work force

Yeah, because all women want to be stay at home mothers and none have careers or enjoy working.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement