Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Yeah, because all women want to be stay at home mothers and none have careers or enjoy working.

yeah its all about "empowerment of women" and the millionaires are just a coincidence.

remind me again, whos got the choice now ?

cause last time i checked the only reason a single person can afford a house now after the policies of the last 30yrs is the collapes of the financial system of the entire western world

women got played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wow. And this coming from someone with that signature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,190 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

yeah its all about "empowerment of women" and the millionaires are just a coincidence.

remind me again, whos got the choice now ?

cause last time i checked the only reason a single person can afford a house now after the policies of the last 30yrs is the collapes of the financial system of the entire western world

women got played

I actually can't make sense of that?

you think its a coincidence that weve gone from a country where one person, male or female, could buy a gaff and raise 4 kids on less than the average industrial wage to one where BOTH need a wage to keep a roof over their heads ?

things dont just happen, and it was policy to turn us from a society to an economy and the reason was money.

when ya understand that what happend in those creches isnt a surprise,its an expectation.

[/B]

the only reason property prices are going down is the global credit ponzi scheme collapsed and the banks are having to liqudate their assets.

if they could you'd STILL be forking out 350k on a 35k a year wage on a dog box of an appartment in stepaside.

in fact theres alot of economist and business types longing for the "celtic tiger" days to come back, even though its detrimental to the long term viability of the country.

getting back on OP its what newstalks whole "be positve/ talk up the economy " directive from the boss was all about and why they lost so many broadcasters who didtn want to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Think you have the wrong thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

is probably where you should be posting...

...or maybe...

....maybe...

DOB is paying me to derail you....

...you'll never know though....

MUHAHAHAHHAH....

ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

I agree, Hook's Heroes really is terrible....his show has turned into a parody of itself since the Off The Ball lads left after wanting to go on air earlier...every time I tune in I think of Alan Partridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Robdundalk wrote: »
    I agree, Hook's Heroes really is terrible....his show has turned into a parody of itself since the Off The Ball lads left after wanting to go on air earlier...every time I tune in I think of Alan Partridge...

Tubridy is Partridge - Hooks more like a dithering OAP who constantly wets himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Off with those rose-tinted glasses. McWilliams was a disaster as a presenter. Anything that wasn't related to economics he was utterly out of his depth on.
    I don't agree. Economics was the most important subject-matter during the travesty of the C****c T***r years. McWilliams was one of the very few commentators going against the delusional, conformist grain. He was a breath of fresh air among all the cheerleading by the likes of Austin Hughes, Dan O'Loughlin and all the other vested interest marketeers shilling through our media. Not to mention the wall-to-wall glibness of FF-PD politicians. And he deserves legendary status with his quip that McCreevy as MoF was just an accountant who got lucky.

On the issue of presentation, you have to bear in mind that Macca was alone in the chair for long stretches of the morning covering a lot of bases. Compare that to today with two Breakfast presenters essentially reading the same scripts twice, once from 7AM and again from 8AM. Macca was given little real support and was definitely burning out towards the end. But through no real fault of his own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

[/B]

See Elizabeth Warren on youtube. She has many lectures on the subject.
    Yes, women got played and society as a whole did too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Pedalstool

McDave wrote: »
    I don't agree. Economics was the most important subject-matter during the travesty of the C****c T***r years. McWilliams was one of the very few commentators going against the delusional, conformist grain. He was a breath of fresh air among all the cheerleading by the likes of Austin Hughes, Dan O'Leary and all the other vested interest marketeers shilling through our media. Not to mention the wall-to-wall glibness of FF-PD politicians. And he deserves legendary status with his quip that McCreevy as MoF was just an accountant who got lucky.

On the issue of presentation, you have to bear in mind that Macca was alone in the chair for long stretches of the morning covering a lot of bases. Compare that to today with two Breakfast presenters essentially reading the same scripts twice, once from 7AM and again from 8AM. Macca was given little real support and was definitely burning out towards the end. But through no real fault of his own.

He also said the Euro would have imploded by now. I haven't heard him on the radio in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Off with those rose-tinted glasses. McWilliams was a disaster as a presenter. Anything that wasn't related to economics he was utterly out of his depth on.
    Don't agree really. He wasn't a polished presenter, but he didn't claim to be an expert on everything either. And he was interesting to listen to. I'd still go it's more to do with the ethos of the station back then, compared to now though really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Don't agree really. He wasn't a polished presenter, but he didn't claim to be an expert on everything either. And he was interesting to listen to. I'd still go it's more to do with the ethos of the station back then, compared to now though really.

Always found him to be nearly incomprehensible while putting foward his often hair brained and sometines barmy ideas.

putting me conspiratorial hat on (tin foil of course ! :) ) is the current state of the staion down to the fact its mission could be said to have been accomplished in regards to DOBs intention for it.

i.e FG won the last election.

its certainly seems to have gone down the shytter ever since the current lot got into power and it would explain why a billionaire is funding a place thats never made a red cent in profit in its life

:D

now its done what he theoretically wanted it to do you could say he either A) doesnt give a monkies anymore and is letting it coast by on mediocrity or B) has effectively neutered em now the party being held to account are his mates.

one things for sure, its no where near the station it was.

just a thought :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

putting me conspiratorial hat on (tin foil of course ! :) ) is the current state of the staion down to the fact its mission could be said to have been accomplished in regards to DOBs intention for it.

i.e FG won the last election.

its certainly seems to have gone down the shytter ever since the current lot got into power and it would explain why a billionaire is funding a place thats never made a red cent in profit in its life

:D

now its done what he theoretically wanted it to do you could say he either A) doesnt give a monkies anymore and is letting it coast by on mediocrity or B) has effectively neutered em now the party being held to account are his mates.

one things for sure, its no where near the station it was.

just a thought :D:D:D:D

For sure, that coupled with his acquisition of INM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

If it keeps FF out of power, then who's complaining?

Pedalstool wrote: »
    He also said the Euro would have imploded by now. I haven't heard him on the radio in a long time.

I think he's been badly wrong on the Euro.

He's become an ideas man, and he has too many of them these days. A lot of the stuff in those books of his was just plain gimmicky. I guess it's hard to keep your readers interested, especially in the SB Post column. But it might have helped a bit if he had been a bit more balanced on the Euro, instead of being so hostile. It'll be hard to do such a public turnaround if/when it becomes clear that the Euro is here to stay.

It's a pity - when Newstalk started it was a resonable alternative to RTE 1 at certain hours of the day and had some decent enough shows like Down to Business (Mark Mortell), Culture Shock and Off the ball. The last few years its been run into the ground. I will be sad to see it go when its inevitable passing comes (apart from Norah Casey - she should be sent to Syria ASAP).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

pcomer wrote: »
    It's a pity - when Newstalk started it was a resonable alternative to RTE 1 at certain hours of the day and had some decent enough shows like Down to Business (Mark Mortell), Culture Shock and Off the ball. The last few years its been run into the ground. I will be sad to see it go when its inevitable passing comes (apart from Norah Casey - she should be sent to Syria ASAP).
    Haven't the poor Syrians enough to be dealing with?

Haven't the poor Syrians enough to be dealing with?

They need nurses, not radio presenters ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They need nurses, not radio presenters ;)

Oh that would be handy.
    You might not know this but, apparently, she used to work as a nurse in the UK.

You'd have to be an avid listener of the station though because she's only mentioned it once or twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Take a parachute and jump.

Boring git who only wants to talk about music, anything else is fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

MJ23 wrote: »

Mr my wifes a chef and comes on my Friday progam has more things to talk about his childer (yes i know how to spell it, hes the cabbage) or Manchester United.

Norah Casey!

What were NewsTalk smoking? Canhubris?

*I'll get my coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

MJ23 wrote: »

He's not even the expert he's made out to be..(mainly by him and Newstalk) he's part of the 'Beatles invented music' brigade...large swathes of music he knows nothing about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Do Brunker ever talk about anything other than her breasts.. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pix or get the **** out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Pedalstool wrote: »

I don't think he ever said by by end of May 2013 or any other specific date. just as he never said the property market would start tanking on January 2nd 2008. The euro is still fundamentally flawed and whether it implodes today or in 3 years time depends on how propping up by the powers that be is performed.

McWilliams used to make some very good arguments and used to come across as someone who really knew his stuff.

Unfortunately, he's just a "brand" nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

There aren't many things that'd put me off my lunch, but a discussion about Michael Douglas giving oral sex is definitely one of them.

• Advertisement

There aren't many things that'd put me off my lunch, but a discussion about Michael Douglas giving oral sex is definitely one of them.

How about Norah and Chris having a bit of "banter" discussing said topic! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Heroditas wrote: »
    How about Norah and Chris having a bit of "banter" discussing said topic! :P

tumblr_mftlyby7k51s1hg0zo1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

Just went numb at the thought -

Had the misfortune to hear her this morning musing about mobile phone coverage in Burma :eek: and her personal experience of same - is there anything this woman isnt an expert on???? Getting 3g coverage in Myanmar, nursing etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

robbe wrote: »
    is there anything this woman isnt an expert on????
    Presenting a radio show? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

GSF wrote: »
    Presenting a radio show? :p

*swish*

Nothing but net! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

robbe wrote: »
    Just went numb at the thought -

Had the misfortune to hear her this morning musing about mobile phone coverage in Burma :eek: and her personal experience of same - is there anything this woman isnt an expert on???? Getting 3g coverage in Myanmar, nursing etc etc etc

Denis O'Brien is starting a venture to obtain a mobile phone network license in Burma.

http://www.independent.ie/business/world/obrien-and-soros-combine-for-burma-mobile-phone-venture-29175494.html

In what context was Casey talking about Burma?

kraggy wrote: »

In what context was Casey talking about Burma?

Prob their cuisine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭robbe

Prob their cuisine.

The award of a mobile licence in Burma (DOB in running dontcha know) and her personal experience of getting no signal whilst ithere - why she was there who knows/cares....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Anyone notice how poor production has been on the breakfast show this week?

Lots of misfired ads, incorrect audio played, audio being played over the news by mistake etc..?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

mloc123 wrote: »
    Anyone notice how poor production has been on the breakfast show this week?

Lots of misfired ads, incorrect audio played, audio being played over the news by mistake etc..?

yeah, along with that absolutely sh*te s snot nosed git, clueless talent-less presenter and his equally inept and extremely unpleasant side kick geebag

yeah, along with that absolutely sh*te s snot nosed git, clueless talent-less presenter and his equally inept and extremely unpleasant side kick geebag

But you do realise she is a nurse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Don't know why they even bother anymore

This morning's main sports bulletin - not the headlines - Oisin Langan tells us "In the French Open tennis, the women's semi finals are on today" and then moves on, doesn't mention who is playing who.

Of what use is that sort of "news"?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Don't know why they even bother anymore

This morning's main sports bulletin - not the headlines - Oisin Langan tells us "In the French Open tennis, the women's semi finals are on today" and then moves on, doesn't mention who is playing who.

Of what use is that sort of "news"?

Probably too busy with his cringeworthy banter and smart arse comments. Worst sportscaster at Newstalk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Dargull wrote: »
    Probably too busy with his cringeworthy banter and smart arse comments. Worst sportscaster at Newstalk.

He probably thinks his delivery style is something to be proud of

it isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Dargull wrote: »

No it goes a lot deeper than that. Some producer or whatever must have run through the script with Ush in advance and seen nothing wrong with the report. They either don't know or don't care how poor their output is.

Its not just sports either. Large parts of the news, weather, even traffic reports are all now so dumbed down as to be mostly meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Some producer or whatever must have run through the script with Ush in advance and seen nothing wrong with the report.
    I wouldn't be so sure about that. I think he's there long enough to be presumed to know what he's doing.

Don't worry I'm sure he'll be on quick enough to tell you who "crashed out". No matter what sport and no matter how close the margin everyone seems to crash out in his world. I wish he'd crash out of Newstalk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The types who end up doing sport reports are overwhelmingly the "jocks" of Irish third level education, just not smart enough to do proper news (not that is any measure on NT of course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Thanks Newstalk Breakfast... the image of Norah Casey and George Hook bumping uglies will stay with me for some time...

stewiebeingscared.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

John McCririck really is a horrible man.Ever see when Alan Titchmarsh kicked him off his show after McCririck told another guest her husband had cheated on her because she wasn't attractive enough?Sums him up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement