Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Andrew Maxwell can be funny...who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

kneemos wrote: »
    Andrew Maxwell can be funny...who knew?

Maxwell?Funny?Surely you jest?The only time I've found him funny was when he was on The Panel when Dara O'Briain hosted it (and carried the whole thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Beanmonkey

I haven't listened to Movies and Booze lately, but was disappointed by this week's offering. The reviewer was not very articulate, and her descriptions and critiques of the movies were weak. Also, she didn't contribute to the discussion on the Booze (in the section that I listened to anyway).

To avoid being overtly negative: I always find Esther's reviews interesting - commenting on production value, acting, writing etc., and displaying a good knowledge of her subject without coming across smug. Her comments on the day's offering of Booze are usually worth listening to, if for nothing other than the "laymans" opinion. She also seems to have a better rapport with SM, though to be fair she has been involved with the show for significantly longer.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    Maxwell?Funny?Surely you jest?The only time I've found him funny was when he was on The Panel when Dara O'Briain hosted it (and carried the whole thing).

Very very funny on MonCrief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wish they'd get rid of Sue Murphy for Movies and Booze, she really hasn't a clue about films. All she does is slate everything.

They should just have Serena and Dean on every week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Thought it was brilliant when they were talking about the Will Smith film when Sean said 'let me guess how it ends, Jaden gets eaten by a monster and Will drinks himself to death on the ship' :pac:
    I don't drink so I'm not bothered with the booze slot on a Friday, but I find yer one who was on today insufferable, even that smug english fella is more listenable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Thought it was brilliant when they were talking about the Will Smith film when Sean said 'let me guess how it ends, Jaden gets eaten by a monster and Will drinks himself to death on the ship' :pac:
    I don't drink so I'm not bothered with the booze slot on a Friday, but I find yer one who was on today insufferable, even that smug english fella is more listenable.

Yeah your man the English fella whenever he is on sounds like he is doing an add for Dunnes Stores, I'd say he gets rewarded by supermarkets for promoting their wine sales!
    As for the reviewer today, can't really blame her for slating two crap movies, pretty much agree with her on the Smith fiasco and spot on that Jaden Smith cannot act! Although the wine lady is a bit up her own arse! Andrew Maxwell was funny! Think we caught Sean giving out about the crap Moncreif fact of the day!
    Again Henry's section is a waste of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Dean McGuinness is my favourite of the booze critics, always a good laugh and not remotley up his own arse about budget beers etc. I don't mind Ester McCarthy, her reviews mean nothing to me but she's pretty good craic, same with Serena to be fair.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Some of the best reviews are when they are reviewing some awful film and Sean is just taking the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Does Hooke show up at all these days?

Dave McIntyre is extremely annoying too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I remember back in 2005 as a young lad I got the honourable job of sitting outside one of the exam centres in my local school for the leaving cert bringing in tea to the exam superintendent. It was then I got to listen to newstalk for most of the day for a few weeks. I would listen to moncrieff every day. I have barely listened to it since but the few times I have the format seems completely unchanged in the last eight years. He gets an author on for a book that probably isn't on sale in Ireland no one will buy and most of the other segments appear unchanged. Surely even he would want to mix it up a bit?

I remember back in 2005 as a young lad I got the honourable job of sitting outside one of the exam centres in my local school for the leaving cert bringing in tea to the exam superintendent. It was then I got to listen to newstalk for most of the day for a few weeks. I would listen to moncrieff every day. I have barely listened to it since but the few times I have the format seems completely unchanged in the last eight years. He gets an author on for a book that probably isn't on sale in Ireland no one will buy and most of the other segments appear unchanged. Surely even he would want to mix it up a bit?

Obviously you haven't heard about "Fact of The Day".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He's a bit of a smartarse alright one of the 'enlightened Liberals :rolleyes:', he'll belittle a texter or tweeter because he's always right about everything. He also will treat guests badly when views clash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

He's a bit of a smartarse alright one of the 'enlightened Liberals :rolleyes:', he'll belittle a texter or tweeter because he's always right about everything. He also will treat guests badly when views clash.

i remember someone was on talking about the state of radio in ireland a couple of weeks ago, to which a texter sent in a message saying that RTE was so bad that they thought newstalk was the only public service radio station at the moment.
    i texted in saying that was a load of shyte, especially given their coverage of anything involving denis 'can do no wrong' o'brien. my text was read out in the guise that because he read it out, that newstalk was being perfectly fair.
    if only he treated ivana bacik with the same disdain as ronan mullen. they're equally as repulsive as the other, but you're right, it'll never happen.
    he will also justify that by saying he lets ronan mullen have his say, but then he'll spend the next couple of days going on about how he'll never agree with anything he says. i just wish he would say it while he's in and take him up on his opinions, just to be devil's advocate. similarly with ivana bacik.

Moncrieff's the cleverist and sharpest interviewer on the Irish airways can be a bit condesending and a tad unfair at times though in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Don't know why they even bother anymore

This morning's main sports bulletin - not the headlines - Oisin Langan tells us "In the French Open tennis, the women's semi finals are on today" and then moves on, doesn't mention who is playing who.

Of what use is that sort of "news"?

On Friday he told us that everyone was hoping for a Nadal V's Djokovic Final presuming they come through the semi finals.

Only one little problem that was was overlooked, they were playing each other in the semi final. :mad:
    A primary school child wouldn't make that mistake.
    When the sports readers can't be bothered to do a little research they i don't think there is any hope for the station.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anybody else think talking history has gotten to highbrow..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

That dali thing was pure crap. alot of the guests now are into to much of an intellectual debate rather then informing the listener and making history interesting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Newstalk Breakfast annoys me a lot of the time BUT 11,250 raised for Irish Cancer Society & LARCC well done !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I wish somebody would stick a spud in John Drennan's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

If you are a man, Marc Coleman, you are the last man. Your kind is extinct; we are the inheritors. Do you understand that you are alone? You are outside history, you are non-existent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

withless wrote: »
    If you are a man, Marc Coleman, you are the last man. Your kind is extinct; we are the inheritors. Do you understand that you are alone? You are outside history, you are non-existent.

Oh, what has he said now? Has he blamed atheism for the Holocaust? Is Keynesian economics responsible for the credit crunch? Or has he fallen for that bull**** statement "abortion is never needed to save a woman's life".

Removing history as a mandatory subject for de leving = abortion on demand, anti-catholic, liberal, leftist etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

withless wrote: »
    Removing history as a mandatory subject for de leving = abortion on demand, anti-catholic, liberal, leftist etc.

dafuq? That's a pretty illogical conclusion, but then again this is the guy who wrote "The Best Is Yet To Come".

• Advertisement

Everything he doesn't like = abortion on demand, anti-catholic, liberal, leftist etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Retiro

When using the Newstalk website, is it possible to save an episode from the "Listen Back" option, and then listen when online? Ideally on ipod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jesus, Tom Dunne's show is insufferable this week. 3 shows in a row dedicated to prostitution. I hate when they do this "dedicate a week to random issue" sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Jesus, Tom Dunne's show is insufferable this week. 3 shows in a row dedicated to prostitution. I hate when they do this "dedicate a week to random issue" sh*te.

Dunne has figured out 'there's no show like a Ho show'

Seems like Tom wants his show to be "edgy" and "controversial" :rolleyes:
    He must be having withdrawal symptoms this week from not being able to talk about all the legendary musicians and singers he met during his wild rock music days........

• Advertisement

Switched it off yesterday,couldn't believe they dragged another day out of it.Smacks of cost saving.

kneemos wrote: »
    Switched it off yesterday,couldn't believe they dragged another day out of it.Smacks of cost saving.

The worst thing about it is that Tom clearly has a view on it, and no matter what the person they're talking to says you can hear that he's not taking any notice.

I think it was Tuesday they played the interview with the couple that were working together, they said they liked it, were making good money, etc. Today, a woman came on and said she worked as a hooker for 20 years, and suffered serious mental problems because of it.

Tom's response? "So would it be fair to say your experience is the same as everyone in the industry?" I mean, what kind of stupid question is that?

I like Tom Dunne, but if he's going to insist on doing serious issue interviews, someone needs to give a copy of "Baby's First Radio Interview".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The worst thing about it is that Tom clearly has a view on it, and no matter what the person they're talking to says you can hear that he's not taking any notice.

I think it was Tuesday they played the interview with the couple that were working together, they said they liked it, were making good money, etc. Today, a woman came on and said she worked as a hooker for 20 years, and suffered serious mental problems because of it.

Tom's response? "So would it be fair to say your experience is the same as everyone in the industry?" I mean, what kind of stupid question is that?

I like Tom Dunne, but if he's going to insist on doing serious issue interviews, someone needs to give a copy of "Baby's First Radio Interview".

He has two daughters don't you know he is the moral authority on all aspects of this problem. He doesn't need no book to tell him what to do, he just needs Mary to offer here opinion on everything that nobody asked for.

/Sarcasm off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

who was on coleman last night coughing into the mic liked they just smoked a box of 20 johnnie blues in one long drag. was desperate broadcasting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

neris wrote: »
    who was on coleman last night coughing into the mic liked they just smoked a box of 20 johnnie blues in one long drag. was desperate broadcasting

sounds like coleman himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

sounds like coleman himself

Yeah it was Coleman.. He had Ganley and Dr Bill on with him, but it was Marc that was having his usual coughing problems.. I'm not sure why he cant work his "audio" around his cough.. could they not use a cough button??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Listening to Moncreif.

Who would be a TD.....
    The abuse they receive from these so-called "Christians" is disgusting.

Yeah it was Coleman.. He had Ganley and Dr Bill on with him, but it was Marc that was having his usual coughing problems.. I'm not sure why he cant work his "audio" around his cough.. could they not use a cough button??

Coleman,Ganley and Bill.Sweet Jesus.Who in their right mind would want to listen to three grumpy old men at 10:00 at night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Why is Mary mcEvoy a so called "agony aunt" on the TD show? Has she got a qualification on the queries people are texting in or ringing into? If not how does that make her to be a expert?? on commenting on them.Shure maybe I could go on the show then..........god help us:D

While I am here, George Hook is in the US again!!.He seems to be the only presenter that either has alot more time off, or either spends alot more time been shipped off to other countries, especially the US.How can NT afford to have this special treatment.I do listen to the show most evenings, but even I think its a bit wasteful.

jimmyw wrote: »
    Why is Mary mcEvoy a so called "agony aunt" on the TD show? Has she got a qualification on the queries people are texting in or ringing into? If not how does that make her to be a expert?? on commenting on them.Shure maybe I could go on the show then..........god help us:D

Sure doesn't everybody trust Biddy? ;)

• Advertisement

While I am here, George Hook is in the US again!!.He seems to be the only presenter that either has alot more time off, or either spends alot more time been shipped off to other countries, especially the US.How can NT afford to have this special treatment.I do listen to the show most evenings, but even I think its a bit wasteful.

Doubt NT pay for any of Hooks journeys judging by the number of times Aer Lingus and whatever hotel he's staying in gets mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Sure doesn't everybody trust Biddy? ;)

Not behind the wheel they dont..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Niamh Hassell on Breakfast just referred to "the Labour Relations Commission" report on mandatory sentencing.

I think the appropriate acronym here is "FFS"...

There can't be much worse things than listening to George Hook chatting to Mark Little in Noterrr Daaaame :rolleyes:

There can't be much worse things than listening to George Hook chatting to Mark Little in Noterrr Daaaame :rolleyes:

Talking to Liam Griffen.

The movie girl they had on for Movies & Booze was pretty good,wouldn't mind her being on if Esther was unavailable.Has Serena been on in a while?I can't remember her being on in quite some time now.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Greyham

Listening to Moncreif.

Who would be a TD.....
    The abuse they receive from these so-called "Christians" is disgusting.

Yea, I know this phrase has been online the last few days but there really is something so ironic about pro lifers who issue death threats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

I see Hooky is off yet again on the Saturday sit in.Even Bill Hughes is sick of filling in for him on that slot......:D

They should have called it the "waifs and strays" sit in.Tara Duggan will be doing it (the show that is, not that:p) next week for the third time.

On the Sit In, I haven't heard that much of it the last two weeks, but Tara has impressed me with her presenting style.

Unfortunately though, Bobby Kerr was on instead of Tom Dunne doing the year in music thing... good lord! :(

• Advertisement

I see Hooky is off yet again on the Saturday sit in.Even Bill Hughes is sick of filling in for him on that slot......:D

They should have called it the "waifs and strays" sit in.Tara Duggan will be doing it (the show that is, not that:p) next week for the third time.

He's in America again.He's sounding a bit livelier and more alert than of late.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement