Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Unfortunately though, Bobby Kerr was on instead of Tom Dunne doing the year in music thing... good lord! :(

I don't mean to re-traumatise you, but how bad was it? :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I don't mean to re-traumatise you, but how bad was it? :o

Just imagine how painful Bobby Kerr's show is, then imagine him talking about music and films from the 90's...

stewiebeingscared.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I often wonder what they're going to do when Tom Dunne's "year in music" runs out. Let's face it, after just 12 months, they'll have gone through the past 52 years in music, although I suppose Bobby Kerr could probably go back as far as the Charleston era.......

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Speaking of TD's music shows Bobby Kerr being into oldschool Punk makes me feel sick. The whole 'the working man is a sucker' angle to the original genre seems to be lost on him.

I think its a faux interest, he wants us to think that he was hip back in the 70s. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Speaking of TD's music shows Bobby Kerr being into oldschool Punk makes me feel sick. The whole 'the working man is a sucker' angle to the original genre seems to be lost on him.

I think its a faux interest, he wants us to think that he was hip back in the 70s. :pac:

If that is the case, he's failing miserably!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He's less "hip", more "hip replacement"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Yeah it was Coleman.. He had Ganley and Dr Bill on with him, but it was Marc that was having his usual coughing problems.. I'm not sure why he cant work his "audio" around his cough.. could they not use a cough button??
    he apparently just dosnt give a crap that he constantly splutters into the mic making highly unpleasant sounds throughout the show. It's desperate. Someone needs to have a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Casey leaving Breakfast Show on Thursday: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/norah-casey-leaves-newstalk-breakfast-show-1.1428866

Not before time. Haven't listened to a minute of that miserable show since she joined. Hopefully they'll replace her with someone tolerable.

Ivan Yates to return in the autumn I wonder?

These "changes to the weekend schedule" will be interesting. Wonder will the Picture Show or Future Proof survive?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I'm glad Shane Coleman will be replacing her anyway, even if only temporarily. Whatever about anything else, there's usually always a good bit of banter between Chris and Shane whenever they're on together!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Futureproof is the only thing I listen to on Newstalk now. Expect them to remove that, so, completing the transformation from a station on which i listened to every show (to some degree or other), to no shows whatsoever. It's actually kind of sad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Wilberto wrote: »
    I'm glad Shane Coleman will be replacing her anyway, even if only temporarily. Whatever about anything else, there's usually always a good bit of banter between Chris and Shane whenever they're on together!!

It'll be fianna fail propoganda radio with him in the presenters chair!

He's brother in law will be writing the scripts for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

McDave wrote: »
    Casey leaving Breakfast Show on Thursday: http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/media-and-marketing/norah-casey-leaves-newstalk-breakfast-show-1.1428866

Not before time. Haven't listened to a minute of that miserable show since she joined. Hopefully they'll replace her with someone tolerable.

one down, one to go... although there's no chance that he'll go on his own accord and its not like he'd be head hunted, he wouldn't be offered a 20 minute slot on a community radio station.

"we have a PACKED show for you today" X 300 times daily. just keeps saying how packed the shows going to be until its time to handover at 10am.

It'll be fianna fail propoganda radio with him in the presenters chair!

He's brother in law will be writing the scripts for him.

Ah yeah, but I was putting things like that into the "Whatever about anything else" category!!

Still, I bet it'll still be better than what Ray D'Arcy has to offer with Today FM!! Im my own personal opinion anyway!!

Wilberto wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but I was putting things like that into the "Whatever about anything else" category!!

Still, I bet it'll still be better than what Ray D'Arcy has to offer with Today FM!! Im my own personal opinion anyway!!

Unfortunately until Pat Kenny starts at ten, morning radio is fairly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i think its gone well beyond the presenters at this stage and the rots got into the editorial.

i mean WTF was that item they did on fathers day during the week which may as well been subtitled "how much of a bastard is yours?" ?

can ya imagine a female version called "valentines day : she's really a whore isnt she" or "mothers day : what a bitch" ?

its wouldnt get passed scheduling in a school radio let alone a national .

i honestly thought i was hallucinating it at one stage :D

as to casey , i can see her taking over from bobby kerr on the business show. that bloke just does not have a voice for broadcasting and the shows fallen a loooooooong way from when mark mortell did it. lately its felt like he's just interviewing his mates instead of delivering a comprehensive business show ala what you get on today fm.

as to casey , i can see her taking over from bobby kerr on the business show. that bloke just does not have a voice for broadcasting and the shows fallen a loooooooong way from when mark mortell did it. lately its felt like he's just interviewing his mates instead of delivering a comprehensive business show ala what you get on today fm.

Sounds great as long as they're not planning on replacing George Hook with Kerr.

Not that you can't find anyone better than Hook, but Kerr just isn't one of them. I just can't stand that man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Won't be assaulted by Nora's fake concerned voice anymore then,herself and Miriam O'Callaghan could start a support group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

I'm a bit of a flicker in the morning hopping between Bore-ning Ireland, music and Newstalk.

Newstalk is now off the preset in the car after i heard Chris introduce a panel guest and proceeded to ask him how it was "hanging"....

In-car facepalm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

giftgrub wrote: »
    I'm a bit of a flicker in the morning hopping between Bore-ning Ireland, music and Newstalk.

Newstalk is now off the preset in the car after i heard Chris introduce a panel guest and proceeded to ask him how it was "hanging"....

In-car facepalm....

In terms of the dumbing-down of broadcasting Newstalk is the pathfinder. Between crap broadcasters and dire, patronizing advertising ........:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

From G Hook broadcasting from Notre Dame to Colm Parkinson giving his opinion on soccer to Tom Dunne promoting prostitution to Brendan Keenan telling us how the country should be run to John Drennan's slices of 'humour' to Tom McGurk listening to the sound of his own voice to Chris and Nora spending the whole show repeating themselves, reading the papers and telling us about the 'packed show full of stuff' the whole station seems to be running itself into the ground....it's as if it's a tax write off or something and they hold editorial meetings discussing who else they can bring in to make it worse.... Hook's Heroes on a drive time show...FFS...
    It seems the only person not in on the scheme is Shane Coleman who plays it straight and is a good broadcaster.....that's my two cents worth....
    Ps Liam Griffen also

giftgrub wrote: »

In-car facepalm....

Lol I am not surprised. When did that happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

John Cooper Clarke on The Green Room: was he not talking to Moncrieff the other day? He used to be this obscure cult figure, now you can't get away from him...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

that bloke just does not have a voice for broadcasting and the shows fallen a loooooooong way from when mark mortell did it. lately its felt like he's just interviewing his mates instead of delivering a comprehensive business show ala what you get on today fm.

bobby kerr never interviewed anyone. he just has people in the same room and he talks at them like they're idiots :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Robdundalk wrote: »
    it's as if it's a tax write off or something
    That's what I've often thought about it. That, and putting DOB's propaganda out there makes it serve two useful purposes.

Which is why he's not so bothered about the fact that it has only one show in the Top 30.

I think he cares more about Today FM and has proper broadcasters there (three of whom on the 7AM-7PM schedule are ex RTE).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I really think it goes beyond presenters in newstalk. It's been dumbing down since before it went national. Hard to believe that I was crying out for access back in those days being just beyond it's then reach, and now I hardly listen except for Off The Ball (which for me has survived the second captains leaving pretty well - it's all about the guests for me, not the "banter").

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Hook broadcasting from Americay again!

How the feck is he getting away with all these 'working' holidays?? What a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Hook broadcasting from Americay again!

How the feck is he getting away with all these 'working' holidays?? What a joke.

Yeah, I normally listen to the show, for the fights:p, but this week is a joke.He seems to be shipped over there at the drop of a hat.I dont notice any of the other presenters broadcasting from there or anywhere else too often.Tuning out this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Robdundalk

jimmyw wrote: »
    Yeah, I normally listen to the show, for the fights:p, but this week is a joke.He seems to be shipped over there at the drop of a hat.I dont notice any of the other presenters broadcasting from there or anywhere else too often.Tuning out this week.
    The Right Hook...the clue is in the title....it has nothing to do with the listeners and is a vanity project for big George...everything is about him or returns to being about him very shortly.... Ireland's own Alan Patridge(Partridge probably talks about himself less!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

I'd actually love a half decent talk radio station here. Newstalk is brutal at the moment and seems to be getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

6781 wrote: »
    I'd actually love a half decent talk radio station here. Newstalk is brutal at the moment and seems to be getting worse.

I used to love it back in 2003. I know it was very Dublin-centric but I'm a Dub and always found most of the shows interesting, apart from Orla Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Heroditas wrote: »
    I used to love it back in 2003. I know it was very Dublin-centric but I'm a Dub and always found most of the shows interesting, apart from Orla Barry.

Agree 100% - i am a culchie but was living in Dublin at the time - found it a great station at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭serfboard

Was listening to the end of OTB last night and left the radio on. This was followed at 9PM by Coleman (is this a new time for him?)

Anyway, being an open-minded sort of person I decided to listen to what he had to say. He first started giving out about the fact that the BAI will soon introduce guidelines to stop presenters giving their opinions (or some such).

He then went on a right-wing rant for almost 15 minutes, with some of the most ridiculous rubbish I've ever heard. I was leaving it on to see were there actual guests on, but got so sickened by the crap he was spouting that I had to turn it off.

RAR. Really appalling radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

pcomer wrote: »
    Agree 100% - i am a culchie but was living in Dublin at the time - found it a great station at that stage.

In many ways, Dublin City FM reminds me of what Newstalk was like in the early days, albeit Dublin City is very much a station run by amateurs and enthusiasts.

Actually.... that makes them very similar! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

this rearrangement in the indo today is arseways.

futureproof is a decent show, early morning on a saturday is going to kill any interest.
    as annoying as sile seoige used to be, the show had improved a lot. it was grand for an early saturday afternoon. why they're replacing her with down to business, while still presented by that clown is beyond me.

i would be thinking that business shows use a lot of info from the sunday papers anyway?

this rearrangement in the indo today is arseways.

futureproof is a decent show, early morning on a saturday is going to kill any interest.
    as annoying as sile seoige used to be, the show had improved a lot. it was grand for an early saturday afternoon. why they're replacing her with down to business, while still presented by that clown is beyond me.?

i would be thinking that business shows use a lot of info from the sunday papers anyway?

Can you throw up a link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So what's on Sunday instead of Bobby Kerr?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Can you throw up a link?

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/seoige-radio-show-axed-in-overhaul-29359156.html

LOUISE HOGAN – 20 JUNE 2013
    PRESENTER Sile Seoige's radio show on Newstalk has been axed as part of a major overhaul of the station's weekend schedule.

Ms Seoige (34), who battled thyroid cancer last year, had enjoyed a two-hour slot on a Saturday, with a softer-style show, 'Shenanigans with Sile' dipping into human-interest and lifestyle stories.

However, the talk radio chiefs said in-depth research into its audience had shown listeners wanted "speech driven shows" in the prime-time weekend slots.

"We conducted extensive research into our listener trends and demands and our schedule changes reflect those results," said Garrett Harte, Newstalk's station editor.

Ms Seoige didn't comment on the dropping of her show last night, but at the launch of Keelings' fruit snack pots last week she indicated she was looking for more opportunities in television presenting.

The Spiddal native and fluent Irish speaker's weekend slot will be taken over by the 'Down to Business' show with former 'Dragons' Den' businessman Bobby Kerr, which will move from Sundays to the prominent 11am to 1pm slot on Saturdays.

A spokesman for Newstalk stressed the decision to "discontinue" Ms Seoige's midday show was not linked to listenership figures and was simply a "strategic decision" based on research. The radio station stressed there was "no animosity" in the move to take the show off air.

Other changes at the station will see science programme 'Futureproof' with Jonathan McCrea now airing early on Saturday mornings.

Former 'Dragons' Den' presenter Norah Casey, who announced she was stepping down from hosting Newstalk's breakfast show, will now return with a weekend show in September.

Irish Independent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Looks like tinkering around the edges rather than any meaningful change. Long slow decline continues....

I suspect the single greatest concern is to minimise Newstalk losses, hold onto the licence and thus block any competition to Communicorp in the form of a decent alternative national talk station. DOB meanwhile continues his relentless drive to control swathes of Irish media.

No doubt RTE will be happy with this continuing decline as it lessens any pressure to improve it's own output.The BAI will also be happy as it gets to avoid making any actual decisions about anything. Politicians etc will all be delighted at the continuing impoverishment of anything resembling solid investigative journalism, or even decent interviewing skills.

The real pity will remain for those of us who enjoy good current-affairs driven radio or are perhaps a teeny bit worried about a tax exile billionaires control over Irish media....or even believe that a functioning, competitive and properly regulated media might have something to contribute to Irish democracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I suspect the single greatest concern is to minimise Newstalk losses, hold onto the licence and thus block any competition to Communicorp in the form of a decent alternative national talk station.

There is no such competition. If DOB pulls the plug on Newstalk, as I suspect he is seriously considering in order to smooth the way for total control of INM, that's the end of any alternative to R1.

I'd be surprised if there were no takers for the licence if he decided to close NT.

You may well be correct in that he is starting to wind it down in case it's a problem for him taking over the INM group.

The "prominent 11am-1pm" slot?

Say what?

I thought Saturday mornings were generally considered one of the worst possible times to have a show?

Also, this is hardly a "major overhaul". A major overhaul IMO involves a raft of new presenters and shows, not just moving two shows and axing one.

I do feel sorry for Seoige though. I wouldn't be her biggest fan, but if her show was improving from bits I've heard over the past few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Wasn't their business show in that slot when David Murphy used to have the show?

There is a decent talk station in Communicorp towers - unfortunately it's TodayFM. In every "talk" slot they compete with Newstalk, TodayFM is better (and if D'arcy is reading - that's better, not good).

Someone mentioned Coleman starting at 9 - OTB doesn't do the "Football Show" during the summer, so finishes an hour earlier - it's been that way for years.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Wasn't their business show in that slot when David Murphy used to have the show?

There is a decent talk station in Communicorp towers - unfortunately it's TodayFM. In every "talk" slot they compete with Newstalk, TodayFM is better (and if D'arcy is reading - that's better, not good).

Someone mentioned Coleman starting at 9 - OTB doesn't do the "Football Show" during the summer, so finishes an hour earlier - it's been that way for years.

There's the makings of a decent talk/CA station if they moved the talk slots from Today FM to NT and let Today FM be a music station and NT a talk station. But I guess there's business reasons why that's not going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

That guy who presents future proof is an excellent presenter

That guy who presents future proof is an excellent presenter

I find him excellent on his own show but any time I hear him on Hook he sounds like a smug git.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I find him excellent on his own show but any time I hear him on Hook he sounds like a smug git.

thats disappointing to hear never heard him on anything else

Could just be a natural reaction to being faced with Hooks blustering....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

what's Coleman's beef lately he has a serious cob on with everyone on his show this week.maybe it is the earlie
    r start

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement