Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Really??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

/waves to Denis!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What was the point in Hook going over to DC for the inauguration..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

Dub13 wrote: »
    What was the point in Hook going over to DC for the inauguration..?

Personally I feel NewsTalk is turning a bit sh*te, especially with the number of repeats every day, the terrible breakfast show and the 30c texts that they never read out.

But for some reason I still tune in everyday in the hope that it'll get better. This morning, for example, I knew Ger and Conor would be cr*p, but I had no alternative but to tune-in. Proabably because the lack of choice on Irish talk radio.

Yesterday evening though I had to tune out because Ivan Yeats presenting the Right Hook was terrible last night - I much prefer Aldous as a fill in.

Anyway, I thought Hooky was quiet good reporting from Washington, and the show, imo, was very good, especially with Aldous's History knowledge live in studio. I would have preferred however to see the whole thing live on TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Is it just me but ever since Newstalk went into Marconi house with Today Fm Hook has been presenting his show from everywhere but the studio in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Focus6

Morning Show isn't the worst - better than bleedin Colm and JimJim anyhow.

Ger and Clare are alright I guess. That week where George Hook stood in just showed what type of quality was possible.

I really don't understand why they can't find someone better and more interesting than Conor Brophy. No good for a morning show - He sends everyone back to sleep.

He has the most boring, monotone voice I've ever heard. There are so many unemployed these days, and the best Newstalk can find is Conor Brophy?

I hear him coming on the radio and suddenly it's mp3 player time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It should be called "Sportstalk" now.
    I tune in every morning in the car and every morning; sports. Not that I have anything against sports of course it's just that it's less about current affairs than it used to be.

I'm taking it off my list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

And why can't they find a real broadcaster and not Ivan Yates?

"Real broadcasters" are very thin on the ground in Newstalk's regular presenters, nevermind the replacements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭landmonster

deadhead13 wrote: »
    "Real broadcasters" are very thin on the ground in Newstalk's regular presenters, nevermind the replacements.

Good point, well made.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The worst thing is that they don't see to be even trying to unearth people who are good at presenting. For example, Matt Cooper started off as a stand-in for Eamon Dunphy back in the day - he was working on the Sunday Tribune at the time. Ivan Yates is a former TD/mouth for hire. As it's turned out, he's better at being a pundit than a presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

"Mouth for hire" I frikken like that.

Do you mind if I use it in other posts??

Richard Aldous is the exception, but I doubt he would give up the day job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 OldOddJobs

Ivan Yates is a fool.

Off The Ball is still the best national sports programme. The people who put the show together have a sense of humour, and source a very wide range of contributors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

OldOddJobs wrote: »
    Ivan Yates is a fool.

He is far from it, IMO. Maybe not the best radio presenter.

OldOddJobs wrote: »
    Ivan Yates is a fool.

Off The Ball is still the best national sports programme. The people who put the show together have a sense of humour, and source a very wide range of contributors.

Bit emphatic and biased for your second post I would suggest??

You have to feel sorry for people who head all the way into newstalk for a 2/3 min interview that could have been done over the phone.I am sure they are thinking if I go in it must be a long interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

You have to feel sorry for people who head all the way into newstalk for a 2/3 min interview that could have been done over the phone.I am sure they are thinking if I go in it must be a long interview.

It happens on Morning Ireland as well, especially during the business news

By the way i signed up for the NewsTalk Nation, under a false name. I feel like messing them around for the sheer badness of it

So you'll be one of the 3% who agree Sheep Bothering should be made de-criminalised!? :pac:

• Advertisement

:eek:You mean it's illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sar!

Originally Posted by Dub13

I feel particularly sorry for those they interview that end up speaking to Ger "im compelled to interrupt you" Gilroy. I dont think I have ever once heard him allow someone to get to the end of their main point and finish their sentence without him cutting straight across them.

The morning show is an utter load of tripe and getting worse by the day.

This irritation combined with those god awful "Life Tips" that are totally meaningless really send me into a rant before I even reach the office!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lena on da wall

Enjoyed George on with Claire - thought they had a good rapport.

I like Conor (and his deep voice) but prefer it when he sticks to the business slot.

Ger's Bangkok / China clanger the other morning gave me a great laugh - especially when the competition entrant corrected him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Arrg....Eamon Keane interviewing Tony Fenton now about U2.

Someone please give me a gun so i can shoot my radio!

mick_irl wrote: »
    Arrg....Eamon Keane interviewing Tony Fenton now about U2.

Someone please give me a gun so i can shoot my radio!

It would be a lot hander if you just changed the station...;)

It would be a lot hander if you just changed the station...;)

It wouldn't give the same satisfaction though.

• Advertisement

Weirdly I had the radio on was in the same room as it and yet did not hear a word of it.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Not surprising really mike, keane has one of those voices that you tend to block out after a while.

i'm pretty sure i heard ger gilroy doing an ad for a Palestinian fundraiser on NT the other day

Now i dont want to get into the rights and wrongs of the conflict over there, but as a "journalist" surely this would raise questions about impartiality?

what if they came out of the break with that ad and he has to interview someone on the israeli side?

Was the ad for a Charity - Disasters Emergency Committee, that the beeb refused to advertise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

giftgrub wrote: »
    i'm pretty sure i heard ger gilroy doing an ad for a Palestinian fundraiser on NT the other day

Now i dont want to get into the rights and wrongs of the conflict over there, but as a "journalist" surely this would raise questions about impartiality?

what if they came out of the break with that ad and he has to interview someone on the israeli side?

It was Gilroy. He is getting into a very grey area with this one. Your right, if he had to do an interview with an Israeli spokesman then he would be compromised in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Newstalk News is far too parochial for me ...........

Item One
    Newstalk: There has been another stabbing in Tallaght!
    Five Live: Japan's economy is feeling the economic pinch.

Item Two:
    Newstalk: Man falls off LUAS Tram in Dublin today.
    Five Live: European ministers consider fiscal rescue package for Iceland.

OK, so I have taken a little artistic licence with some of the above :)) but the point still stands, sometimes you might be forgiven for thinking that the rest of the World had evaporated listening to some of their News reports.

Koloman wrote: »
    It was Gilroy. He is getting into a very grey area with this one. Your right, if he had to do an interview with an Israeli spokesman then he would be compromised in my opinion.

Unfortunately, over all aspects of the media with the possible exception of Kenny, most of them don't seem to understand these basic principles.

Probably think the great unwashed out there don't understand these things.

Like listening to Ryan expounding on Fitzpatricks Hotel in NYC....

Time these people were rumbled.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Time these people were rumbled.

Indeed!
    The worst being Ryan Tupperware. His shows are dressed like a Formula1 drivers overalls.

Being aas it is a NTK thread though there is one man oddly absent in his slutty associations...Tom Dunne. Although it is rather difficult to place him with a suitable product...Always(with wings) maybe? A hand balm? Shake and Vac?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I would remind all posters to keep their language in check, we're mostly all adults here and it would be great if we could post as same.

Warnings/Infractions may (and have) be issued to those who choose to ignore this.

I believe tbh gave a similar warning in another thread.

I know some people here are Moncreif fans, and I wouldnt be completey against the show myself, but what does get to me is the texts
    Theyre getting to be like Ray D'arcy's, the "Mick the JCB driver says..." type of thing

"Fuzzy Navel wants to know if a wine he bought in 1978 is still drinkable?"
    " Hi Sean, my girlfirend wont sleep with me because i wear socks to bed, what will I do, from Kermit?"
    "Obi Wan says he's driving to cork and he's seen an orange cow...has anyone else seen it?"

Was the show not always like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jimbozo

Typical from Claire this morning. They switch from banking outrage straight to a discussion of a Lilly Allen song that rips off a Take That song. Play clips of both songs. Discuss the fact that Lilly Allen mentioned copying the song on her MySpace and didnt think she would use it on her album but did!

'I wonder whats going to happen now?' said Claire. And of course she finished it off with 'What song do you think sound like each other? Lets us know on 53106 for a cost of 30c'

Words failed me laughter did not.

Dear God, I stuck Clare 'n Ger (but it was Mark) on at about 7.45 after 30 mins of twaddle I bailed out - while its true I was less than fully awake I cannot recall a single news item - it was regular slots and time filling chit chat until I just gave up as Clare droned on about something or other.

A year ago I did a breakdown of an hour of the Morning show

I'm tempted to do it again to see if things are any different. The idea of 60 mins non stop careful listening is almost too much to bear.

I agree with what you say Mike, it is utter trash of the highest order, although I do think that 'Claire' holds promise, and given the right environment in a professional 'set-up' she would thrive, what really grates on me is the laughing buffoon slot which starts at 9am.

With Geraghty gone and a new chief in do you reckon there'll be many changes made to Newstalk? And what about the BCI pulling them up over programming?

• Advertisement

I would doubt. Did she have any say in the editorial or was she looking after the money side of things moreso?

I have no idea Mick!

Although they seem prime for a change around - even a change of schedule. Also, do you not think that the new chief will be interested in putting his own stamp on the station?

Actually it is a possibility. The new CEO is Frank Cronin...

Who is also a director of Setanta (Media and Sports), Spin SW and KCLR.

He also used to be the MD of the Sunday Tribune

Sounds like a good business man with a CV like that. I'd say there'll be a change around soon enough so.

He'll probably try and make the station more appealing to sponsors. The schedule is a bit stale and a good shake up is needed (IMO). By changing things around it'll start bringing a bit of excitement to the station again - I hope.

Whats the ideal schedule line up so?

Move Hooky to breakfast?

Moncrieff to mid-morning?

Ger and/or Claire on drivetime?

mick_irl wrote: »
    Whats the ideal schedule line up so?

Move Hooky to breakfast?

Moncrieff to mid-morning?

Ger and/or Claire on drivetime?

Good question.

I'm sure I've said this a few times already, I'm not a huge Hooky fan, but I thought he was very good the week he full in for Ger. So I'd agree on hooky for breakfast.

Late Night Live back in the evenings.

About Claire and Ger, I'm not sure if I'd include them in a new line-up. Although Ger was brilliant on Off the Ball, but McDevitt is better suited now, and I don't think Ger is strong enough for a political/current affairs show. I'd move him to the weekend and give him Gerry O' Sullivan's sport show. It would bring Gilroy back to what he knows best.

I'd keep off the ball exactly where it is.

I'd move the Eamon Keane slot to where hooky is now. (With or without Eamon Keane). I feel that I'd enjoy harder hitting radio on my drive home from work, something harder than what hooky is giving us now.

I'd keep Moncrief where he is now, but, with a completely new format to the show - it's very stale at the moment (IMO).

About Tom Dunne, I'm not sure what I'd do with his show - I kind of feel sorry for him - he was perfectly suited in his Today FM slot. I'd probably keep him where he is - I don't usually listen to the radio at that time.

mcscrub wrote: »

I'd keep Moncrief where he is now, but, with a completely new format to the show - it's very stale at the moment (IMO).

Agreed.
    mcscrub wrote: »
    About Tom Dunne, I'm not sure what I'd do with his show - I kind of feel sorry for him - he was perfectly suited in his Today FM slot.

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Swap Dunne and moncrieff maybe. Move Hook to the 10-midnight slot.

Does anyone remember a football manager game years ago on the commodore 64 or something like that, where you got to manage football teams?

Well the game has changed - welcome to virtual radio manager!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Was listening to the repeat of the lunchtime show on way home last night hosted by John Keogh. Did anybody notice how he apologised for the poor quality of the interview with one of the members of mountain rescue (who was still up the mountain in poor weather conditions!), while there are countless poor quality sounding interviews without such a valid excuse that never get mentioned. I suppose though if they apologised all the time for the poor sound quality when there is no valid reason they'd never have time to talk about anything else :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement